Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/15/2018 5:24:57 PM EDT
Anyone familiar with any 1k yard ranges in Georgia?  My searches have only turned up Cool Acres in Swainsboro, but seems a little pricy at $50/visit.  Any other options?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:27:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I can recommend several to you in Georgia, Tennessee, and South Carolina........but $50 to shoot on a 1,000yd range is cheap.   All the ones I recommend will cost that much, or more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Arena Training- 75$ day 1, 50$ for day 2 on select weekends. Range goes out to 2200m iirc

I’m looking forward to their next weekend that they have open. Need to get the magnums ready to really stretch them out.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunsite Hills is 750 I think.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
$50 is cheap for 1k yards. Hell, Georgia Gun Club charges $25/hr for 100yd indoor range.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Elberton gun club has a 1k match monthly (not at the club but near it) I don’t know the cost
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Elberton gun club has a 1k match monthly (not at the club but near it) I don’t know the cost
View Quote
I shot at Elberton a decent amount when I lived in Athens, definitely a nice range.

I didn't realize that $50 was a decent price, need to do a little more research!
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#7]
@Jason280

Arena is holding a range day on 1/5 and 1/6. The price has been adjusted to 65$ for each day. We’ll be there on Saturday.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Arena is holding a range day on 1/5 and 1/6. The price has been adjusted to 65$ for each day. We’ll be there on Saturday.
View Quote
Damn, its close to 3hrs one way...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Damn, its close to 3hrs one way...
View Quote
Damn, they have targets beyond a mile away...

Back in 2017, I was driving 2.5hrs one way just to get to a range that went out to 1300yds. 3hrs is worth it for the distance that you can shoot there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
3hrs is worth it for the distance that you can shoot there.
View Quote
I agree, but I probably need to work on hitting at 1k yards first...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree, but I probably need to work on hitting at 1k yards first...
View Quote
The trick is reading the wind...  I'm eagerly awaiting a new 1000 yard range north of Chattanooga, it'll be about two hours from my house, with electronic targets.  The range is complete, but only open to members right now, and I can't justify joining the range right now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The trick is reading the wind...  I'm eagerly awaiting a new 1000 yard range north of Chattanooga, it'll be about two hours from my house, with electronic targets.  The range is complete, but only open to members right now, and I can't justify joining the range right now.
View Quote
I hadn't done much shooting in windy situations until earlier this year when I got to shoot a bit at Arena during the Precision Rifle Expo.  I only managed 1 hit out of 5 shots at a 1000yd target w/ a .308.  The wind seemed to be changing constantly.  A Leupold rep was calling wind for me and I don't think I would have been anywhere close had I been calling it myself.  It was definitely an eye opener for me.  Later on I did manage 4 hits out of 5 on a 6.5 creedmoor @ ~840yds after the wind had calmed down some.  Other than being in the middle of nowhere, Arena is amazing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I hadn't done much shooting in windy situations until earlier this year when I got to shoot a bit at Arena during the Precision Rifle Expo.  I only managed 1 hit out of 5 shots at a 1000yd target w/ a .308.  The wind seemed to be changing constantly.  A Leupold rep was calling wind for me and I don't think I would have been anywhere close had I been calling it myself.  It was definitely an eye opener for me.  Later on I did manage 4 hits out of 5 on a 6.5 creedmoor @ ~840yds after the wind had calmed down some.  Other than being in the middle of nowhere, Arena is amazing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I went to a highpower clinic down at Fort Benning when Emil Praslick was still with the AMU, and we got to learn from him about reading the wind.  There's a reason I have a Kowa spotting scope, what was top of the line back then, my understanding is that there are better scopes now, but they cost a lot more.  Switching wind conditions is a bitch to shoot through, you usually try to identify a pattern and time your shots to hit the same pattern, and also try to get your shot off quickly so conditions don't change between when you call them and when you send the round (if you don't have a spotter).
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

also try to get your shot off quickly so conditions don't change between when you call them and when you send the round (if you don't have a spotter).
View Quote
My one hit w/ the .308 was this exact situation.  As I'm getting situated behind the rifle, the wind died down completely.  The spotter yells out to me to shoot dead center.  I end up rushing to run the bolt and take a shot.  That naturally ended up being my only hit then.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
The 65$ for Arena is worth it!!

Girlfriend at Arena Training-ELR

I’ll upload some of the other videos later.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Did you say 1200yds with a .223?  What grain bullet was she shooting?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did you say 1200yds with a .223?  What grain bullet was she shooting?
View Quote
Yeah, 1216yds. 75gr Hornady ELD-M. She went 9/10 on a full size IPSC target.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#19]
SWL 50 cal versus Car at 1216
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#20]
So, not being a long distance shooter, I have a couple of questions.  
223 @1216 was there a puddle in front or around the target?
850  -  what target were you shooting at, was it the one that had the "glare/spark" on the last 2 shots?
Target videos in general - Windy, mirage or camera ? or all 3?

