Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2023 9:05:38 PM EDT

Update: Bill passed senate in the early morning hours of Saturday and has been transmitted to Lamont for his signature.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:28:47 AM EDT
[#1]
to no one's surprise.... bill passed
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:35:10 AM EDT
[#2]
No SHIT.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 7:37:44 AM EDT
[#3]
As previously indicated, bill passed the senate and has been transmitted to Lamont for his signature.

Expect run on guns before Lamont signs it into law either today or some time in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like you can't buy machine guns anymore? They are all prebans
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Shocker.  Get ready for a new round of lawsuits, court delay tactics, etc.  Another day in CT.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:56:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you can't buy machine guns anymore? They are all prebans
View Quote

How so? Prebans are defined as semiautomatic firearms under the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013. Right from the bill, the language that classifies prebans as assault weapons:

(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994; or
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh wow! I am so shocked this passed.

Don't worry the lawsuits will get filed and the district courts will allow the "laws" and the Supreme Court will not take the case. Biden will get reinstalled next year and then he will either pack the court or replace a couple justices who died. Then the case will get heard and it will uphold the bans.

If anyone thinks we are living in the land of the free and the home of the brave is kidding themselves. We died as a country in the 90s and Obama/Biden finished us off.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing will stop it. Not  In This State. Marching orders come From The DNC And D.C. Duff actually hinted at what is The End Game.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How so? Prebans are defined as semiautomatic firearms under the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013. Right from the bill, the language that classifies prebans as assault weapons:

(H) Any semiautomatic firearm that meets the criteria set forth in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, that was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994; or
View Quote

I forgot about the semi part.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I forgot about the semi part.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
1993: "It's a good first step."

2013: "It's a good first step."

2023: "It's a good first step."

2033: "It's time to turn them all in."
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah pretty much the timeline CT is on. Add to each one of those, "we're addressing crime and violence". And yet each time the bill they pass has little to do with addressing root causes of crime and violence.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

You hit the ball out of the park with that one
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Ordered some 10 round magpul mags this week from Midway usa. for me and my son.
2013 I registered my Post ban guns and my prebans ( Not knowing prebans didn't have to be registered then).
Have one preban I bought after 2013 that I will have to regisister

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 8:51:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Don't worry the lawsuits will get filed and the district courts will allow the "laws" and the Supreme Court will not take the case. Biden will get reinstalled next year and then he will either pack the court or replace a couple justices who died. Then the case will get heard and it will uphold the bans.

If anyone thinks we are living in the land of the free and the home of the brave is kidding themselves. We died as a country in the 90s and Obama/Biden finished us off.
View Quote

there have been injunctions at some lower courts around the country, including district and circuit.  Other courts have stayed the injunctions.  If the Supreme Court remains as is they will eventually take all these cases rule in our favor.  How long that will take, who knows, and in the meantime the court makeup can change too.  The best option remains to get the hell out of this state, if you are able to.  Many of us are not able to get out, yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#17]
6 years minimum for me to get out of here but eventually these laws will be everywhere. These communists have taken control of the country. They will repeal the 2nd Amendment and when that happens they will send troops door to door to search your home and confiscate firearms, ammo and reloading materials.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#18]
A few questions...

I am SC now but still have a place in CT.

1.  Will prebans no longer be transferable when this garbage is signed? (Same as currently registered postbans)

2. Is there restriction on sale of 10 rd mags in private sale.  (Sounds insane as I write this but we're talking about CT)

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
6 years minimum for me to get out of here but eventually these laws will be everywhere. These communists have taken control of the country. They will repeal the 2nd Amendment and when that happens they will send troops door to door to search your home and confiscate firearms, ammo and reloading materials.
View Quote

Newsflash: there is no need to repeal when they can simply say "fuck you and your 'right of the people.'"

Just like what CT, CA, NY, NJ, MD, DE, WA, MA, RI, and IL are doing already.

I find it ironic that when SCOTUS ruled that marriage licenses must be granted to gays, every single state in the union instantly complied, but after Heller, McDonald, and Bruen, blue states flipped the bird at their citizens, the court, and the rest of the country and said, "Fuck you, make me."

