Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2018 12:05:34 PM EDT
I figure it might be a stretch, but the rules for pistols are a single shot, 30 or bigger caliber.  So, would an AR pistol with the gas tube removed count?

Wishful thinking most likely and you would definitely get the attention of the dnr I would assume.

What do you use for pistol season?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I figure it might be a stretch, but the rules for pistols are a single shot, 30 or bigger caliber.  So, would an AR pistol with the gas tube removed count?

Wishful thinking most likely and you would definitely get the attention of the dnr I would assume.

What do you use for pistol season?
View Quote
This is actually genius! Buy a 300BLK barrel with no gas port, don't install gas system parts (unless the AR platform needs them for structural integrity), and cycle the action manually after each shot.

Attention or not - if you are legit, the DNR can ask but after you answer they should move along. Although, "Yes, I realize this is a pistol with a 16" barrel, but ..." might be interesting?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:23:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking using a set screw or clamp on gas block and removing it for hunting.   Don’t want to start a caliber war but it might be the ticket for using an AR pistol in illinois for hunting, which would be awesome.

Eta: looks like the case length might disqualify it, must be less than 1.4 inches case length
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was thinking using a set screw or clamp on gas block and removing it for hunting.   Don’t want to start a caliber war but it might be the ticket for using an AR pistol in illinois for hunting, which would be awesome.
View Quote
Wouldn't gas escape? Isn't that bad a couple different ways?
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 7:44:26 AM EDT
[#4]
All you need is a single shot lower. It doesn't matter if the brass ejects since there's no way for the pistol to reload.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 1:58:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Eta: looks like the case length might disqualify it, must be less than 1.4 inches case length
View Quote
300 Blackout case is shorter than 1.4.

Simply removing a gas block or gas tube will result in a dangerous blast of gas somewhere you don't want it.

Clamp over the gas port, use a single shot lower, or use a SLED.

It's completely ignorant, which makes it completely consistent for Illinois, to limit handguns to single shot unless it's a revolver and then it's unlimited... while shotguns are allowed 2+1. 5+1 for handguns would put manually operated or semi-auto on relative parity to revolvers but that would make way too much sense.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All you need is a single shot lower. It doesn't matter if the brass ejects since there's no way for the pistol to reload.
View Quote
QFT

If you can load a magazine it is not single shot

I own a semi automatic single shot Winchester 22...it has a trap door that you use to reload after ever shot but it is a semi auto.

Get a single shot ar lower or weld the magwell so it can't take a magazine and you have by definition made it single shot as it has to be reloaded every time after being fired.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used a .300BLkOut pistol for several years.  I use a T/C Encore it started as a pistol frame (just to be safe) Bergera barrel and a SBx Brace.

A single shot is a firearm that can only fire a single round.  I know guys who use AR15 .300 Blk pistols without a magazine assembly in their possession and have not had any issues.

Do what you feel comfortable with, but if you are using it without a magazine or with a sled, I would not have an operable magazine in possession in the field while deer hunting.

We need a concentrated push for legalizing pistols caliber rifles. All adjoining states now allow pistol (or rifle) caliber for deer hunting.  These would so much more kid and women friendly deer hunting firearms.

Problem is loudest outcry will come from other hunters (bowhunters).
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies, lots to think about.  I had no idea they made single shot lowers but for the price it would be cheaper to bubba an Anderson or 80% lower.

I agree with RRA15 that rifle calibers should be allowed, if anything for youths for starters.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I might be mistaken, but I thought Illinois didn't allow bottleneck cases for pistol hunting.  When I was considering a .300 BLK several years ago, the case shape topic came up in discussion with friends.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/Pages/HuntingDevicesandAmmunition.aspx

Deer

Centerfire revolvers or centerfire single-shot handguns of .30 caliber or larger with a minimum barrel length of 4 inches.

For handguns, a bottleneck centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger with a case length not exceeding 1.4 inches, or a straight-walled centerfire cartridge of .30 caliber or larger, both of which must be available as a factory load with the published ballistic tables of the manufacturer showing a capability of at least 500 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle. Note: There is no case length limit for straight-walled cartridges.

Non-expanding military style full metal jacket bullets cannot be used to harvest white-tailed deer; only soft point or expanding bullets (including copper / copper-alloy rounds designed for hunting) are legal ammunition.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks. I was mistaken or my info was not up to date. Moot point now. I've moved to Missouri and plan to hunt my own land. Maybe I'll use my 10" .300BLK  here with a magazine attached.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I agree with RRA15 that rifle calibers should be allowed
View Quote
He didn't say rifle calibers, he said pistol caliber rifles. IE, the same cartridges that are legal now, just fired from a rifle instead of a handgun.