Thanks for the videos, and nice shooting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So, not being a long distance shooter, I have a couple of questions.  
223 @1216 was there a puddle in front or around the target?
850  -  what target were you shooting at, was it the one that had the "glare/spark" on the last 2 shots?
Target videos in general - Windy, mirage or camera ? or all 3?

Thanks for the videos, and nice shooting.
View Quote
223@1216- There was a puddle in front of the target. When you impacted, the shrapnel would cause a splash. This is apparent in the 260 videos as well.

850-Yes. The one where I was shooting, I was aiming at the small target. The first two shots were just off of the left edge of the plate. I didn’t see the first one, saw it on the second, and made the adjustment for shots 3 and 4.

The targets being blurry was a byproduct of the mirage and 8-11 mph winds. I’ll post videos from earlier in the day when it was cooler. The image quality was much better. That said, we still could capture “splash” from dirt at 1960yds when the mirage was heavy.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 8:28:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Video from earlier in the day, before the mirage picked up.

SWL positional shooting 260

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 6:32:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the videos and explanations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yeah the car is over 1,200  yards at Arena.

Love that range. Didn't make this last one, but I need to get the family down there again soon.
View Quote
It’s a great range. I’ll definitely be going back for more of a practice scenario. Would like to get down there before the gas gun match
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 11:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
is there anything 1000+ that's closer to ATL?
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Arena Training- 75$ day 1, 50$ for day 2 on select weekends. Range goes out to 2200m iirc

I’m looking forward to their next weekend that they have open. Need to get the magnums ready to really stretch them out.
View Quote
I was at Arena today

I highly recommend it

Eta

Banged the car target many times with my 308, it's 1216 or 1217.

Hit the mile target with a 338 lm, that was fun and easier than I thought.

Excellent shooting vids, nice nice nice

Eta 2
Holy shit that hurricane made a mess didn't it
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:11:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I was at Arena today

http://i.imgur.com/orMCzIy.jpg

I highly recommend it

Eta

Excellent shooting vids, nice nice nice

Eta 2
Holy shit that hurricane made a mess didn't it
View Quote
nice.  what .308 pill were you flinging?  I've got a sweet 168g berger hybrid over varget load going 2815 out of a 26" bartlein with single digit SD's...
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 11:16:19 AM EDT
[#29]
175 gr bt matchkings moving at around 2600 fps got the job done. I was also shooting cheaper m80 out of my ar10.

2815 is really hauling the mail!!!  I bet that's fun!  I've got a bergara hmr, 20 inch barrel. The ar10 is a Rainier 20 inch barrel as well.  I'm going to fine tune some loads this summer I think, I have a pretty safe and vanilla recipe.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
The car or the IPSC? Any deviations with your dope while going transonic/subsonic?

Send me a message the next time you’re heading down. May can have a HTF long range day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
175 gr bt matchkings moving at around 2600 fps got the job done. I was also shooting cheaper m80 out of my ar10.

2815 is really hauling the mail!!!  I bet that's fun!  I've got a bergara hmr, 20 inch barrel. The ar10 is a Rainier 20 inch barrel as well.  I'm going to fine tune some loads this summer I think, I have a pretty safe and vanilla recipe.
View Quote
the 168 hybrid has a pretty high BC, and it craves faster.   it get's into 6.5 territory.  In fact, my dope on my 6.5x47 (also out of a 26" and going 2805) 147g ELD-M is exactly the same as the 168 .308, out to about 800-y.
Link Posted: 1/27/2019 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
the 168 hybrid has a pretty high BC, and it craves faster.   it get's into 6.5 territory.  In fact, my dope on my 6.5x47 (also out of a 26" and going 2805) 147g ELD-M is exactly the same as the 168 .308, out to about 800-y.
View Quote
How do the 168’s do when going transonic?
Link Posted: 1/28/2019 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How do the 168's do when going transonic?
View Quote
I don't have any hard dope past 1000 on the 168g, and I think it's good out to like 11 or 1200 before it goes transonic.   My longest confirmed is only 1508y, but that was with the 6.5x47...
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:15:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Fort Gordon has a POW range that officially goes to 825, but the regulars have targets set at 960 and 1k.
$12 to shoot, but you have to register your weapons to shoot at the range.
Link Posted: 1/29/2019 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Attachment Attached File

The 960 targets.  The 1k stands are farther right.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:34:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Fort Gordon has a POW range that officially goes to 825, but the regulars have targets set at 960 and 1k.
View Quote
register??
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:35:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169843/20190117_152417_jpg-825738.JPG