My roots go so deep here in NE CT, but with each passing year I look harder and harder at getting out.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1.  Will prebans no longer be transferable when this garbage is signed? (Same as currently registered postbans)

2. Is there restriction on sale of 10 rd mags in private sale.  (Sounds insane as I write this but we're talking about CT)
View Quote

Yes to question 1. They are, with HB 6667, repealing the preban statute and mandating everyone with a preban (that violates the law as it was on Jan 1, 2013) register them as an assault weapon with all the limitations on possession, transport, and ban on general sales/transfers that come with it.

Depends on what you mean restrictions for question 2. The state, since 2013, in addition to banning standard capacity magazines (over 10 rounds) has mandated one have (unless exempted) one of the state issued permits or certificates to buy guns, ammunition and ammunition magazines. Applies to both public and private sales.

Sec. 29-38m. Sale of ammunition or ammunition magazine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Got it.  I was planning to get rid of prebans and 10 round mags to those who can use them in CT.  Doesn't appear there will be time to do lowers as I won't be there until after it's signed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Got it.  I was planning to get rid of prebans and 10 round mags to those who can use them in CT.  Doesn't appear there will be time to do lowers as I won't be there until after it's signed.
View Quote

There is "constructive possession" language written into the bill such that any lawful sale or transaction made before the bill was signed into law is considered lawful possession even if the CT FFL hasn't transferred the firearm to the buyer yet (for what ever reason).
(B) With respect to a 2023 assault weapon, (i) actual possession that is lawful under sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, (ii) constructive possession pursuant to a lawful purchase transacted prior to the effective date of this section, regardless of whether such assault weapon was delivered to the purchaser prior to the effective date of this section, which lawful purchase is evidenced by a writing sufficient to indicate that (I) a contract for sale was made between the parties prior to the effective date of this section, for the purchase of such assault weapon, or (II) full or partial payment for such assault weapon was made by the purchaser to the seller of such assault weapon prior to the effective date of this section, or (iii) actual possession under subparagraph (B)(i) of this subdivision, or constructive possession under subparagraph (B)(ii) of this subdivision, as evidenced by a written statement made under penalty of false statement on such form as the Commissioner of Emergency Services and Public Protection prescribes;
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Ahhh  I guess I should list a lower ... the question is will ct ffls want to risk (bother)  doing a transfer after the fact even though the law says its gtg
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:24:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
the question is will ct ffls want to risk (bother)  doing a transfer after the fact even though the law says its gtg
View Quote

Some will, some won't. If is sending the item to a specific FFL best to call ahead of time to see what they'll do.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#25]
It's in CT so will be a ftf transfer when I get up there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's in CT so will be a ftf transfer when I get up there.
View Quote

Are you a CT resident? If not you cannot legally do a face to face transfer. The transfer must go through a FFL if you bring the guns or lowers from out of state into CT. Its fed law it goes through a FFL when done across state lines. ATF has a FAQ entry on it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Not worth the hassle
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:20:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Lamont may sign the bill in private today then have a splashy media presser later this month.

Gun rights group to challenge new firearms restrictions in Connecticut

Acting just days after Connecticut legislators approved new firearms regulations, gun rights supporters say they plan to challenge the statute as soon as Gov. Ned Lamont signs the bill into law.

We The Patriots, which according to its website advocates for religious freedom, “medical freedom” and constitutional rights, said they would file a federal lawsuit challenging House Bill 6667, an Act Addressing Gun Violence. Lamont was expected to sign the new legislation Monday.

“Our organization exists to defend individual liberties and constitutional rights, and a lot of our followers and supporters are very big Second Amendment rights supporters,” said Brian Festa, vice president and co-founder of We The Patriots USA. “So we want to make sure that we protect their interests and the public's interests, and we feel very strongly that this case will be heard at the United States Supreme Court.”

The bill bans the open carrying of firearms in public, places limits on handgun sales, increases penalties for repeat offenders, updates the state’s existing ban on ghost guns and closes loopholes in the state’s existing ban on assault weapons, among other provisions.

“The lawsuit is challenging the restriction on the open carry of firearms, as well as the limits on purchases,” Festa said. “We feel it's an unconstitutional restriction, a violation of the residents of Connecticut’s Second Amendment rights.”

Gov. Ned Lamont said in a release that the law modernizes Connecticut’s gun control laws “in a smart and strategic way to help prevent tragedy from happening.”

“These updates are supported by the overwhelming majority of Connecticut residents because they want to live in a community that has commonsense measures that encourage gun safety and prevent harm from impacting our neighborhoods and homes,” Lamont said.