Since the whole rationale for the firearms & caliber restrictions is because of the danger of errant long-distance projectiles, allowing people to use the firearms that have the highest potential to hit the target would obviously be an improvement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 1:50:41 AM EDT
[#13]
By " SLED " , do you guys mean something like this?

Link Posted: 8/25/2018 2:14:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
By " SLED " , do you guys mean something like this?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.creedmoorsports.com/images/popup/AR6mmSled.png
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
Okay, thank you sir!

Sooooo....are some Illinois people taking something like this:

Attachment Attached File

in .300 Blackout...

inserting a "SLED" like pictured above, and hunting with their AR pistol...here in Illinois?
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Okay, thank you sir!

Sooooo....are some Illinois people taking something like this:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/369122/Screenshot_20180807-160158-650823.JPG

in .300 Blackout...

inserting a "SLED" like pictured above, and hunting with their AR pistol...here in Illinois?
View Quote
Looks like a plan to me. As previously mentioned I would not have a magazine in my possession if you're using a standard lower. The SLED is something for high power shooting, but if you're hunting where you could point the firearm at the ground while loading it would not be necessary. If you were paranoid you could put in a SLED and fix it in place with a nut on a mag release or something like that.

It's ok to stick a dowel rod in a shotgun magazine to reduce the capacity to legal limits, the same should also apply to reducing magazine capacity to zero.

Fixing this glitch should be on the radar of someone in the legislative body.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Looks like a plan to me. As previously mentioned I would not have a magazine in my possession if you're using a standard lower. The SLED is something for high power shooting, but if you're hunting where you could point the firearm at the ground while loading it would not be necessary. If you were paranoid you could put in a SLED and fix it in place with a nut on a mag release or something like that.
View Quote
The description of that sled says they are made out of delrin.

Delrin takes drilling and tapping pretty easy, so I reckon if you drilled a hole up at an angle and tapped, one could insert the sled in the mag well.  Then you could thread a screw of whatever sort through the sled.  Then you can crank down on it basically locking the sled into the magwell.

Then leave whatever tool or allen wrench you used to tighten the screw behind...before you head out to the treestand.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's ok to stick a dowel rod in a shotgun magazine to reduce the capacity to legal limits, the same should also apply to reducing magazine capacity to zero.

Fixing this glitch should be on the radar of someone in the legislative body.
View Quote
I contacted the dnr a few years back and was told it had to be a single shot lower. That it couldn't be modified to be a single shot. Originally I wanted to put a single shot follower into a magazine and lock it into place but was told I couldn't modify it to be single shot. Not really specified in the regs so it's whatever your comfortable with. The CO's in my area are pricks so I went with the dedicated lower to be safe.
Link Posted: 8/25/2018 10:21:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Forgive me for another possibly stupid question,  but where is the actual definition of single shot pistol in the wildlife code? Or the rule saying it cannot be magazine fed at all?

It matters for which way to go about making this work.  No mags equals sled/single shot lower, mag ok then brings up capacity and gasless upper of some sort.

I am planning on buying a 300 blk pistol either way, using it for hunting would be some sweet icing on the cake.

Again, thanks for the replies, I think this opens up a really cool option for illinois hunters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:46:09 AM EDT
[#20]
I decided this year to get a 300 bo barrel for my contender ...surprisingly hard to find in stock..i could only find a 16 inch. CVA used to make a pistol but it is hard to find in 300 bo.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#21]
slight thread drift...sorry...

I have not hunted deer since I moved back to this state in 1998.

The only deer "hunting" I have done before was on Ft. Bragg...and that was with a rifle... an M1A to be exact.

As I understand it, here in Illinois, if you plan on hunting with a shotgun and slug, then like way back in April, you were supposed to put in for your tags and committ yourself to whatever county...right?

So if you intend to hunt with a pistol this fall, were you supposed to have already put in for your tags in the spring?

Or can you buy pistol tags any time over the counter for any county?

When is pistol season anyway?

