Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2021 4:31:18 PM EDT
And after 585 of us got the rug pulled out from us at Remington I GTFO of NY!

I've only been back for my dad's birthday and drove a truck rental up and cleaned out my storage locker!

I'll miss you guys, but I wont miss NY!
Link Posted: 11/15/2021 10:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations living in free America is such a breath of fresh air!
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Told ya so!
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I’m jealous. But glad you made it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:50:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m jealous too, but wife doesn't want leave , for now. Hates hot weather! Best to you.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hates hot weather! Best to you.
View Quote
Me too! I can bundle up in many layers to stay warm but there are only so many clothes I can take off to stay cool Florida and Georgia are unbearable to me from late spring to early fall.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:21:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Florida and Georgia are unbearable to me from late spring to early fall.
View Quote

It's not that bad in the north end, we only had 5 days over 90 in my area this year.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Northern Arizona is great actually. The low humidity makes our mid 90’s summers very tolerable, and limited winter ( usually one snowstorm and perhaps just a couple weeks of snow on the ground)
There are other similar climates in Utah and other places I am sure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I need to start doing more research about eastern TN.  Loved the 2 weeks we vacationed there in 2018.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 8:26:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I need to start doing more research about eastern TN.  Loved the 2 weeks we vacationed there in 2018.
View Quote

Tullahoma might just be the place for you!
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:08:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's not that bad in the north end, we only had 5 days over 90 in my area this year.
View Quote

This - Its not Hotter than what I remember in NY summers (when Upstate actually had summers)  Its just longer.

I can't stand the cold - try replacing your brakes in January and see how much fun it is.

I can work outside all year long and the big difference is the amount of Sunshine - Far more of it.  Fall lasts til December here and I can remember October B-days in NY when it snowed and Mothers Day when it snowed.  

In the heat, I can go out in the mornings, get a lot done, work again in the evenings - not bad at all.

People saying its too hot are just rationalizing their fear of leaving NY.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:56:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This - Its not Hotter than what I remember in NY summers (when Upstate actually had summers)  Its just longer.

I can't stand the cold - try replacing your brakes in January and see how much fun it is.

I can work outside all year long and the big difference is the amount of Sunshine - Far more of it.  Fall lasts til December here and I can remember October B-days in NY when it snowed and Mothers Day when it snowed.  

In the heat, I can go out in the mornings, get a lot done, work again in the evenings - not bad at all.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that last part is somewhat true...
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At about 47 I got to build my own garage.   Before that it was the cardboard lift in a gravel driveway.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hates hot weather!
View Quote

I hate liberals much much worse than hot weather. After 7 years in SC I’m used to hot weather in summer, not any different than central NY in august.  Still gets cold here in winter (I live in mountain region). Life is awesome in the South. I don’t miss anything about NY.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Good for you, I live in Long Island, moved here from NJ about 5 years ago and am ready to head out to TX or FL,,,  NY has become a true shit hole... have to let it sink all the way to the bottom so we can rebuild it... until them,,, my target date to move out is end of summer 2022

Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good for you, I live in Long Island, moved here from NJ about 5 years ago and am ready to head out to TX or FL,,,  NY has become a true shit hole... have to let it sink all the way to the bottom so we can rebuild it... until them,,, my target date to move out is end of summer 2022

View Quote
Just got notice that as of January 1, 2022, New York will be raising the Petroleum Distributors tax 5% (https://www.newsday.com/news/region-state/petroleum-business-tax-new-york-ghosio-inflation-1.50448349). As such, petroleum products are expected to rise 5% in January

I really hate this @#)*$@ state. Never seen a tax or fee they did not like in order to pay the FSA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 3:12:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I went back to NY last week. I refreshed my reasons for leaving 7 years ago. The Citiots who ruined NYC are buying and building upstate and bringing the same attitude that destroyed the city. Some areas look great and have improved. AKA Windham has an infusion of money with hotels expanding and million dollar condos being built. Saugerties is nothing but businesses that have FJB flags. Oh, and the gun ranges are neutered.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've only been back for my dad's birthday and drove a truck rental up and cleaned out my storage locker!

View Quote

I only go back to see my family once a year or so.  Although I do admit I miss the fall weather, Empire apples, Wegmans, and even snow.  But I don't miss the lack of freedom.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I only go back to see my family once a year or so.  Although I do admit I miss the fall weather, Empire apples, Wegmans, and even snow.  But I don't miss the lack of freedom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In order:

1.) Fall weather was good for hunting and nothing else! Endless summer is the way to go!

2.) They sell Empire apples at Aldi!

3.) I really didn't like Wegmans (preferred Tops because the people there were more my low class type lol)

4.) See number 1 when it comes to snow!

All in jest my friend... But seriously... I hate everything up there. I've been on a crusade to get all my close family and Friends down to FL or GA. Of my massive family of 11 only 2
3 remain. Not bad for a year and half of work right?
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Most people will have a fear of change - Moving your home is a big deal but in truth is a bigger deal in ones head than it really is.

People stay in NY for the same reason Jews stayed in concentration camps and didn't resist as one large entity - fear of what-if.  People will cling to a known situation even if it is terrible because they don't know if something might be worse and rationalize not to do anything even for the slightest consequence.