A spokesperson for Lamont's office declined to comment on the lawsuit. The governor was expected to sign the bill privately Monday and hold a ceremonial bill signing later this month.

We The Patriots said it would be the lead plaintiff in the federal lawsuit opposing the bill, which would be filed as soon as Lamont signs it. There are also individual plaintiffs, Matthew Sherman and Brandon Tischer, who Festa said were also signed on to the complaint. The plaintiffs "choose to arm themselves against what they reasonably believe to be the threat of violence in public places in the state of Connecticut," the lawsuit says.

According to the complaint, "The unintended consequence of this law will be to prohibit those in lawful possession of a gun permit to carry their weapon openly for the purpose of self-defense while leaving unaddressed the fact that many individuals unlawfully possess, carry, and then use guns to commit crimes."

“The individual plaintiffs are firearms owners and permit holders in the state of Connecticut as well. who do want to have the option to open-carry, what we'd like to call ‘constitutional carry’ because we believe that the right to keep and bear arms should not be restricted or infringed upon by Congress,” he said.

We The Patriots' lead attorney is Norm Pattis, who has among other clients represented Alex Jones in his failed $1.4 billion defamation suit filed by Sandy Hook parents.

Pattis appealed after his law license was suspended for sharing confidential medical records of Sandy Hook families. A state appeals court ordered a stay on the judge's order "until final resolution" of the legal fight over his suspension.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#29]
When wood this take effect
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When wood this take effect
View Quote

Portions take effect immediately when Lamont signs the bill. Other portions take effect on Oct 1, Jan 1, 2024 and May 1, 2024. See the bill's last pages (around page 92 to 93 or so) for a table listing when each of the bill's sections go into effect. The ban on "others" and prebans takes effect immediately with the registration cutoff on May 1, 2024.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Governor Lamont Signs Legislation Strengthening Gun Violence Prevention Laws

Portions of the Bill Became Effective Immediately Upon Receiving the Governor’s Signature Today
(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that he has signed into law legislation that received bipartisan support in the General Assembly strengthening Connecticut’s gun violence prevention laws. The comprehensive bill includes provisions to prevent community gun violence, stop mass shootings, avoid firearm-related accidents, add protections for domestic violence victims, and avert suicides.

The legislation, House Bill 6667, was proposed by Governor Lamont at the start of this year’s legislative session and developed in consultation with bipartisan state lawmakers. Input came from diverse stakeholders, including mayors, police chiefs, prosecutors, victim advocates, gun safety advocates, families who have lost loved ones to gun violence, and many others.

While the bill’s sections have various effective dates, portions closing loopholes in the assault weapons ban regarding so-called “other” firearms and “pre-ban” firearms became effective immediately upon receiving the governor’s signature today.

(For a detailed analysis of the bill, including its effective dates, click here.)

“This bill that I just signed takes smart and strategic steps to strengthen the laws in Connecticut to prevent tragedy from happening,” Governor Lamont said. “As more and more shootings have occurred over the last decade – including mass shootings – federal and state laws have not kept up with the innovative ways firearm companies are manufacturing guns, especially those that are being designed with the sole intention of killing the largest number of people possible in the shortest amount of time. Our country still needs strong federal laws on firearm safety and gun violence prevention with the breadth to impact every state. The inaction of Congress on critical legislation to keep Americans safe requires each state to act individually. Over the years, Connecticut has shown time and again that we can improve public safety by implementing reasonable gun violence prevention laws while also respecting the rights of Americans to own guns for their own protection and sportsmanship. This bill that I’ve signed continues that fair, commonsense balance. I appreciate the bipartisan group of legislators who thoughtfully considered this bill and voted in favor of sending it to my desk, and I especially thank the leadership of the General Assembly and the co-chairs of the Judiciary Committee, Senator Gary Winfield and Representative Steve Stafstrom, for their thoughtful and tireless work on the bill.”

