Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2021 9:37:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 1:12:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Grainger does - sort of. They sell drill rod and the Billings location opens early Monday. Drill rod works well and it's cheap  - $10 or under.

You want a 19/64" which is 0.297". Works great for the 0.300" bore of American thirty caliber barrels
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Not a problem. Bore alignment rods are just drill rod with a name brand and ten times the price anyway!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 4:57:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I picked it up from grainger. The ends are slightly buggered up but that is an easy fix.
View Quote

Yeah that'll happen sometimes - but saving $50 or more for a few minutes worth of work is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:47:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Well that's disappointing. Had you tried straightening it? I've - very rarely - been handed a slightly bent chunk of drill rod over the counter and I asked for a straight one. They were happy to oblige but that was a few years ago.

Every last one Grainger (and Zoro and McMaster-Carr) has mailed me has been dead straight.

Out of curiosity did you go with W1 or O1? I wonder if it makes a difference in how straight the stock is.

Regardless of any of that - it's fairly easy to straighten if you run out of other options. Support it on either end of the warped area and push gently - that's all it should take at that size.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:28:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I got a refund and ordered another. As far as steel type, I am not sure.

I picked up the replacement today and it was much better. I had to clean up the ends again but it seemed to be straight.

I am not going to be able to shoot my siaga ak 47 suppressed as it hits the side of the end cap. Bummer...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well that's disappointing. Had you tried straightening it? I've - very rarely - been handed a slightly bent chunk of drill rod over the counter and I asked for a straight one. They were happy to oblige but that was a few years ago.

Every last one Grainger (and Zoro and McMaster-Carr) has mailed me has been dead straight.

Out of curiosity did you go with W1 or O1? I wonder if it makes a difference in how straight the stock is.

Regardless of any of that - it's fairly easy to straighten if you run out of other options. Support it on either end of the warped area and push gently - that's all it should take at that size.

I got a refund and ordered another. As far as steel type, I am not sure.

I picked up the replacement today and it was much better. I had to clean up the ends again but it seemed to be straight.

I am not going to be able to shoot my siaga ak 47 suppressed as it hits the side of the end cap. Bummer...

It's totally doable to straighten the threads up - so to speak. Many Saiga rifles had decent enough threads with decent enough concentricity - but the shoulders aren't always square. Cleaning that up on a lathe is a quick option so you can at least try.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Do you know of any Ak smiths close by that can do the work?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's totally doable to straighten the threads up - so to speak. Many Saiga rifles had decent enough threads with decent enough concentricity - but the shoulders aren't always square. Cleaning that up on a lathe is a quick option so you can at least try.

Honestly I don't. I'd heard of a few here and there but that's ten years ago when Saigas were $250. Since I tend to work on my own stuff I rarely keep tabs on gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Copy. Is it easy to do yourself?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly I don't. I'd heard of a few here and there but that's ten years ago when Saigas were $250. Since I tend to work on my own stuff I rarely keep tabs on gunsmiths.

Copy. Is it easy to do yourself?

I might be the wrong person to ask. The first one I did was before I had a proper hydraulic press - and with borrowed lathe time. I made a little block of wood with a relief for the barrel pin and "pressed" it out with a sledgehammer. Removing the barrel involved a stack of nickels taped to a round rod of mild steel and more hammering with another wooden jig.

After that sure - all I did was set it up in the lathe between centers and square the shoulder up. Then of course I had to press the barrel back into the trunnion and drive the pin back in.

Five minutes worth of actual work with an hour or more of prep! That's gunsmithing for you.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Geissele sent me these last winter.

I could lend it to ya

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:56:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top