Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2022 1:41:23 PM EDT
I have a new threaded barrel for a 1911 that needs some minor fitting.
It came with a new bushing, its just that the slide won't fully close.

Who does good work in Austin?
- hopefully in the NW/Cedar Park area.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Check with Blackjack Gunsmithing on Pond Springs.  Good folks and real-life machinists / gunsmiths.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a new threaded barrel for a 1911 that needs some minor fitting.
It came with a new bushing, its just that the slide won't fully close.

Who does good work in Austin?
- hopefully in the NW/Cedar Park area.

Thanks!
View Quote

I did one myself a number of years ago.  Well, not exactly a 1911...  A Ballester Molina, which is close.  I bought one of the cheapest grade that SARCO was selling at the time.  They'd already put a Wolfe spring kit in it, so it worked reliably, but the slide was loose like typical for a "well loved" 1911 and the inside of the barrel looked like a sewer pipe.  So I bought a new bushing, link and match barrel from MidwayUSA.  I peened the slide a bit to tighten it up.  But like yours, the slide would not close on the barrel.  It took me a bit of careful filing with small needle files to get it good.  File a bit, test fit, file a little more.  Just careful and slow until it would go.  Then cycled it by hand over and over until it was smooth.  After it was done it is tight as a drum, no slide rattle and it shoots right in there with my Springfield GI or my WWII made Remington Rand 1911.

Not saying you should...  but you could.  I love DIY projects so I found it very enjoyable.
Link Posted: 7/31/2022 12:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SNIP
..... a bit of careful filing with small needle files to get it good.  File a bit, test fit, file a little more.  Just careful and slow until it would go.  Then cycled it by hand over and over until it was smooth.  After it was done it is tight as a drum, no slide rattle and it shoots right in there with my Springfield GI or my WWII made Remington Rand 1911.

Not saying you should...  but you could.  I love DIY projects so I found it very enjoyable.
View Quote

Not afraid of DIY. Prefer it actually.
If I was sure about where it needed a bit of filing, I'd have done it already.
I've got a good idea of where it needs a a bit of metal removed (the link), just not SURE about it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2022 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Not afraid of DIY. Prefer it actually.
If I was sure about where it needed a bit of filing, I'd have done it already.
I've got a good idea of where it needs a a bit of metal removed (the link), just not SURE about it.

View Quote

I used old tricks to figure it out like putting marker on the parts then seeing where interference caused it to scuff.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I used old tricks to figure it out like putting marker on the parts then seeing where interference caused it to scuff.
View Quote

Duh!
I REALLY should have thought of that.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
See also:

Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 Shop Manual Vol 1 - PDF download

Volume 2 - PDF download
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
See also:

Jerry Kuhnhausen 1911 Shop Manual Vol 1 - PDF download

Volume 2 - PDF download
View Quote

Wow...  awesome PDFs.  Really appreciate that.  When I did it I just did my own hillbilly kind of work, but with those two books I might actually be able to be kind of almost per-feshunal.  Well, probably not.  But other people probably could.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top