Some of the bill’s major provisions include:

Open carry: Bans the open carrying of firearms in public, while continuing to allow concealed carry with a permit.
High-risk repeat offenders: Increases bail, probation and parole responses for the extremely narrow group of people with repeated serious firearm offenses.
Ghost guns: Updates the state’s 2019 ban on unregistered “ghost guns” to include those that were assembled prior to the enactment of that ban. Those ghost guns must be registered with the state by January 1, 2024.
Bulk purchase of guns: Prevents the bulk purchasing of handguns to discourage straw purchases by barring the sale of more than three handguns to an individual in a 30-day period, or six handguns for an instructor. Law enforcement agencies, returns/exchanges, and transfers to a museum are exempted.
Gun dealer accountability: Increases gun dealer accountability by permitting the Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection to issue a notice of violation and impose an order barring sales for any dealers violating any of their responsibilities.
Safe storage: Expands the state’s safe storage laws to all situations, not only those where a minor or prohibited person may gain access to a firearm.
Assault weapons ban: Closes loopholes in the state’s ban on assault weapons by including “other” firearms with banned features analogous to those on banned pistols and rifles and pre-September 13, 1994, “pre-ban” firearms that were carved out of the original ban. A new registration will open for these 2023 assault weapons. If purchased before the date of passage, these weapons can be registered until May 1, 2024. If registered, owners can continue possessing them but further transfers are generally barred.
Large-capacity magazine ban: Ensures enforceability of the state’s ban on large-capacity magazines by making possession a class D felony for prohibited persons and a class A misdemeanor for non-prohibited persons.
Underage purchases of guns: Expands the state’s existing prohibition on the retail sale of semiautomatic rifles with capacity greater than five rounds to anyone under the age of 21 to also include private sales.
Pistol permit training: Updates the training requirements for pistol permits and eligibility certificates to require instruction on safe storage, state firearms laws, and lawful use of firearms.
Domestic violence: Makes commission of a family violence crime or federal misdemeanor crime of domestic violence into an automatic disqualifier for having a pistol permit, and adds commission of such a crime after October 1, 2023, as a qualifier for criminal possession of a firearm.
Trigger locks: Requires all firearms, not just handguns, to be sold with a trigger lock.
Transport: Clarifies that all long guns, including ones categorized as “other,” must be carried unloaded in a vehicle.
Body armor: Requires anyone purchasing body armor to possess a pistol permit or eligibility certificate. This includes exemptions for certain law enforcement officers, state and judicial officials, and military personnel.
Permitting timelines: Creates a timeline for local authorities to act on the first stage of the pistol permitting process.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#32]
back to the form 1 SBR notification to SLFU,

whats the deal here. I have one pending amnesty, one non amnesty pending (standard F1 on a lower bought after 1-31-23 deadline), and one already approved amnesty F1.

what do I need to do. send them copies of submitted F1 and the copy of approved F1 amnesty?

technically the non amnesty F1 I have pending, I dont need to do anything about because it technically isnt on a "amnesty" F1?

weigh in here man and straighten me out the best you can, this part is very confusing to me.

@sbhaven
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
back to the form 1 SBR notification to SLFU,

whats the deal here. I have one pending amnesty, one non amnesty pending (standard F1 on a lower bought after 1-31-23 deadline), and one already approved amnesty F1.

what do I need to do. send them copies of submitted F1 and the copy of approved F1 amnesty?

technically the non amnesty F1 I have pending, I dont need to do anything about because it technically isnt on a "amnesty" F1?

weigh in here man and straighten me out the best you can, this part is very confusing to me.

@sbhaven
View Quote
There was no amnesty. It is a conditional tax forbearance. Very different legal definitions.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:37:11 AM EDT
[#35]
@Gordo556
For those with ATF pistol brace affected "others" that are being SBR'd (form 1), see the OLR bill review document PDF, page 24, the section called Federal Reclassification:

https://cga.ct.gov/2023/BA/PDF/2023HB-06667-R010841-BA.PDF#page=24

It's still confusing but that OLR section tries to explain what persons with those specific firearms that are now 2023 assault weapons are supposed to do.

Really though most, who are choosing to register their AW's, should simply wait to see what guidance SLFU puts out on 2023 assault weapons to see how to proceed. There is no need to rush to register a firearm now deemed a 2023 assault weapon. The cutoff for registration isn't until May 1, 2024.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 6:58:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@Gordo556
For those with ATF pistol brace affected "others" that are being SBR'd (form 1), see the OLR bill review document PDF, page 24, the section called Federal Reclassification:

It's still confusing but that OLR section tries to explain what persons with those specific firearms that are now 2023 assault weapons are supposed to do.

Really though most, who are choosing to register their AW's, should simply wait to see what guidance SLFU puts out on 2023 assault weapons to see how to proceed. There is no need to rush to register a firearm now deemed a 2023 assault weapon. The cutoff for registration isn't until May 1, 2024.
View Quote

August ‘23 for these styles but I get what you’re saying with that regard.

