Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2022 8:57:47 AM EDT

I was not previously aware of this.  Just realized 3/1/22 was my 3 month to renewal date for a 6/1 expiration and I had not done it yet.  

When I went to the ISP website to put in my renewal a box pops up stating that if I have a CCL that my FOID card has been automatically extended to the expiration of the CCL.  Long story short my FOID card has been automatically renewed through the expiration date of my CCL.  

What this might mean for purchasing ammo is my main concern.  Most online deals want your DL and FOID.  Will they accept my DL and CCL?  I don't know.

(c) Beginning January 1, 2022, if the Firearm Owner's Identification Card of a licensee under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act expires during the term of the licensee's concealed carry license, the Firearm Owner's Identification Card and the license remain valid during the validity of the concealed carry license and the licensee does not have to renew his or her Firearm Owner's Identification Card, if the Firearm Owner's Identification Card has not been otherwise renewed as provided in this Act. Unless the Illinois State Police has reason to believe the licensee is no longer eligible for the card, the Illinois State Police may automatically renew the licensee's Firearm Owner's Identification Card.

View Quote

Perhaps I just haven't been paying attention, but I'm sure some of you who were dreading ammo purchases because of FOID renewal delays may have get a little mental relief from this one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If you receive a new FOID/FCCL card, without an expiration date printed on it, a local retailer in Illinois will have to contact the Illinois State Police to verify your FOID is valid before they can sell you a box of .22 LR ammunition.

Thank the ISRA for their involvement in drafting this legislation.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 12:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you receive a new FOID/FCCL card, without an expiration date printed on it, a local retailer in Illinois will have to contact the Illinois State Police to verify your FOID is valid before they can sell you a box of .22 LR ammunition.

Thank the ISRA for their involvement in drafting this legislation.

View Quote

Wow.  What a farce this state is.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 3:24:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought ammo at Walmart this morning using a new(no exp date) foid. They just entered the foid # into their register like usual and rang up the sale.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I bought ammo at Walmart this morning using a new(no exp date) foid. They just entered the foid # into their register like usual and rang up the sale.
View Quote

A walmart with ammo.
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE:

I received a letter from the ISP.  It is a reminder to renew my FOID card before it expires or cancel it.  

However it states the expiration date of my FOID is Dec 2024.......the date my CCL expires.

Apparently the people who work in the firearm services office are still sending out the old letters, but the computer system has automatically updated the expiration date.  One would think that between the passage of 65/7(c) and March 11 they would have put someone to the task of updating their form letter so that people actually know what the F is going on..........but of course that would be obvious and might require some initiative and care by state employees.

Link Posted: 4/8/2022 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

A walmart with ammo.
View Quote

My local Walmart (Morton) regularly has .22lr in stock. 3(total) box limit though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top