Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2018 2:15:49 PM EDT
I am selling a handgun via Gunbroker, to a MD resident but am kinda leery. he prefers I ship it myself to his ffl. I'm
assuming , maybe in error he's trying to do something as a private party xfer as opposed to a straight out purchase??

Anything I need to know about selling a handgun to a MD resident?   my thanks
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 5:48:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am selling a handgun via Gunbroker, to a MD resident but am kinda leery.
View Quote
As you should be, MD law is nonsensical.
he prefers I ship it myself to his ffl. I'm assuming, maybe in error he's trying to do something as a private party xfer as opposed to a straight out purchase??
View Quote
I'd say he is only trying to save himself (or you) the cost of involving a second FFL when only one is needed.

As a private citizen, you may ship a firearm (even a handgun) directly to the manufacturer or to an FFL. Because you have to ship it overnight with tracking, it is sometimes cheaper to send it through your FFL, who suffers no such shipping requirement. Contrary to some people's belief, it is not necessary that you use an FFL to ship.
Anything I need to know about selling a handgun to a MD resident?   my thanks
View Quote
Yes, just ship it to his receiving FFL for transfer. His local FFL will abide by all applicable laws and once he receives it, you are out of the loop. The FFL will ensure that the buyer is legally allowed to have a firearm, and in the case of a handgun or other regulated firearm, his "HQL".

Because you are shipping directly to a licensed firearms dealer who will handle the buyer's end of the transfer, you have no responsibility to know MD law.

Do NOT ever, under any circumstances, ship a firearm directly to the buyer across state lines.

One final "Beware": Maryland has an approved handgun roster. If the handgun in question is not on the roster, the transfer may be denied or delayed while an application is processed to place it on the roster. Get paid in full up front and this is not an issue for you, again, the FFL will ensure all MD laws are followed, but don't let yourself get hung up waiting for the buyer to iron it out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 11:37:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:I'd say he is only trying to save himself (or you) the cost of involving a second FFL when only one is needed.
View Quote
Except a non-licensee can not legally ship a handgun USPS, and both FedEx and UPS require them to go overnight express, which is expensive.  Often it is cheaper to pay your local FFL his transfer fee and so he can ship in a USPS flat-rate or regional-rate box to the buyer's transfer dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top