Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2022 10:31:51 AM EDT
I was in Ocala for several days recently and tried to locate a 1,000 yard range to shoot rifles.  The wife and I are going to relocate to Florida within the next 18 months and I want to find a place that I can shoot groups on paper at 800 and 1,000 yards.  I drove a considerable distance in every direction and had no luck finding a range where I could join a club or pay for the day.

Anyone have any idea if such a range exists within a couple of hours drive from Ocala?

Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:54:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tradecraft Range has a 1300 yard range.  Tradecraftrange.com .
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.volusiacountygunclub.com/long-range/ - not quite 1,000 but they have long ranges out to 900 yards. About 90 miles from Ocala.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JTAC Ranch in Nichols, FL. (Polk County)

Nice range, just too spendy for my purposes.
View Quote

they're not taking any new memberships for the lowest level anymore. got to sign up at the $65/month or higher now.
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 11:22:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Bradford (between Gainesville and Keystone and Starke kinda) I think had at one point 1k+ but the website only lists out to 850 now...

https://bsfshootingsports.com/ranges-and-features/

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. It looks like I have a few options.

Pushing to get out of Illinois ASAP, but it looks like it's going to take a while.

Some of you might be wondering about an Illinois transplant's politics.  When it comes to firearm rights, I make Rush Limbaugh look like a left wing liberal.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
https://jtacranch.com/

Located in Nichols, Florida just south of Highway 60, our facility provides a broad range of opportunities for tactical and precision shooters to train and hone their skills.

Our 2000-yard precision range is the longest in the state, featuring known and unknown distance targets, elevated shooting positions and opportunities for unconventional firing positions. This setup is complemented by our 500-yard range which enables rifle zeroing and training for most hunting applications. Proceeding from long range to medium range, we have two twin 100-yard by 45-yard square bays for both static and movement-based carbine and rifle training. These bays will support a plethora of movement drills, including barrier and vehicle work. Finally, completing our full array of training options, JTAC Ranch features a village of force-on-force training environments for CQB tactics. These structures are modular and will be periodically rearranged to keep trainees on their toes. All our ranges will feature covered and uncovered shooting positions to suit various types of training. Our non-rage facilities include an obstacle course, pro-shop,  classroom/gym building and plenty of shade trees to stay out of the heat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/28/2022 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bradford (between Gainesville and Keystone and Starke kinda) I think had at one point 1k+ but the website only lists out to 850 now...

https://bsfshootingsports.com/ranges-and-features/

View Quote

Add a +1 for this one, if it is the place I remember.   They even had elevated shooting positions to simulate being in a tree stand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Add a +1 for this one, if it is the place I remember.   They even had elevated shooting positions to simulate being in a tree stand.
View Quote

I shot an Appleseed on Bransons 850 yard range, a few years back, seemed like a very nice range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 7:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We held a "Botter" shoot at BSF many years ago - it was nice facility and we all had a great time.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/766/AFneW-1816237.jpg
View Quote
Damn! That's a blast from the past. I guess we have met. I'm the guy holding the .50. Which one are you? That was a really fun day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Volusia Gun and Hunt club goes out to 1000.
Link Posted: 2/1/2022 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Cool, so they finally made that range extension. I need to visit there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Maybe some day, but for now it's only 900 yards.
Link Posted: 2/4/2022 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Damn! That's a blast from the past. I guess we have met. I'm the guy holding the .50. Which one are you? That was a really fun day.
View Quote

Talk about small world!
Link Posted: 2/6/2022 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was there today . Still 900, but a good time.

Ares in Lessburg is my "home range" but they're at 860 top right now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

People in two gun shops I went to in Ocala told me Ares had a 1,000 yard range.  I drove to Ares and learned it was 860 yards.  It's a nice range, but I was told it was not set up for me to shoot at paper targets and go down range to measure group sizes.  If I decide I just want to shoot steel, I will go to Ares.
Link Posted: 2/7/2022 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

People in two gun shops I went to in Ocala told me Ares had a 1,000 yard range.  I drove to Ares and learned it was 860 yards.  It's a nice range, but I was told it was not set up for me to shoot at paper targets and go down range to measure group sizes.  If I decide I just want to shoot steel, I will go to Ares.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah that sounds right, I think they're set up to drive you out to 400 or so right now if you want to do your own stuff. Don't know who the gunshop people were confusing them with, the site is pretty clear about the range specs. Ares is always upgrading something or other so I'd give them a call in a few months to inquire again, see if anything has changed. I'm going to bring my SPR out there for some exercise in the next month or so and will mention the same thing.

For now, chasing the glorious ping is enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2022 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://jtacranch.com/

Located in Nichols, Florida just south of Highway 60, our facility provides a broad range of opportunities for tactical and precision shooters to train and hone their skills.

Our 2000-yard precision range is the longest in the state, featuring known and unknown distance targets, elevated shooting positions and opportunities for unconventional firing positions. This setup is complemented by our 500-yard range which enables rifle zeroing and training for most hunting applications. Proceeding from long range to medium range, we have two twin 100-yard by 45-yard square bays for both static and movement-based carbine and rifle training. These bays will support a plethora of movement drills, including barrier and vehicle work. Finally, completing our full array of training options, JTAC Ranch features a village of force-on-force training environments for CQB tactics. These structures are modular and will be periodically rearranged to keep trainees on their toes. All our ranges will feature covered and uncovered shooting positions to suit various types of training. Our non-rage facilities include an obstacle course, pro-shop,  classroom/gym building and plenty of shade trees to stay out of the heat.

