BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2021 10:26:56 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Guess I'll go first.  

Attachment Attached File

15 Yards, .357 Marlin 1894CSS.  158 grn RNFP at about 1450 fps.  Looks like it will be a little over 6 feet, about 225 pounds.  Sow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2021 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
First time in my adult life. My freezer and every freezer in my family is full before the season starts. Gonna have to eat a lot of meat to make room for a late season hunt
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 11:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
We went out towards rappelja today looking for antelope. My wife has a b tag. Spotted a couple herds on block management but couldn't get close enough. Last herd of the day by the time we signed in, the herd had taken off.
If we had a antelope buck tag we could have gotten one as there was one bedded down 150 yards off the road. Oh well. Fun day anyway
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:24:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Pretty good opening weekend.

Attachment Attached File

Still have some deer to get.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 1:28:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty good opening weekend.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391359/20211024_104121_jpg-2142661.JPG

Still have some deer to get.
View Quote

Nice work!
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
That’ll fill a freezer well.

I hope to be as successful
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
I need to get everything figured out for next season.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Guess I'll go first.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509204/Untitled_jpg-2118794.JPG

15 Yards, .357 Marlin 1894CSS.  158 grn RNFP at about 1450 fps.  Looks like it will be a little over 6 feet, about 225 pounds.  Sow.
View Quote

15yrds that's damn close. I assume you had a change of shorts handy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Shot my deer today. Decent 4x4 mulie. 215 yards with my rem 700 .308. he was chasing a doe.
Is it me or are the deer numbers way down everywhere?
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think so. Seems like everyone is struggling.
View Quote

I haven't been out yet this year but I did take a drive yesterday to an area I usually hunt. Deer were out in force about 5:30pm per the norm.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The last FWP report I heard was numbers were way down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been out yet this year but I did take a drive yesterday to an area I usually hunt. Deer were out in force about 5:30pm per the norm.

Population numbers or harvest numbers?
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Harvest
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Population numbers or harvest numbers?

Harvest

Those should go up in the coming weeks as guys decide to tag out with a doe.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Decent buck, 375 Ruger @ 65 yards (it was a bit much, but I was really elk hunting.)

Edited to add, smoked whitetail ribs are damn good.  Don't mind the bullet holes.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:51:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509204/photo_2021-11-10_17-53-36_jpg-2162343.JPG

Decent buck, 375 Ruger @ 65 yards (it was a bit much, but I was really elk hunting.)

Edited to add, smoked whitetail ribs are damn good.  Don't mind the bullet holes.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/509204/photo_2021-11-10_18-10-26_jpg-2162369.JPG
View Quote

Nice buck and an interesting rack to boot.

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#21]
There's a really nice 3x3 mulie that transits my property.  REALLY tall but narrow rack.  Saw him from the house today and ran out in nothing but a pair of shorts and a 6.5G SBR.  Figured he was going after a doe the old dog was barking at this morning, so I threw on some clothes and headed out.  Spotted him, but he was skylined, I was unwilling to shoot in a situation like that, without a good backstop.  

Two more weeks to try to get him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Spent 4 days in the CMR looking for a muley buck. Could have shot a small buck, but passed, blew a stalk on another I never got a good look at his headgear (enough to know he wasn't very big either)

Absolutely bone dry over there.  Drainages dry, no muddy roads, most small retaining ponds dry.  Grass was dry like straw.  Saw a few does, way less than we usually see.  Neighbor in our camp shot a muley buck, my hunting partner looked at it and said it was pretty lean.  I'm thinking the ungulates are going to have a tough winter.

Did walk right up on the biggest bull I've ever seen.  He was a monster.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Went out for the first time this year,beautiful day,saw a small whitetail buck with a doe and a group of muley doe's,never got close enough to any of them to get a decent shot. I didn't even know the whitetail was a buck until he hit the skyline. Also crippled myself in the process.

In the last couple months I have developed what I assume is plantar fasciitis,and today must have been too much. I walked almost four miles and hobbled the last 2.5 back to my truck as best I could. I took some ibuprofen when I got home and then took a nap and when I woke up I was essentially crippled,I couldn't put any weight on my left foot.
I have been massaging it and doing some stretching techniques that have seemed to help. At least I can hobble around the house without having to use my grandpas cane now.Any one have any experience with home remedies that seem to work?
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:39:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Went out for the first time this year,beautiful day,saw a small whitetail buck with a doe and a group of muley doe's,never got close enough to any of them to get a decent shot. I didn't even know the whitetail was a buck until he hit the skyline. Also crippled myself in the process.

