Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2018 4:01:30 PM EDT
I wanna see how everyone is doing! I got out a few times for some archery hunting and sadly became a vegetarian for those days. Got on bunch of deer (Busted at 90yds), pigs, and even a mountain lion. Wish I had my rifle when I glassed up the lion. I've seen quit a few of them bad boys lately.

Deer I have been doing spot and stalk only and really really want a archery Coues deer. Shot Mulies already and smoked Coues with my rifle...... Just need get that bow kill! But I am way to impatient to sit water.

Here are couple pics thru the ol bino's that I have seen lately. The deer pic below was a group of Coues deer, Mule Deer, and Javelina all on the same little hill chilling with each other. Can't see the MD or the pigs cause I zoomed in on the WT.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My next hunt will be helping buddies with HAM 36A tags. Then I have a rifle 23 tag im going to use and help some kids pop a couple pigs. Then back to archery Turkey and shed hunting after javelina season!!!!

April I have a TX Hog hunt to wrap up my Spring hunting season.

BTW!!! DONT FORGET TO PUT IN YOUR ELK AND PRONGHORN APPLICATIONS!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
LOVE that lion pic. In all the years I've been out and about, I have still yet to see one. Seen plenty of the bobcats, but no big boys yet.

I had opening day archery pig success right next to Mayer/Spring Valley. Not a big stink pig, but he has some really nice teeth, so I'm getting a head mount done.

Hoping to get Elk and/or Antelope tags this year instead of adding to a mountain of points. Also going to do a New Mexico cow elk hunt to make sure I put some meat in the freezer.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a HAM hunt in 20B starting a week from this Friday. I have two good spots I've scouted for pigs with another half dozen locations on standby.

@chevy69002000 tell us about your archery javelina hunt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:47:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck getting that archery Coues' deer.  Those things are bastards.  I'm like you, I can't stand sitting on water.  At most I can go about 2-3 hours before I get bored and start taking practice shots at dirt clods with my judo point.

That terrain looks familiar.  Were the javelina near the cave in 36A?  What unit was the lion in?  I'm going to try to glass one up in the Rincons during February and March.

I did a lot of deer hunting this month but struck out.  Saw some nice big mulies and passed on several little guys early on in the month but just couldn't close the distance on a mature buck.

My next hunt is a 36B HAM hunt in a week.  Planning on using my recurve for that.  I need to kill something bigger than a jackrabbit with it.

I also picked up a bear tag so I'm going to try to get a spring bear when the season opens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good luck getting that archery Coues' deer.  Those things are bastards.  I'm like you, I can't stand sitting on water.  At most I can go about 2-3 hours before I get bored and start taking practice shots at dirt clods with my judo point.

That terrain looks familiar.  Were the javelina near the cave in 36A?  What unit was the lion in?  I'm going to try to glass one up in the Rincons during February and March.

I did a lot of deer hunting this month but struck out.  Saw some nice big mulies and passed on several little guys early on in the month but just couldn't close the distance on a mature buck.

My next hunt is a 36B HAM hunt in a week.  Planning on using my recurve for that.  I need to kill something bigger than a jackrabbit with it.

I also picked up a bear tag so I'm going to try to get a spring bear when the season opens.
View Quote
No cave, but the lions I've seen down here have been 36A and 36C. Good luck on the HAM hunt! There was lots of leftovers for that hunt and wish I had time to go get one. You hunting the north east side of tumacocori mtns? Seen pigs up in there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:36:07 AM EDT
[#6]
No, I mostly hunt the west end of the unit, on the refuge.    I need to spend more time exploring around Arivaca Lake and the I-19 side.

I have 2 friends that have killed lions in 36C but I've never seen one with all the glassing I've done in there.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I just did my elk and pronghorn apps and noticed that my portal account shows I don't have any bonus points.  Has anyone else noticed this with the new login?
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just did my elk and pronghorn apps and noticed that my portal account shows I don't have any bonus points.  Has anyone else noticed this with the new login?
View Quote
Just went and checked and I still have my points. That would have been a pisser if they would have disappeared.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Lions always seem to appear whenever I'm without a rifle too. Cool pics.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 7:01:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought a lion tag every year for nearly twenty years. During that period, two years in a row, I didn't have a tag and I saw a lion in range. I haven't bought one in awhile.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Got it done today on the HAM hunt.

Link Posted: 2/28/2018 2:03:23 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended my 2018 spring javelina pretty good. Missed a couple Javi in Jan with my bow but smacked this one with my rifle. Was using the M1 garand but had some zeroing issues. Either way it was a great hunt.

Attachment Attached File

Next is OTC Archery Turkey, CA fishing trips, and a TX Hog hunt before summer gets into full swing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top