EDIT:  

nothing like the last minute to ask all these pertinent questions.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I contacted the dnr a few years back and was told it had to be a single shot lower. That it couldn't be modified to be a single shot. Originally I wanted to put a single shot follower into a magazine and lock it into place but was told I couldn't modify it to be single shot. Not really specified in the regs so it's whatever your comfortable with. The CO's in my area are pricks so I went with the dedicated lower to be safe.
View Quote
Yeah...that's what I am afraid of...some fish cop with a "Respect my authoritah!" attitude...with his interpretation of the regs/laws.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Forgive me for another possibly stupid question,  but where is the actual definition of single shot pistol in the wildlife code? Or the rule saying it cannot be magazine fed at all?

It matters for which way to go about making this work.  No mags equals sled/single shot lower, mag ok then brings up capacity and gasless upper of some sort.

I am planning on buying a 300 blk pistol either way, using it for hunting would be some sweet icing on the cake.

Again, thanks for the replies, I think this opens up a really cool option for illinois hunters.
View Quote
Over at the Illinois Carry forums some dude with the screen name "Uncle Harvey" welded up a steel lower and then added a filler piece to make it a single shot...all so he could hunt with it.

I bought a Sig MCX/Hybrid " pistol " in .300 Blackout earlier this month.  I put an EOtech on it.  As far as a range toy goes, it is lots of fun
(if I lived over in Missouri, I could make it more funner )

So it was about a week ago that I read somewhere that Indiana legalized .300 Blackout for deer hunting.  In turn, that prompted me to ask or look into hunting with my new toy in this state.

I figure worst case scenario, I could always put an optic on a Smith and Wesson 686 I have and stuff it with .357 Magnums.  I mean that is if I really, really wanted to try hunting pistol this year.  I would still have to buy a tree stand and all the other paraphenalia.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Sorry for the quattro post everyone.

What would have been really cool is if the IL DNR would have bumped the bottlenecked case dimension to say 1.53".  That way 7.62X39 could get to "play" as well.  But I would imagine seeing camo'ed up hunters stomping around the woods with pistols that look like AK47s is too scary for some people.

And it would have offered up more barrel choices for guys with Contenders....as long as everybody used non-FMJ 7.62X39 rounds.

And what would be even more cooler is if the IL DNR had an FAQ section on its website, where this exact question we are all asking could be asked, answered, and published for all to see.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 1:50:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

EDIT:  

View Quote
Thought there was a separate handgun season at one time but found nothing on a separate season now.

Seasons and application/permit info
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/deer/Pages/DeerSeasonsDeadlinesAvailablePermits.aspx

SEASON DATES
• 1st Firearm Season: Nov. 16 - 18, 2018
• 2nd Firearm Season: Nov. 29 - Dec. 2, 2018

•2018 Muzzleloader Deer Seasons
 Muzzleloader 1st Season -   November 29 & 30; December 1 & 2
 Muzzleloader-Only Season - December 7, 8 & 9
 Muzzleloader-Only Season: Dec. 7 - 9, 2018 (Hunters may also use a muzzleloader permit with a muzzleloader during 2nd Firearm Season Nov. 29 - Dec. 2)

• 2018 Archery Deer Season:  October 1, 2018 - January 20, 2019

• 2018 Youth Firearm Deer Season: October 6, 7 & 8

Hunting Hours
One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Persons hunting deer must have gun unloaded during hours when deer hunting is unlawful. See “Legal Hunting Devices” for description of unloaded muzzleloader.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:17:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thought there was a separate handgun season at one time but found nothing on a separate season now.

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting/deer/Pages/DeerSeasonsDeadlinesAvailablePermits.aspx

SEASON DATES

Muzzleloader-Only Season: Dec. 7 - 9, 2018 (Hunters may also use a muzzleloader permit with a muzzleloader during 2nd Firearm Season Nov. 29 - Dec. 2)

Hunting Hours
One-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. Persons hunting deer must have gun unloaded during hours when deer hunting is unlawful. See “Legal Hunting Devices” for description of unloaded muzzleloader.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

SEASON DATES

Hunting Hours
Danke!

EDIT:  it looks to me like the IL DNR is using the catch all term "firearm".  Yeah, I also notice there wasn't a specific mention of pistol or handgun season...but on the flip side, there wasn't a specific mention of a shotgun slug only season either.

/EDIT

It looks to me that because I didn't put in for the first, second, or third lotteries, then my only option is this:

...Remaining Deer/Muzzleloader permits (county-issued) after 3rd Lottery Drawing will go on sale over the counter(OTC) beginning October 16, 2018....
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 2:58:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe the first handgun seasons were a special handgun-only season in January.

