Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2018 12:56:41 PM EDT
So I did a impulse by of a 7.5 inch 300 BO upper on black Friday with the intention of building a home defense pistol out of it.  Now that I have read about it, there seems to be some functioning issues with the shorter barrels.  Anyone have any first hand experience or words of wisdom for a 7.5 inch 300 BO on a AR platform?

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've just read same stuff you've probably read.  Finicky gas problems with no adjustable gas block.  Read it can be remedied with round selection.  Sounds like a plan to be limited on which rounds you can use.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've just read same stuff you've probably read.  Finicky gas problems with no adjustable gas block.  Read it can be remedied with round selection.  Sounds like a plan to be limited on which rounds you can use.
View Quote
I will be reloading for it and I can easily put an adjustable gas block on it so maybe that will help.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I put adjustable gas blocks on everything now, it makes for a much better shooter.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Shoot it, then adjust if needed.  Built 3 different blackouts so far.  All ran like a top using both carbine and pistol gas systems.  If it ejects and locks back, you are set.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
My 8.5 " barrel uses a pistol-length gas tube and a low profile gas block and I can shoot sub-sonics and supersonic ammo all day long with no problems.
It is the carbine length gas tubes that may cause the problems, I have had issues on my first carbine upper which is a CMMG bought several years ago when .300" Blackout first started getting popular.
Its just a little finicky running subs with the suppressor on it so it may be a gas related issue and it isn't all the time which is very strange.
My reloads for subs use A1680.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My 8.5 " barrel uses a pistol-length gas tube and a low profile gas block and I can shoot sub-sonics and supersonic ammo all day long with no problems.
It is the carbine length gas tubes that may cause the problems, I have had issues on my first carbine upper which is a CMMG bought several years ago when .300" Blackout first started getting popular.
Its just a little finicky running subs with the suppressor on it so it may be a gas related issue and it isn't all the time which is very strange.
My reloads for subs use A1680.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:00:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I've never had a problem with mine (8" barrel), I shoot mostly hand loaded subs with no cycling problems.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My 8.5 " barrel uses a pistol-length gas tube and a low profile gas block and I can shoot sub-sonics and supersonic ammo all day long with no problems...
View Quote
Same setup here.  No adjustable gas block and it's been fine with everything I've put in it. Suppressed or not

1" shorter might be a little more finicky but I can't imagine it will be too bad
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]
The only thing my 8" 300BO has had issue feeding is 220gr subsonic. I hope to remedy that with a suppressor in the nearish future.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top