Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2018 3:31:29 PM EDT
It’s about time for us Valley residents (and other locals ) to start getting out of the heat, and into the woods. Rural Arizona has a ton of beauty - let’s show off some of that beauty in here over the next several months.

I intend to make haste this season. Plan to head out on some kind of adventure every other week/weekend from May through October. I’m always looking to meet up with other local like-minded camping/outdoor enthusiasts, as well. Feel free to shoot me an email/PM if you’d be interested in meeting up for a beer or something, and discussing some potential trips.

I’ll be updating this thread periodically with some pictures, info, etc, as trips are completed. Since I don’t want to repost any pics from last season, I will have to start off with just a couple shots from a recent quick trip through the Mogollon Rim - my first trip of the season.

Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Will do!

We got a spot labor day weekend at the North Rim Campground.

Planning on doing some stuff up on the Rim again as well.

Did go hiking up pine creek canyon a few weeks ago.

New bridge over the creek
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:46:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to camp at least 1 weekend every month, but lately my wife has me on more road trips and motel stays than tent living. We've taken weekend trips to Williams, Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, Holbrook, Winslow, and Safford so far this year.

Recent camping trip just past Payson.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Heading up to Payson area next weekend for 4 days of camping/off net/unreachable - looking forward to it. Class C camping though, so more like Glamping.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Some nice shots thus far - let’s keep em coming!

And, “glamping” is a highly subjective term. Some seem to consider sleeping in anything other than a bag underneath the stars as glamping. Others more consider it RV or trailer camping. All while everyone else falls somewhere in the huge grey area in between those two.

To me, there’s no reason not to be comfortable. I still always tent camp, or cram myself into the back of my FJ with my 100 pound furry sleeping buddy. It occasionally gets a bit cold, and I’m not always the most comfortable, but generally speaking, I’m always comfortable enough.

From there, eating good is essential. Some of my all time favorite meals have been cooked on mini propane grills or open fires out in the woods. Not to mention having all the other right gear and equipment with you. If you’re gonna do something, as I always like to say, do it right.

Enjoy your upcoming 4 day trip. I’m a bit jealous.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Lol.

Substitute Sasquatch Mountain Man for Bear Grylls, and I'd approve that chart.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote
yeah.. i think it was made before bear was outed.

I had updated it with les stroud, but dont know where i put it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

From there, eating good is essential. Some of my all time favorite meals have been cooked on mini propane grills or open fires out in the woods. Not to mention having all the other right gear and equipment with you. If you’re gonna do something, as I always like to say, do it right.

View Quote
I am a simple camping eater.. i hate cleanup... so my meals have always rotated around that.

Breakfasts are simple.. cold cereal, pop tarts, or oatmeal, and coffee.  No prep, no cleanup, off to relaxing faster.
Lunches are coldcut sandwiches, chips, and fruit... again, little to no prep, no cleanup, off to relaxing faster.
Dinners are where I like to cook.  Dutch oven or hobo dinners are regulars, and some times pan fried stuff like trout that I just caught or something.  If enough people I will do a dutch oven cobbler too.

And of course.. drink cooler is stocked with water, gatorade, beer, and other adult beverages.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh, I know how you roll. We’ve had this conversation before lol.

I always do quick and easy deli sandwiches for lunch, as well. But, breakfast and dinner, it’s grill time. I like to do those big.

What’s a good way to get in touch with you, freeride? I know we were talking last year about meeting up at AZ Wilderness sometime. Your PM box is full, and I also shot ya an email.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 3:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Oh, I know how you roll. We’ve had this conversation before lol.

I always do quick and easy deli sandwiches for lunch, as well. But, breakfast and dinner, it’s grill time. I like to do those big.

What’s a good way to get in touch with you, freeride? I know we were talking last year about meeting up at AZ Wilderness sometime. Your PM box is full, and I also shot ya an email.
View Quote
yeah, my pm box is so full it aint even funny.. when you are a team member for so long your inbox gets rather large, and then when it lapses.. it is like 1900% full LOL.  when in reup next it will fix that.

you on the FB?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes. I do the Facebook.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 12:09:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Some nice shots thus far - let's keep em coming!

And, "glamping" is a highly subjective term. Some seem to consider sleeping in anything other than a bag underneath the stars as glamping. Others more consider it RV or trailer camping. All while everyone else falls somewhere in the huge grey area in between those two.

To me, there's no reason not to be comfortable. I still always tent camp, or cram myself into the back of my FJ with my 100 pound furry sleeping buddy. It occasionally gets a bit cold, and I'm not always the most comfortable, but generally speaking, I'm always comfortable enough.

From there, eating good is essential. Some of my all time favorite meals have been cooked on mini propane grills or open fires out in the woods. Not to mention having all the other right gear and equipment with you. If you're gonna do something, as I always like to say, do it right.