In the last couple months I have developed what I assume is plantar fasciitis,and today must have been too much. I walked almost four miles and hobbled the last 2.5 back to my truck as best I could. I took some ibuprofen when I got home and then took a nap and when I woke up I was essentially crippled,I couldn't put any weight on my left foot.
I have been massaging it and doing some stretching techniques that have seemed to help. At least I can hobble around the house without having to use my grandpas cane now.Any one have any experience with home remedies that seem to work?
View Quote
Soak in as hot of water as you can stand.

Tennis ball on the floor trick.

Try different insoles with various arch support.

Get check out to see if you have a spur.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Struck out on elk…the week we had to go to the beartooth wma didn’t work out well….winter hadn’t hit the surrounding areas at all, so the winter range was not in use.

Got this out of the Flathead river bottom area a couple afternoons ago….so at least we’re not skunked.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Soak in as hot of water as you can stand.

Tennis ball on the floor trick.

Try different insoles with various arch support.

Get check out to see if you have a spur.
View Quote

Lacrosse ball and a foam roller are awesome for rolling pretty much any muscle on the body.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Struck out on elk…the week we had to go to the beartooth wma didn’t work out well….winter hadn’t hit the surrounding areas at all, so the winter range was not in use.

Got this out of the Flathead river bottom area a couple afternoons ago….so at least we’re not skunked.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20662/DC0EB329-1031-457E-984B-929F104EF560_jpe-2179291.JPG
View Quote

Nice,good job. Looks like it tag stew for me this year unless something changes in the next couple days..
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Nice,good job. Looks like it tag stew for me this year unless something changes in the next couple days..
View Quote
Yeah. One of my neighbors saw the buck I've been chasing this afternoon. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and this weekend to get him.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yeah. One of my neighbors saw the buck I've been chasing this afternoon. I'm going to try to get out tomorrow and this weekend to get him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 2:02:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks. These tags are quite flavorless and chewy.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Spent 4 days in the CMR looking for a muley buck. Could have shot a small buck, but passed, blew a stalk on another I never got a good look at his headgear (enough to know he wasn't very big either)

Absolutely bone dry over there.  Drainages dry, no muddy roads, most small retaining ponds dry.  Grass was dry like straw.  Saw a few does, way less than we usually see.  Neighbor in our camp shot a muley buck, my hunting partner looked at it and said it was pretty lean.  I'm thinking the ungulates are going to have a tough winter.

Did walk right up on the biggest bull I've ever seen.  He was a monster.
View Quote

I was out there too.

Didnt see many deer. Group got 4 elk.
Spooked a few does at 600 yards.

Then one day i broke away from my uncle to investigate a steep coulee. Glassed as i approached it and saw this buck. Had only a few seconds to assess amd shoot it as it was walking over a little ridge to another coulee behind  it.

250 yds 6.5cm 16" barrel with suppressor.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

He was originally facing the other way walking over the trail ridge but flipped backward when i hit him. He was kicking an injured leg so i hit him again and he stopped moving.

Both were kill shots, but the first shot stopped in his opposing elbow (shattered that leg). Second shot exited.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Was hoping to add a buck to the larder but a nasty virus has taken me out of the game......not covid I don’t think as I can still smell.

Anyway. Was a pretty good year otherwise.

Didn’t see any nice antelope bucks so I ended up going for a handgunkill. Got him at  20 yards with my uberti Remington 1875 .45 colt. Attachment Attached File

Filled my muley doe tag with a custom 38-55 Winchester 94 I picked up in billings this spring.
Attachment Attached File

And the topper.   Dad drew a bighorn sheep tag for the north side of the CMR after applying for 45 years. He’s pretty crippled up so I spent all summer scouting wherever we could wheel him into.   Lucked out on the 17th.  Managed to get him onto a ram following some ewes around.      I was severely out of shape but we got him hauled out.      He got him with a 257 weatherby and the horn ID button was 257 as well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:37:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Made my own mount.  First time doing it.

So i kind of messed up the orientation. But looks okay to me.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:33:31 AM EDT
[#37]
I got a small buck with half an hour to spare.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Tag soup for me this year,never made it out again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Same, aftermath of windstorm 2 weeks ago kept me busy cutting free near-miss firewood.
View Quote

We were out hunting in that wind. it was nuts. Vehicle was rocking we couldnt even keep binos still inside it .

We walked around for 3 or 4miles and were beat from fighting the wind. Spotted a group of 9 bedded deer but couldnt see what they were due to shaking.

Then we attmepted a sloppy stalk and they spooked at 600 yards. As they were leaving over a saddle,  i saw a really wide rack. (Would have been for my uncle's tag).  We thought  we might see them over the ridge so we kept following them but they were gone. That wind was insane!Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Tag soup for me this year,never made it out again.
View Quote

Sorry fella! I didn't end up donating to fwp this year. Didn't manage to buy tags of any kind.

So... no soup for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top