they only have steel targets to shoot and do not allow you to go down range to paint them.  If you are just looking to "hit" a target its OK but if you want to see your group or get precise dope on your load its not good when there are 200 hits on targets before you start shooting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I know of only 2 with 1,000+ yard range and another one that's about 850 yards located South of Orlando.  There is one 600+ yards in South FL.
All these ranges are in private agricultural land except the 600+ yard range in South FL which is on an undeveloped private property.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I know of only 2 with 1,000+ yard range and another one that's about 850 yards located South of Orlando.  There is one 600+ yards in South FL.
All these ranges are in private agricultural land except the 600+ yard range in South FL which is on an undeveloped private property.
Link Posted: 2/9/2022 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Name of the 600 yard range in south Florida? Pm if you prefer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 9:45:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Manatee Gun Club in Myakka is 628, 629 if you are a BR dip shit. Paper is at 628, steel is right behind paper, 2-3 yards or so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is really reinforcing that I have zero practical use for the 300PRC build I’m contemplating
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Manatee Gun Club in Myakka is 628, 629 if you are a BR dip shit. Paper is at 628, steel is right behind paper, 2-3 yards or so.
View Quote

What’s a BR dip shit?
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:54:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Bench Rest, some of those guys are ok, others are, just--

I still laugh at the time of of them shot his own camera
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Tradecraft Range has a 1300 yard range.  Tradecraftrange.com .
View Quote

I was under the impression it went to 1 mile....
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#29]
tradecraft goes to 1300  Jtac goes to 2000 yards and have targets at one mile and 1500 yards.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I moved the Ocala area back in the fall, and I'm also a long range shooter.

There's a 1000yd range in Palatka called Ascot.  I tried joining, right before I went to visit I got a call saying that membership was closed, so no idea if it's good to go.  I've also heard good things about JTAC and Bradford Sportsmans Farm.

I currently go to Ares Training Facility near Leesburg.  There is a range that goes to 400 that's open to the public, and another range that goes from 500 to 850.  You have to qualify by hitting a 66% IPSC 10 times in a row at 400yds.  It's not 1000yds, but I get lots of good practice calling winds because 20mph swirling winds are pretty common, and all I have is a 16" shooting Mk262.  The facility also has tac bays where most anything goes, but it can get pretty crowded on weekends.  I usually only see 1-2 other guys at the 850yd line when I am there.  The owner, Trey, is very nice and is very knowledgeable about guns.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:04:34 AM EDT
[#31]
@biometrician thanks for that - I was wondering what the “qual” process was at ares. I’ll try to knock that out this month.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:15:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@biometrician thanks for that - I was wondering what the “qual” process was at ares. I’ll try to knock that putt this month.
View Quote

It was surprisingly challenging- I did it using factory 77gr from a 16" AR in 20mph winds.  I burned through about 90rds- I'd miss the 9th or 10th shot and have to start over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#33]
FYI

Shad deer farm

1000 yard range

Lake butler, FL
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Any one else get the email from Trade craft range (posted on)  https://tradecraftrange.com/
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#35]
ya i got it they cancelled my reservation today at the 1300 yard range.  There is a match there this weekend wonder if that is  cancelled also.  Hope nothings up they have already gone out of business 2 or  3 times already at that location.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#36]
@reelserious Hoping so also. Where will you go if it goes under.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 2:43:39 PM EDT
[#37]
I was a member at JTAC but quit because you can't ever go downrange to paint targets then joined tradecraft.  

don't know just spent tons of money for new rifles also. I also donated over $1000 worth of steel targets there for them and hung them up with new posts and fire hose.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was a member at JTAC but quit because you can't ever go downrange to paint targets then joined tradecraft.  
View Quote

I am a member at JTAC and was wondering if you can paint the steel on the 2000 yard range. I noticed they don't supply a golf cart so was afraid it would be a no. It's a shame that they don't let you at least paint the steel. Theynshould change that and be open on Sunday. I am able to paint and and shoot the steel at Manatee Gun Club so at least that's something (300 & 600 ish).
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#39]
you can not go down range under any  circumstances.  the targets usually have 100 hits already on them.  They are lucky if they are painted once a week.  If you are satisfied with just hitting a gong then its ok I guess but if you want to shoot a group or true your numbers its a no go.  Seems like the guys running the place think they are just killing it if they can even hit a plate at distance. Wish it would change.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Any updates on the Tradecraft status or issues?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Greetings Tradecraft members, friends and supporters. I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to you all to give you the best understanding of what is happening at Tradecraft Range.

As many of you know, the property the range resides on was sold. As such there is massive restructure and reorganization of the facility along with the businesses that occupy the property, Tradecraft range included.

I'm sorry to say, for the unforseeable Tradecraft Range will be closed as we sort through this process.

I assure you that I am doing all that I can to get us back open for shooters as soon as possible. We are also working to stop billing from occurring during this period so please be patient as we are handling each account individually.

We will hopefully be delivering some opportunities to shoot on the ranges in the near future.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:05:31 PM EDT
[#42]
View this email in your browser

Logo
Tradecraft’s Future
Greetings Tradecraft members, friends and supporters. I wanted to take the opportunity to reach out to you all to give you the best understanding of what is happening at Tradecraft Range.

As many of you know, the property the range resides on was sold. As such there is massive restructure and reorganization of the facility along with the businesses that occupy the property, Tradecraft range included.

I’m sorry to say, for the unforseeable Tradecraft Range will be closed as we sort through this process.

I assure you that I am doing all that I can to get us back open for shooters as soon as possible. We are also working to stop billing from occurring during this period so please be patient as we are handling each account individually.

We will hopefully be delivering some opportunities to shoot on the ranges in the near future.

I would like to provide you with an alternate email to reach me at should you need to.

I’m sorry for this unfortunate situation and hope that we can open again soon. Until then, please be safe and I look forward to seeing you soon

Anthony DiSarro

[email protected]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top