That was done away with and all firearm seasons were combined. Now you get a firearm tag, and use your choice in firearm be it shotgun, muzzleloader, or handgun.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
slight thread drift...sorry...

I have not hunted deer since I moved back to this state in 1998.

The only deer "hunting" I have done before was on Ft. Bragg...and that was with a rifle... an M1A to be exact.

As I understand it, here in Illinois, if you plan on hunting with a shotgun and slug, then like way back in April, you were supposed to put in for your tags and committ yourself to whatever county...right?

So if you intend to hunt with a pistol this fall, were you supposed to have already put in for your tags in the spring?

Or can you buy pistol tags any time over the counter for any county?

EDIT:  

View Quote
Yeah. It is a lotto system that starts in April for gun and it is county specific. I already have my tags. Its a lot of work for such a few days being able to hunt with a gun...makes me want to move back to Indiana.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yeah. It is a lotto system that starts in April for gun and it is county specific. I already have my tags. Its a lot of work for such a few days being able to hunt with a gun...makes me want to move back to Indiana.
View Quote
Back when I was a millwright, I did a shutdown/turnaround at the Calloway nuclear power plant near Fulton, MO.

I could swear there was a time or two I was at a Huck's or Casey's gas station near there and some guy(s) was buying his deer tags (I am assuming for rifle) right over the counter from the same cashier everybody else was buying their smokes and beer from.

This was in the fall...so probably right in or near the start of their deer season.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 1:50:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Back when I was a millwright, I did a shutdown/turnaround at the Calloway nuclear power plant near Fulton, MO.

I could swear there was a time or two I was at a Huck's or Casey's gas station near there and some guy(s) was buying his deer tags (I am assuming for rifle) right over the counter from the same cashier everybody else was buying their smokes and beer from.

This was in the fall...so probably right in or near the start of their deer season.
View Quote
I believe they will sell extras otc if the don't hit the quota with the lottery...probably doesn't happen often anymore

They are now even talking about a lotto for archery in my county...i am not sure how they would work that with archery tags not being county specific
Link Posted: 8/28/2018 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#31]
There is No definition in the Wildlife Code or the Administrative rules of a Single Shot Pistol.  Only a Minimum barrel length (4") and caliber requirements.
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I've been using an AR pistol in 300AAC for a couple of years now.  A devise that prohibits the gun from automatically loading another round is all that is needed.  This can be accomplished as easily as using a sled or a single-shot follower in a standard magazine.  The latter is what I have been using.  I have shown my rig to three CPOs and all have approved of the conversion.

It's important to remember that the law concerns the loading of the firearm.  That it automatically ejects the shell means nothing.

I don't know why guys tend to make this harder than it needs to be.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:56:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can, but it depends on the county.

If you are in a high demand county, with fewer tags, you need to get it in the lottery.  I can buy doe tags over the counter any time through season where I go, but buck tags are probably gone, but I have had some luck on the first week of over the counter sales.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 2:09:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

Just got my barrel in for my TC
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#35]
needs more Sig brace.

I kid....I kid...

That muzzle looks threaded....

Which optic are you going with?
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been using an AR pistol in 300AAC for a couple of years now.  A devise that prohibits the gun from automatically loading another round is all that is needed.  This can be accomplished as easily as using a sled or a single-shot follower in a standard magazine.  The latter is what I have been using.  I have shown my rig to three CPOs and all have approved of the conversion.

It's important to remember that the law concerns the loading of the firearm.  That it automatically ejects the shell means nothing.

I don't know why guys tend to make this harder than it needs to be.
View Quote
Danke!
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

needs more Sig brace.

I kid....I kid...

View Quote
I have a nikon pistol scope I put on it. I wish we could have silent things here as i dont wear ear pro while hunting

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
needs more Sig brace.

I kid....I kid...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
needs more Sig brace.

I kid....I kid...

No kidding! .30 Bellm on top, .357 Max on bottom.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Got my new crusher grip installed

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can, but it depends on the county.

If you are in a high demand county, with fewer tags, you need to get it in the lottery.  I can buy doe tags over the counter any time through season where I go, but buck tags are probably gone, but I have had some luck on the first week of over the counter sales.
View Quote
I bought Fulton County either sex firearm tag OTC around Oct 19th.

The OTC stuff is typically for private land and you need a site specific firearm tag for public hunting areas.

However some public areas have lotteries where the morning of they let out a couple walk-ons who get lucky or other arrangements if you missed the state lottery.

It would be best to check the hunter fact sheet of any place you would consider going.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top