Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2021 2:16:23 PM EDT
We did a pretty good job in 2019 in sharing info here on gun bills coming up in the legislature.  I hope that we can build on that this year and keep the gun banners from having their way again.  Thanks again to all of those who wrote, called, showed up, and spoke on behalf of our rights here in NV - we will need you again this year!!

I will try to post in this thread as I see new bills hitting NELIS and sharing any other info as it comes.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#1]
AB78

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/81st2021/Bill/7347/Overview

AN ACT relating to firearms; exempting from a  background check the sale or transfer of a firearm by an unlicensed person to another   unlicensed   person   if   the   buyer   or   transferee possesses  a  permit  to  carry  a  concealed  firearm; and providing other matters properly relating thereto.

Legislative Counsel’s Digest:

Existing  law:  (1)  generally  prohibits an  unlicensed  person from  selling  or transferring  a firearm  to  another  unlicensed  person  unless  a  licensed  dealer  first conducts  a  background  check  on  the  buyeror  transferee;  and  (2)  makes  certain sales  or  transfers  of  a  firearm  exempt  from  such  a  background  check.  (NRS 202.2547,   202.2548)   This   bill   exempts   from   the   requirement   to   conduct   a background  check  the  sale  or  transfer  of  a  firearm  by  an  unlicensed  person  to another  unlicensed  person  if  the  buyer  or  transferee  possesses  a  permit  to  carry  a concealed firearm.
View Quote

Simple bill that adds the CCW exemption to private party sales.  Looks good to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
AB80

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/81st2021/Bill/7349/Overview

AN  ACT  relating  to crimes;  authorizing  a  person  who holds  a permit to carry a concealed firearm to possess  a handgun in  a  motor  vehicle  that  is  on  the  property  of  the  Nevada System of Higher Education or a private or public school or   child   care   facility   in certain circumstances;and providing other matters properly relating thereto.

Legislative Counsel’s Digest:
Existing  law:  (1)  prohibits,  with  certain  exceptions,  a  person  from  carrying  or possessing  certain  weapons,  including,  without  limitation,  pistols,  revolvers  or other  firearms,  while  on  the  property  of  the  Nevada  System  of  Higher  Education or  a  private  or  public  school  or  child  care  facilityor  while  in  a  school  bus  of  a private or public school or child care facility; and (2) provides that any person who violates such a provision is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. (NRS 202.265) Existing law  also  prohibits  a  person  who  holds  a  permit  to  carry  a  concealed  firearm  from carrying  a  concealed  firearm  while  on  the  premises  of  a  public  building  that  is located  on  the  property  of  the  Nevada  System  of  Higher  Education  or  a  public school  or  child  care  facility  without  written  permission  from  the  president  of  a branch  or  facility  of  the  Nevada  System  of  Higher  Education,  the  principal  of  the school or the person designated by the child care facility to give permission to carry or  possess  the  weapon.  Any  person  who  violates  such  a  provision  is  guilty  of  a misdemeanor. (NRS 202.3673) This bill authorizes a person who holds a permit to carry a concealed firearm to possess a handgun on the property of the Nevada System of Higher Education or a private or public school or child care facility if the handgun remains out of common observation  and  is:  (1)  inside  an  occupied  motor  vehicle  or  an  unoccupied  and locked motor vehicle; or (2) stored in a locked container that is affixed securely to the motor vehicle.
View Quote

No quite the campus carry law we all want to see but at least we won't be committing crimes anymore simply by having our CCW in our car when we drop our kids off at school.  Another good law that will need our support.  If you know of any moms that will benefit from this directly (like my wife), it will be impactful to have them reach out as women and mothers since that can carry different weight than seeing and hearing from the same old guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
SB6

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/81st2021/Bill/7181/Overview

AN ACT relating to public safety; revising the persons authorized to file an application for an order for protection against high-risk behavior; renaming “ex parte order” to “temporary order”; making various changes relating to the issuance of orders  for  protection  against  high-risk  behavior;  revising the persons to whom  an adverse party must surrender his or  her  firearms;  requiring  a  court  to  order  the  return  of any surrendered  firearm  of  an  adverse  party  upon  the expiration  of  an  extended  order  for  protection  against high-risk  behavior;  revising  provisions  relating  to  the dissolution   of   orders   for   protection   against   high-risk behavior; eliminating the requirement for a court clerk or designee  to  provide  assistance  to  certain  persons  relating to  such  orders;  and  providing  other  matters  properly relating thereto.

Legislative Counsel’s Digest:  too long for me to copy and edit out the line numbers - click on the link and read for yourself
View Quote

Adjustments to the "Red Flag Law".  This bill seems to remove the ability for family members to apply the for the order directly and application must come from law enforcement.  Also removes the requirement to hold an official "hearing" and the judge can simply review the application and decide whether or not to issue the order.  I don't think that makes much difference any way since the subjects of the application would not be informed of the hearing regardless but I will leave it up to the lawyers to tell me if I am missing something.  Not sure about this one since Red Flag laws are BS to begin with.

Have we even seen any data on how many of these orders have been issued in the past two years?  Furthermore, any evidence that a single potential crime has  been prevented (other than "thought crime")?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for taking this up again this session.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 2:32:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
AB78

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/81st2021/Bill/7347/Overview

Simple bill that adds the CCW exemption to private party sales.  Looks good to me.
View Quote

I’d pay money to get this to pass. I doubt it will though because background check = good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top