Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2020 1:15:24 AM EDT
BubbaShootz discussed the possibility of going to Rock Hill sometime in the future to check out Nichols Store's gun dept. I also noticed a gun shop/range North of Rock Hill called The Sportsman.

Is it worth the drive or no? Any recommendations for lunch in Rock Hill?
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't been in a couple of years but they used to be on the expensive side.  They had a nice selection at the time though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 12:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't been in a couple of years but they used to be on the expensive side.  They had a nice selection at the time though.
View Quote
Hmmm....

Perhaps another shop somewhere else might be in order.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#3]
They're like any other local gun store. You are never going to get the cheapest possible price on a new anything there. They cater to people who don't know where to go to get cheaper prices, or don't know what they want and want to peruse stock.

They do have a wide variety of outdoors products and a neat sort of rustic store environment. It's a minute off 77 and worth a stop in, IMO. Just don't expect the deal of the century.

Sportsman is ok to shoot at, but the owners haven't put a lot of money into it for 20 years or so and it shows. If I wanted to shoot and it was the closest range I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there so I can say "I've been to Sportsman's".
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 10:55:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Go ahead and go to Nichols once so you can say you did. It started out as a country gas station, with bait and tackle and added a side room with guns and ammo. The gas pumps are long gone and its been added onto a couple more times. And they have a "Barn" out back for sales of the big stuff, IE: ATVs, safes, deer stands, cooking equipment, etc. They also have a small grill and seating inside that will cook up the usual short order stuff; IE. hamburgers, hotdogs, sandwiches, etc. They are also Silencer dealers and can walk you through the whole process and paperwork.

Also if you are that close go on up I-77 to the Carowinds exit and make a pass through Cabelas next to Carowinds.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
nichols is worth the trip for the hell of it.

it is a bit expensive though.

usually have quite a selection though.
Link Posted: 3/5/2020 11:44:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess the idea was to visit various shops for the hell of it and have a good meal while out.
Sometimes its good to just get out of town for the day to see whats out there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:14:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Nichols is a good side trip.  I dropped in once or twice a couple years ago.  The had the various AR buffers that PSA cannot figure out how to stock in their stores.  Nichols also had an impressive selection of optics (EOThings, Aimpoints, etc.) for the size of the store.  If I looked hard enough, I probably could've found the camo thong that would be useful for the March for Your Gunz counterprotest later this month.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:56:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Another possibility is Doc's Gun Exchange in Florence. Marion is a pretty stand-up guy and an example of someone taking over a gun shop from a previous owner and actually improving it.

Flavors of India is not far away, either.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nichols is a good side trip.  I dropped in once or twice a couple years ago.  The had the various AR buffers that PSA cannot figure out how to stock in their stores. Nichols also had an impressive selection of optics (EOThings, Aimpoints, etc.) for the size of the store.  If I looked hard enough, I probably could've found the camo thong that would be useful for the March for Your Gunz counterprotest later this month.  
View Quote
   Isn't that the truth though- they haven't had a standard carbine buffer in stock the couple of times I've stopped by over probably the last year.  I finally just ended up adding one to a Midway order a while back.

The suggestion to hit up the Cabela's is a good one since you'll be in the area.  I hate Bass Pro and what they've done to Cabela's but I'm sure it's still a neat store to visit.  Bass Pro is on the east side of Charlotte up 85 if you're inclined to go a bit further up the road.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I hate Bass Pro and what they've done to Cabela's but I'm sure it's still a neat store to visit.
View Quote
You should be hating vulture capitalist Paul Singer and Ben Sasse not Bass Pro but that's another thread for GD.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never cared for Bass Pro but yeah, I know what you mean.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:20:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Bass Pro at Concord Mills in Charlotte?

If you think Harbison in Columbia or Woodruff Rd in Greenville are bad, you'll want to suck-start a shotgun after the traffic around Concord Mills and on I-85 near it.  If you brave the traffic and you're not a connoisseur of "thug life," try to hit Concord Mills before 3 PM.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember a trifecta of traffic snarl one weekend when I went up to Charlotte with a friend and his wife. We dropped her off at the mall then went to the gun show at the Metrolina Expo Center. And then we drove back to pick her up. I can't remember if we ever went into BPS maybe we did maybe we didn't.

And there was a NASCAR race at the track. Unfuckingbelieveafuckingble.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I am local to Rock Hill, they have a good selection of everything outdoors related but they were always on the expensive side of everything.  And then I went and got my FFL and stopped going there all together except to visit a friend I have that works there.  I know its kind of a hike but I try to hook up all my arfcom friends when they need something so if you or anyone else is ever in the area let me know, always down to just meet up and talk guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 11:43:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Avoid Sportsman.  They barely have any inventory.  Decent indoor range (I'm a member) but haven't been able to purchase anything from them.  Nichols Store is great although I've heard they have been getting hit hard with panic buying lately.  I haven't found them to be all that overpriced (maybe compared to PSA) compared to other brick and mortars.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 12:30:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Unfortunately the shortage of inventory is going to be pretty much everywhere so doing a road trip to "see what they have" is going to be a futile experience and the restaurants of course have no dine-in.

And so...fuck it. LOL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top