Thanks for replying, seems like no matter what someone would need to upload pending or approved “tax forbearance”…amnesty f1’s and standard paid F1’s for the sole purpose of brace rules.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There was no amnesty. It is a conditional tax forbearance. Very different legal definitions.
View Quote

True if we lived in a country of law.........we do not !  Words mean what those in power say they mean !
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#38]
FPC Statement on Connecticut Governor Signing HB 6667

HARTFORD, CT (June 6, 2023) — Firearms Policy Coalition issued the following statement regarding Connecticut Governor Ned Lamont’s signing of House Bill 6667, a measure that seeks to abrogate the fundamental rights of peaceable People to acquire, possess and bear protected arms:

In a twist of bitter irony, HB 6667 attacks the core fundamental and Constitutional rights of the peaceable People of Connecticut and those who visit the “Constitution State.” The measure seeks to create criminal liability for the mere exercise of a fundamental right, doubling down on a slate of immoral and dangerous laws running the gamut from keeping, bearing, acquiring, building and possessing protected arms.

Governor Lamont and his legislative co-conspirators need to be reminded that the fundamental right to keep and bear arms falls outside the purview of their offices. They are simply not in a position to so casually dispose of those rights that are naturally intrinsic to the People.

Governor Lamont’s embrace of state violence to disarm and disadvantage peaceable People–throwing them in government cages, and ruining their lives at best–reveals the naked depravity and conceit of the state in its efforts to promote its immoral policy preferences.

To the peaceable People of Connecticut–you are not alone. We see you. The nation sees you. All peaceable People across our nation seeking to be free from the violence of the state in its efforts to disarm and victimize you are engaged together in this fight for freedom.

And to all of those who supported and passed this immoral legislation, we say simply this: “frack you. No.”

Individuals who would like to Join the FPC Grassroots Army and support important pro-rights lawsuits and programs can sign up at JoinFPC.org. Individuals and organizations wanting to support charitable efforts in support of the restoration of Second Amendment and other natural rights can also make a tax-deductible donation to the FPC Action Foundation. For more on FPC’s lawsuits and other pro-Second Amendment initiatives, visit FPCLegal.org and follow FPC on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube.

About FPC

Firearms Policy Coalition (firearmspolicy.org), a 501(c)4 nonprofit organization, exists to create a world of maximal human liberty, defend constitutional rights, advance individual liberty, and restore freedom. FPC’s efforts are focused on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and adjacent issues including freedom of speech, due process, unlawful searches and seizures, separation of powers, asset forfeitures, privacy, encryption, and limited government. The FPC team are next-generation advocates working to achieve the Organization’s strategic objectives through litigation, research, scholarly publications, amicus briefing, legislative and regulatory action, grassroots activism, education, outreach, and other programs.

FPC Law (FPCLaw.org) is the nation’s largest public interest legal team focused on the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, and the leader in the Second Amendment litigation and research space.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Some commentary before Lamont signed the bill.

CT Assault Weapons Ban Heading To The Governor, Supreme Court Precedent Be Damned
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks for replying, seems like no matter what someone would need to upload pending or approved “tax forbearance”…amnesty f1’s and standard paid F1’s for the sole purpose of brace rules.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@Gordo556

Please clarify, August 2023 is a deadline for what?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Please clarify, August 2023 is a deadline for what?  Thanks.
View Quote

To submit a copy of your submitted/pending or approved F1 on your “others”.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the clarification.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:48:55 PM EDT
[#43]
SLFU has a brief update on HB 6667 up on their website. Take it for what it is:

https://portal.ct.gov/DESPP/Division-of-State-Police/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms/Special-Licensing-and-Firearms

This afternoon, June 6th, House Bill 6667 was signed into Connecticut law. While more information will be forthcoming on other sections of the act, please pay special attention to the provisions regarding the sale of assault weapons, which are effective immediately. Sales of so-called “other” and “pre-ban” weapons, unless pursuant to an exception, are now prohibited. Follow the link to File No 841 with the final text and summary of each section. File No. 841
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:05:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:....
We The Patriots, which according to its website advocates for religious freedom, “medical freedom” and constitutional rights, said they would file a federal lawsuit challenging House Bill 6667, an Act Addressing Gun Violence. Lamont was expected to sign the new legislation Monday....
“The lawsuit is challenging the restriction on the open carry of firearms, as well as the limits on purchases,” Festa said. “We feel it's an unconstitutional restriction, a violation of the residents of Connecticut’s Second Amendment rights.”...
View Quote

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2023/06/07/connecticuts-latest-gun-control-laws-hit-with-federal-lawsuit-n71219
"focusing on the open carry ban and a gun rationing scheme that limits gun owners from purchasing more than three firearms in a 30-day period."