Enjoy your upcoming 4 day trip. I'm a bit jealous.
View Quote
Definitely looking forward to getting out of the city for a bit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Lol.

View Quote
does this mean you are a believer also? maybe had a past experience?
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#15]
We scored a spot at the Grand Canyon North Rim campground Labor day weekend!!!  Cant wait.

In the mean time..

My wife is between jobs and just doing some part time stuff right now so she has a lot of free time.. she has been hiking a lot lately.. kinda jealous.

Lost Dutchman State Park this morning.  She said it was gorgeous, and the morning temps were perfect for being over there.

Wifes pics of our dogs... who love hiking!

Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol.

I’m a believer in Laramy Miller:

Sasquatch Mountain Man

Bigfoot...not so much.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We scored a spot at the Grand Canyon North Rim campground Labor day weekend!!!  Cant wait.

In the mean time..

My wife is between jobs and just doing some part time stuff right now so she has a lot of free time.. she has been hiking a lot lately.. kinda jealous.

Lost Dutchman State Park this morning.  She said it was gorgeous, and the morning temps were perfect for being over there.

Wifes pics of our dogs... who love hiking!
https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/982/41873522571_cbf188ac60_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/948/41873518881_f03a40fcdc_b.jpg
View Quote
Nice. I got a Rim trip on the books a week from today. Will be my first real kickoff for this season.

Also have 10 days planned all over Idaho and Montana in June. My dad and I are looking for a family hunting/vacation cabin out of state. It may not be Arizona, but I’m gonna post a ton of pics from that trip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nice. I got a Rim trip on the books a week from today. Will be my first real kickoff for this season.

Also have 10 days planned all over Idaho and Montana in June. My dad and I are looking for a family hunting/vacation cabin out of state. It may not be Arizona, but I’m gonna post a ton of pics from that trip.
View Quote
Sweet!

I L O V E Montana and Idaho myself.

My father and I are backpacking Grand Gulch in Utah in September as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 3:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
... tagged, but I don't do the pines until the monsoon is in full force
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... tagged, but I don't do the pines until the monsoon is in full force
View Quote
Because of fire?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It’s about time for us Valley residents (and other locals ) to start getting out of the heat, and into the woods. Rural Arizona has a ton of beauty - let’s show off some of that beauty in here over the next several months.

I intend to make haste this season. Plan to head out on some kind of adventure every other week/weekend from May through October. I’m always looking to meet up with other local like-minded camping/outdoor enthusiasts, as well. Feel free to shoot me an email/PM if you’d be interested in meeting up for a beer or something, and discussing some potential trips.

I’ll be updating this thread periodically with some pictures, info, etc, as trips are completed. Since I don’t want to repost any pics from last season, I will have to start off with just a couple shots from a recent quick trip through the Mogollon Rim - my first trip of the season.

https://i.imgur.com/sR7GfO5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/QFojwzc.jpg
View Quote
What kind of trees? Pine, hardwood?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:35:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Happy jack area. 5/4-5/6. Lady friend hadn't been camping in 5+ years. Overnights were beautiful. Slept out on cots. It was a very much needed escape from the valley and associated sources of bullshit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 1:05:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Heck yes!
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What kind of trees? Pine, hardwood?
View Quote
Well, I try not to discriminate against trees all that much, but what can I say, I’m a sucker for ponderosas. Pines, in general, will usually do, though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:06:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Great few days on the Rim this past week:

Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#26]
My buddy and i made it out just before the fires and fire restrictions.

It was a little chilly at night, but the 55*-60* days were beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice. We didn’t beat the no burn, but here was our campfire:

Propane fire pit. Best $100 bucks I ever spent. Actual police lit us up the first night - lights on, both officers popped out of the truck shining spotlights on us, and identified themselves as police. We didn’t even have a chance to say a word to them. They quickly saw the propane tank, and said that we were good, apologized, and told us to have a good evening.

And, those steaks look promising, man! Steaks are my absolute favorite thing to cook at least one night of every trip. Almost a requirement. For this recent trip, I brought up a few 2.5” thick 32 ounce prime bone-in ribeyes. I seasoned them aggressively with my special blend, and then got the propane grill going. First, did up 6 pieces of cherrywood smoked bacon in the skillet. Then, seared each steak for a minute on each side in the bacon grease. They were then put directly on the grill, and finished to medium rare. I gotta say, all of us there had had numerous amazing steaks already in our lives, but the general consensus was that these were definitely right up there amongst the top.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone attending the Overland Expo West in Flagstaff this weekend?
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I'll be there but not until Sunday if you want to show a Missourian around.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I'll be there but not until Sunday if you want to show a Missourian around.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would, but I got a big gathering going on this Sunday.

