Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2019 8:06:19 AM EDT
Howdy.

I should be coming up to Kenai next month (if everything goes according to plan) for about 5 months of work. I'll be doing 7 12's, so not a whole lot of free time. But I've gotten approval to have the boss delay my return flight for however long I'd like at the end, and pay my own way for lodging and food. Gives me some time to go play and explore. Unfortunately, summer will already be over. There's rumor of a break in the middle for a few weeks, so possibly some time during summer.

Should I call dibs on day shift, or night shift? I was assuming 7a to 7p is the ideal shift.

I enjoy biking, but since we're flying in, can't bring my motorcycle. Not sure how a Hayabusa would go over up there anyway. Makes me regret selling my FJR. I've thought about riding or hauling it to Seattle and riding the ferry up. Not sure where to look for that, or what the cost is. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking it may be cheaper to just buy a cheap adventure bike from a local while I'm up there. Until I checked Craigslist and FB. No cheap bikes of any sort exist for sale. $3500 or so for something that runs well, more for off road capable. $150 a day to rent one. Might rent one for a few days at the end.

Company will be renting us a vehicle for the duration, but logistics will dictate whether it's available for personal use. Sounds like during the season renting a car is very expensive. So I've also considered just buying a beater car or truck while I'm up that way. Sell it when I'm about to leave. It WOULD be nice to have my own wheels for what little free time I have before sleep and going back to work.

As for guns, I only plan to bring a Glock. Does Constitutional Carry apply to non-residents? Easy enough to lock it up and declare it in my baggage. Even easier if I pay my own way up, and ride a ferry.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#2]
What should I be trying to do, and check out while I'm there? I really want to visit Anchorage at some point. 3 hour drive/ride, but looks like flights from Kenai across to Anchorage are only a couple hundred bucks. Are they seasonal, or year round/daily? Would also be cool to go to Kodiak Island.

Looking on Wiki, it's 100 females to 97 males in Kenai, so chasing girls sounds potentially productive. Looks like the ratio goes the other way in Anchorage. Might even take care of wheels if I hit it off, lol. I'm divorced in my mid 30's, so girls are always of interest.

If not, looks like there's a titty bar in Soldotna, and a handful in Anchorage. Sounds like salmon fishing is also a good idea, how much am I looking at for licenses? Looks like gas and cigarettes are about the same price as here in MI. While I'm working, I'll likely be limited to stuff within an hour of Kenai, simply due to time constraints.

Looks like the temperatures aren't really too much colder than here in MI, so I plan to just bring all my cold weather gear I've already got; insulated bibs, medium weight coat, insulated jeans... Should I be looking at getting rain gear?

What else am I not thinking of?
Link Posted: 4/21/2019 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Fishing will be good for reds, most likely, in June, July, and possibly part of August on the Kenai River and Kasilof River too. Then there’s King fishing as well from May-August. The runs haven’t been great lately, but if you want to fish for them, hook up with any of the more well known guides with drift boats. You can fish by yourself for reds. Go to Soldotna and watch how they “flip” for reds to get an idea of how to do it, and what gear you’ll need. ADFG will have prices for out of state licenses. I used to like to go to the river after work, and flip for reds in the evening at moose meadows and Soldotna creek park. The state keeps a lot of lakes around Soldotna and Kenai stocked with rainbows, if you like to fish for trout.

It rains a lot in August on the Kenai Peninsula, FYI, if you’re doing outside work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top