I've heard many want to leave BUT--- -Gotta stay and help parents, cost too much to move, don't want the heat of the summer and so on.  The real reason is fear of change most of the time.  Your comfortable yet uncomfortable at the same time.  Truth is your parents should  move for the same reasons you should, it doesn't cost that much to move, you will make it up in taxes and better cost of living expenses, the heat isn't different, just the seasons of warmth are longer.  Fall starts in October and lasts til December - Spring starts on spring day!  In Upstate NY I never understood why spring always arrived when there was 2 feet of snow on the ground!  Now I know why - It isn't like that outside of the great lakes!

You can move - Yes it will be an expense (but so is staying in NY)  Even the far lefties are leaving in record numbers Why?  Because they can.  Even they can't stand the sh*tpile they created.  Don't stay - The left leadership is counting on your fear of change to pay for their oppression.

By staying your taxes are fueling the left's power - you are literally building the rope they will hang you with.

I've known so many friends and family who left upstate NY - No regrets from anyone - even those that lost money initially in the process.

Link Posted: 1/1/2022 5:54:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Most people will have a fear of change - Moving your home is a big deal but in truth is a bigger deal in ones head than it really is.

People stay in NY for the same reason Jews stayed in concentration camps and didn't resist as one large entity - fear of what-if.  People will cling to a known situation even if it is terrible because they don't know if something might be worse and rationalize not to do anything even for the slightest consequence.

I've heard many want to leave BUT--- -Gotta stay and help parents,
View Quote
At the moment, this is my excuse. I turn 60 this year, never married and no kids (always makes me chuckle that one needs to say that these days). I have two younger sisters who are both married and have five kids in total. One sister is about 20 miles from me and the other is an ex-pat. Basically I am the one who keeps our 84 year old mother from losing the house or having it fall into total disrepair. And it is difficult as she is a hoarder and it is a never ending battle to keep her mess from totally exploding (I actually got injured a month ago when I was cleaning up things she was neglecting and though my own stupidity, tripped over things she left lying around and smashed my left knee pretty hard as I hit the floor - could not kneel on it until recently as it was badly bruised).

Now, because I am single, it is my sister and, if things get totally out of whack, my mother who I have to rely on if I have a serious medical issue (my sister has a bounding POA for me). Several years ago, there was a strong possibility my sister and her family might wind up having to move to Charlotte, NC. It was serious enough that I made some preliminary checks on moving as well. Even asking two charitable groups I work with to create some kind of succession plan to replace me if I left.  But those plans fell through and I am still here. The major incentive I have to get out is my 401K's from different employers are quite large and I'll be damned if I am giving New York any of it. I have plenty of years before I am required to take any out but that is my incentive to leave New York.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Aardvark relocate take mom with you and leave the hoarder house behind for sale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I've heard many want to leave BUT--- -Gotta stay and help parents, cost too much to move, don't want the heat of the summer and so on.  The real reason is fear of change most of the time.  Your comfortable yet uncomfortable at the same time.  Truth is your parents should  move for the same reasons you should, it doesn't cost that much to move, you will make it up in taxes and better cost of living expenses, the heat isn't different, just the seasons of warmth are longer.  Fall starts in October and lasts til December - Spring starts on spring day!  In Upstate NY I never understood why spring always arrived when there was 2 feet of snow on the ground!  Now I know why - It isn't like that outside of the great lakes!

You can move - Yes it will be an expense (but so is staying in NY)  Even the far lefties are leaving in record numbers Why?  Because they can.  Even they can't stand the sh*tpile they created.  Don't stay - The left leadership is counting on your fear of change to pay for their oppression.

By staying your taxes are fueling the left's power - you are literally building the rope they will hang you with.

I've known so many friends and family who left upstate NY - No regrets from anyone - even those that lost money initially in the process.

View Quote

This is the truth. I was fortunate to have an unfortunate event wake my ass up. I have no regrets. I lived next to my 94 YO grandmother at the time. I still had family nearby her when I left and one of my friends always checked up on her. She has since passed on (in her own home like the way she wanted).

I do miss the mountains. However, there are mountains much closer then a 12 hour drive.
The only complaint here are Squatted Trucks, Mopeds and MOTHER !@#$ing FIRE ANTS! Mopeds have decreased since all the drunks have to register them. Squat laws are coming soon like NC. I will just have to live with the MOTHER !@#$ FIRE ANTS.

Oh, and hurry up. It's getting crowded here. We might not have room for you soon.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I am one of those who still has NY tier 4 retirement.  18 years left and then I am selling and moving to TN area.  Providing the system and/or dollar still exists by then.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:21:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am one of those who still has NY tier 4 retirement.  18 years left and then I am selling and moving to TN area.  Providing the system and/or dollar still exists by then.
View Quote

Don't forget to bring an old toilet for your new property line.
@HappyLife_NoWife
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#27]
My only regret from moving out of NY is that I waited so long to do it.  

Drop the fear of change and find greener pastures.  

Pro tip, don’t go back to visit.  Have the family visit you in the winter.  They will be happy to escape the cold.  

Also, who’s wife doesn’t like warm weather.  Lol.
There are also better places to live than NY that have cold weather too.  
Alaska, Wyoming, Kentucky.  Heck I would even take Ohio over NY.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@HappyLife_NoWife
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@HappyLife_NoWife

Eh, I prefer to use an old broken freezer or maybe a microwave
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top