Heading up bright and early tomorrow morning with some local FJ enthusiasts, doing the expo during the day, and camping out with the group that night. Heading back to the Valley Saturday afternoon.
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Anyone around here studied in tribal rain dances? My wife is part Squaw, but as she likes to say, “just like her baby toe.” Not enough Native power within her to suffice. We need some rain. Bad.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Tough crowd in here.

Anyone been up to the Rim recently? I’m just curious what’s actually open right now. Need to escape the heat this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Have a place on a top of a mountain outside of heber, still hitting 90 degrees up there at 7400 feet
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tough crowd in here.

Anyone been up to the Rim recently? I’m just curious what’s actually open right now. Need to escape the heat this weekend.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:59:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Have a place on a top of a mountain outside of heber, still hitting 90 degrees up there at 7400 feet
View Quote
Hope your place is safe from the 377 fire that started yesterday.  Apparently a truck dragging chains set off 3 or more fires along highway 377.  
377 Fire
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:16:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hope your place is safe from the 377 fire that started yesterday.  Apparently a truck dragging chains set off 3 or more fires along highway 377.  
377 Fire
View Quote
Freaking really.. that sucks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Until restrictions are lifted.. just gonna have to settle for the cabin view.  Though no charcoal grills or fire pits allowed right now.  My sister and her SO got a propane grill for the place a few weekends ago because of that.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Freaking really.. that sucks!
View Quote
Went up yesterday to our place in Overgaard on a planned trip. Very scary scene as you descended from the circle k on top of the hill. The wind was blowing north east, so no smoke in town and it was mild temperature.

We left around 8pm knowing the power would not be back on and the town was going into water conservation due to pumps out. The Red Onion was on back up power, Forest Lakes did have power, possibly on Paysons grid.

About mm261 a guy hit an elk and we stopped to render aid. Car was totalled, driver was unhurt, and his nachos on the front seat had elk slurpee added. Guy was kinda tweakerish and wanted a clean shirt when HP showed. Told the officer he delivers pharmaceuticals and they were in the trunk with his shirts. Lolz Everything was under control and we left.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I try to camp at least 1 weekend every month, but lately my wife has me on more road trips and motel stays than tent living. We've taken weekend trips to Williams, Sedona, Flagstaff, Payson, Holbrook, Winslow, and Safford so far this year.

Recent camping trip just past Payson.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180314_184453-525020.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180316_124651-525024.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180316_123841-525026.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180314_185514-525027.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/144668/20180317_115141-525031.JPG
View Quote
@blt-2-drg

When you say  Safford, Im guessing you are meaning Mt graham?  If so what camp ground and any pics?  I grew up there, that Mt is a special place to me.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I usually camp at least one day every weekend.  But, I just head up to the Woodchute Area up on Mingus Mtn.  I just toss out my cot, sleep under my awning attached to my 4Runner.  If I am feeling like travelling, I have a couple special spots on the Mogollon rim that you have to have a good 4x4 to get to, but the sleeping right next to a 500 ft drop is amazing.   If anyone ever wants to go camping.  count me in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I usually camp at least one day every weekend.  But, I just head up to the Woodchute Area up on Mingus Mtn.  I just toss out my cot, sleep under my awning attached to my 4Runner.  If I am feeling like travelling, I have a couple special spots on the Mogollon rim that you have to have a good 4x4 to get to, but the sleeping right next to a 500 ft drop is amazing.   If anyone ever wants to go camping.  count me in.
View Quote
Never need to even slightly twist my arm to get me out for a camping trip.

Anyone know how the White Mountains are currently looking after the rain? Doesn’t seem like many areas got all that much. Really itching to get back out right now. Been nearly a month since my last trip. No free man was ever intended to live that oppressed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 2:22:51 AM EDT
[#42]
My moms place up in Pinetop got a lot.  I doubt enough to life restrictions
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I am going up to Woodchute area this Friday night
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#44]
We went down to lake Roosevelt a few weeks ago and it was really nice because the tent camping areas were mostly empty because of all the day users and Rv'ers. There were even clean restrooms and hot showers.

Listening to the coyotes howl at sunset and seeing the milky way was relaxing.

My new truck tent "glamping" rig.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I am going up to Woodchute area this Friday night
View Quote
Just noticed this. Had some friends in town staying with me last weekend. Hopefully next time.
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Anyone ever get down to Rose Canyon at Mount Lemmon? Wife and I are headed down there next week.  We haven't been camping in about a decade, should be interesting
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#47]
PM sent
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#48]
This Friday night I am heading up to just south of Williams.  it looks open, see if I can grab a camp overlooking the canyon.  HOpe I dont sleep walk.
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#49]
At the cabin(glamping so it counts) the whole week.. but been doing day trips.

Today was paddling around Woods Canyon Lake and of course you cant go without a view stop.

Link Posted: 7/26/2018 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Anyone take any good trips recently?

I finally have a few trips planned for August through September.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top