The 960 targets.  The 1k stands are farther right.
View Quote
also -- is that a mausingfield?  
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
register??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
register??
Yes, been going on about twenty years now, any weapons brought on post have to be registered with the MP's, non-military people have to fill out paperwork at least a week in advance (at least that's how it used to be) so they can run a background check on you and such.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, been going on about twenty years now, any weapons brought on post have to be registered with the MP's, non-military people have to fill out paperwork at least a week in advance (at least that's how it used to be) so they can run a background check on you and such.
View Quote
Ah.  My bad.  I thought something completely different.   I guess that makes sense.  Can't be bringing weapons onto a .mil base where actual military might get their hands on them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll look into the 168s, thanks for I'm the info
Link Posted: 1/30/2019 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Ah.  My bad.  I thought something completely different.   I guess that makes sense.  Can't be bringing weapons onto a .mil base where actual military might get their hands on them.
View Quote
If you think that civilains should be allowed to bring weapons willy nilly onto a military post you should reconsider coming on post to shoot. We dont need idiots around the range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you think that civilains should be allowed to bring weapons willy nilly onto a military post you should reconsider coming on post to shoot. We dont need idiots around the range.
View Quote
Easy cowboy.  No offense intended.  But I will say that the only mil base I've ever shot a match at, which was in NV, did not have this requirement.  So to me, it's surprising.  My joke was about that there are those who would prefer our military to be unarmed.  At all times.   I am not one of them.  Sorry my sarcasm doesn't always translate.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 8:21:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Easy cowboy.  No offense intended.  But I will say that the only mil base I've ever shot a match at, which was in NV, did not have this requirement.  So to me, it's surprising.  My joke was about that there are those who would prefer our military to be unarmed.  At all times.   I am not one of them.  Sorry my sarcasm doesn't always translate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry, I came off rather sharp. I read that in a whole different light and responded with more vehemence than was necessary.

Gordon is a rather unique post, vast majority are intel weenies and computer nerds.  The good news is that the ranges are all under utilized

The rifle is a ARC Nucleus, I couldn't swing the scratch for the Mausingfield when the Nuc was available. I am very, very happy with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Sorry, I came off rather sharp. I read that in a whole different light and responded with more vehemence than was necessary.

Gordon is a rather unique post, vast majority are intel weenies and computer nerds.  The good news is that the ranges are all under utilized

The rifle is a ARC Nucleus, I couldn't swing the scratch for the Mausingfield when the Nuc was available. I am very, very happy with it.
View Quote
I don't know anyone with an arc that isn't.  Ted over there probably gets a big laugh that his return rate is ZERO.  lols.  You didn't give me much to go on, but I do know a lot of those bolt knobs were sold on mausingfields.  I ordered my last action (a defiance deviant from short action customs alpha 11 line) right before the mausingfields came out and was still in pre-order.  It was too new then, I went deviant.  Since then, I've shot, fingered, and drooled over other people's mausingfields a few times.  I still love my deviant, and would buy another deviant in a heartbeat, but I also still want a mausingfield.  OK, let's be honest.  I want a nucleus too.   I mean, who doesn't?  what's not to like?  Anyway, nice action you have there.  Youtube has told me the nucleus is so glassy it's sik!

ETA:  there are so many really excellent custom actions out there now -- it really is a buyers market  -- which is why it makes me cringe every time I go to to shoot my un-trued non-blueprinted minimally gunsmithed factory Rem 700
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:17:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't know anyone with an arc that isn't.  Ted over there probably gets a big laugh that his return rate is ZERO.  lols.  You didn't give me much to go on, but I do know a lot of those bolt knobs were sold on mausingfields.  I ordered my last action (a defiance deviant from short action customs alpha 11 line) right before the mausingfields came out and was still in pre-order.  It was too new then, I went deviant.  Since then, I've shot, fingered, and drooled over other people's mausingfields a few times.  I still love my deviant, and would buy another deviant in a heartbeat, but I also still want a mausingfield.  OK, let's be honest.  I want a nucleus too.   I mean, who doesn't?  what's not to like?  Anyway, nice action you have there.  Youtube has told me the nucleus is so glassy it's sik!

ETA:  there are so many really excellent custom actions out there now -- it really is a buyers market  -- which is why it makes me cringe every time I go to to shoot my un-trued non-blueprinted minimally gunsmithed factory Rem 700
View Quote
I have no issues recommending the Nucleus, its pretty fantastic.

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Jury is still out....

Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:36:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I have no issues recommending the Nucleus, its pretty fantastic.

https://i.imgur.com/Yua4wsn.jpg
View Quote
baller
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Jury is still out....

https://i.imgur.com/aNYXgS6.jpg
View Quote
my 6.5x47 in a manners t4a elite....but I think I'm moving it over to my mpa comp chassis that is also the same burnt bronze as yours.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the MPA’s, and I’ll likely put the second Nucleus in an MPA, but I’ve been running Manners for awhile. Both are great stocks.

The jury is out on the Nucleus though. I like how it’s easy to change the bolt face, but there are things I’m not a fan of when compared to my Defiance Deviant actions.
Link Posted: 1/31/2019 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like the MPA's, and I'll likely put the second Nucleus in an MPA, but I've been running Manners for awhile. Both are great stocks.

The jury is out on the Nucleus though. I like how it's easy to change the bolt face, but there are things I'm not a fan of when compared to my Defiance Deviant actions.
View Quote
go on....do tell?

I have one MPA and am also planning to buy at least one, maybe two more if I sell my 2 manners.   Clearly people like them for a reason.  My 2nd choice though would have been the mdt lss xl, but again, just like the action(s), it's also a buyers market for chassis.  Lots of new options out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top