Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2021 2:56:34 PM EDT
Long story short, I found a low mileage 1996 Ford, but the ABS light is on.  Research says that it won’t fail NYS inspection, just a notice to fix. Anyone have any real world experience with NYS inspections...picture just because.

Link Posted: 5/24/2021 9:33:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe the ABS light being on will cause the vehicle to fail an inspection. The check engine light will though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I think ever other care in the North Country of NY has a "ABS" Check light on, mostly from corrosion from Road Salt....after you ignore it for a while you won't even notice the light on the dash.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m in the Fingerlakes, mechanics are wary of outsiders....I’m retired, from out of state, interesting
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Put a piece of black electrical tape over the light if it concerns you. As long as there isn’t an check engine light, the monitors run, and your safety stuff is good, there’s no issue.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put a piece of black electrical tape over the light if it concerns you. As long as there isn't an check engine light, the monitors run, and your safety stuff is good, there's no issue.
View Quote

I do not think a 1996 is subject to any emissions testing ,only safety inspections. 25 years or older.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I do not think a 1996 is subject to any emissions testing ,only safety inspections. 25 years or older.
View Quote
That is my understanding but I also thought emissions check was a downstate thing. You only see the white circle stickers here in the downstate region on either brand new vehicles or visitors from upstate.

At the moment I have the CEL light. The battery pack in my 21 year old hybrid is bad and that throws the CEL light. I am driving the car with the pack disabled and it works fine albeit without as much kick. I do not have inspection until November so I am putting off the pack swap as long as possible. I also need to replace the transmission as it is having problems too.Once the car hits 25 and the pack fails again, I can skip it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had my truck and my son's car inspected for the last several years with the ABS light on.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Unplug the bulb.  The ABS system isn't talked to if they do plug the vehicle in.  

I also know a guy.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#9]
No problem passing inspection with an abs light on.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#10]
It will pass. Check engine light codes stored in the computer or moniters not set will make it fail but an ABS won't. NY only cares about the cars emissions not your safety
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:15:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It will pass. Check engine light codes stored in the computer or moniters not set will make it fail but an ABS won't. NY only cares about the cars emissions not your safety and how much money they can screw you for.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2021 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all....now waiting for the title....Cayuga county still has mandatory DMV appointments.  At least in Virginia I could walk out of DMV with the title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top