Lawsuit filed PDF
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:11:35 PM EDT
[#45]
What does "at least" mean in the updated 2023 AWB.  Can a firearm have one feature and not be an AW or any feature makes it an AW??  See text listed below from lines 1421 to 1440 in final bill.
Thanks in advance!

(G) Any semiautomatic firearm other than a pistol, revolver, rifle or 1421 shotgun, regardless of whether such firearm is listed in subparagraphs 1422 (A) to (D), inclusive, of this subdivision, and regardless of the date such 1423 firearm was produced, that has at least one of the following: 1424 (i) Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock 1425 or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip 1426 the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to 1427 the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the 1428 weapon when firing; 1429 (ii) An ability to accept a detachable ammunition magazine that 1430 attaches at some location outside of the pistol grip; 1431 (iii) A fixed magazine with the ability to accept more than ten rounds; 1432 (iv) A flash suppressor or silencer, or a threaded barrel capable of 1433 accepting a flash suppressor or silencer; 1434 (v) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, 1435 the barrel and that permits the shooter to fire the firearm without being 1436 burned, except a slide that encloses the barrel; 1437 (vi) A second hand grip; or 1438 (vii) An arm brace or other stabilizing brace that could allow such 1439 firearm to be fired from the shoulder, with or without a strap designed

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Any feature makes it an evil assault weapon.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What does "at least" mean in the updated 2023 AWB.  Can a firearm have one feature and not be an AW or any feature makes it an AW??  
View Quote

Its the same language used in the 2013 expansion of the CT AWB that applied single feature bans to post 9/13/94 manufactured semiautomatic detachable magazine rifles and pistols.

It simply means if you have any of the listed features, the firearm is an assault weapon. Have a pistol grip? Banned. Have a flash hider? Banned. Have a folding or collapsing stock? Banned. Have a threaded barrel on the pistol? Banned. Wash rinse repeat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 6:19:20 AM EDT
[#48]
There has been some modifications proposed to HB 6667. Apparently there was an amendment passed for the bill: H.B. No. 6895 AN ACT CONCERNING A STUDY OF THE CRIMINAL LAWS OF THIS STATE. The amended bill would need to be signed by Lamont or for him to refuse to sign it for it to be enacted.

The amendment:
House Schedule A LCO# 10173 (J) (pdf)
House Schedule A LCO# 10173 (J) (doc)

Opens up large capacity magazine declaration:
The amendment appears to open up (for a three month period) magazine registration for those who "lawfully possessed" a standard capacity magazine prior to Jan 1, 2014 but didn't register them by July 1, 2023. They would have from Oct 1, 2023 to Jan 1, 2024 to declare them to the state. Not a freedom week but would allow some to declare their pre 2014 magazines who previously didn't. For the newbies note that some magazines are date stamped so keep that in mind if you try to jump on this band wagon.

Modifies open carry language to add 3 new exempted persons:
Makes changes to the open carry ban to allow the following groups to open carry:
• Security guard or other person employed to perform the duties of protecting public or private property while in the performance of such duties or traveling to or from such duties
• Person carrying a firearm as a necessary part of participation in an honor guard or an historic reenactment
• Bail enforcement agent

Makes additional modifications to open carry ban language:
The following open carry ban changes are made for non exempted persons, highlighted in bold/italics:

"No person shall knowingly carry any firearm with intent to display such firearm, except when such person is within such person's dwelling house, on land leased, owned or otherwise possessed by such person or within the place of business of such person, or such person is engaged in firearm training or bona fide hunting activity, or such person has been explicitly permitted by another person to carry such firearm with intent to display such firearm while within such other person's dwelling house, on land leased, owned or otherwise possessed by such other person, or within the place of business of such other person."
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#49]
HB 6667 is now officially Public Act No. 23-53

Public Act No. 23-53 PDF

Public Act No. 23-53 DOC
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:21:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Stupid question, looking for confirmation really - does this affect supressors?

No can for me at this point I'm sure. Probably threaded barrel issue of some sort, amirite?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top