Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2022 12:23:32 PM EDT
Anyone have a good link to Seattle city handgun laws? I know a permit is required for CC, but what about possession? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The wiki page about it seems like a decent summary: Gun laws in Washington

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to point out how terribly inaccurate it is.

Washington state has preemption (at least for now) so localities can’t have anything more restrictive than state law. A WA state CPL or one from a state with reciprocity and you are good to go.

If you are really brave, OC is legal, too. Although I would expect that to be inviting a LOT of attention in Seattle.

I would and do just use a lot of discretion in Seattle, Tacoma, etc, period. Concealed mean concealed and all that.

Possession is fine. Just don’t have it loaded in your car if you don’t have a CPL that is recognized here.

Also, keep in mind that as of 7/1/2022, magazines holding more than 10 rounds and not already possessed in state are illegal. So if visiting from out of state after that date and something goes really wrong and you get caught with 11+ round mags, you could be charged with that as well. I keep some 10 round mags for that reason when traveling in CA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The wiki page about it seems like a decent summary: Gun laws in Washington

I’m sure someone will be along shortly to point out how terribly inaccurate it is.

Washington state has preemption (at least for now) so localities can’t have anything more restrictive than state law. A WA state CPL or one from a state with reciprocity and you are good to go.

If you are really brave, OC is legal, too. Although I would expect that to be inviting a LOT of attention in Seattle.

I would and do just use a lot of discretion in Seattle, Tacoma, etc, period. Concealed mean concealed and all that.

Possession is fine. Just don’t have it loaded in your car if you don’t have a CPL that is recognized here.

Also, keep in mind that as of 7/1/2022, magazines holding more than 10 rounds and not already possessed in state are illegal. So if visiting from out of state after that date and something goes really wrong and you get caught with 11+ round mags, you could be charged with that as well. I keep some 10 round mags for that reason when traveling in CA.
View Quote

Thanks! Your point about 10 rnd mags is a good one. My plan is I’ll be flying into SEA with a checked G19. I don’t plan to carry concealed as my TN permit is not reciprocated in WA, unfortunately. Pistol will be used for training or locked in its case. Had a buddy get hemmed up once in NY - landed at JFK and they asked to see his handgun permit at baggage claim. Just trying to avoid anything like that!
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 6:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
To be pedantic and incautious, the 1 July law bans "importation" which is not defined in the law itself.  Per the other statutory definitions, it is reasonable that importation requires the intent to sell, trade, or otherwise bring in for economic exchange.  It is not clear that possessing a magazine that is lawfully acquired out-of-state constitutes "importation."  It is not clear that if one were a WA resident carrying a G19 with a 15-round magazine on a road trip to OR or ID or wherever one would be in violation of said law for bringing the magazine back into the state.  The odds of anyone from any police agency caring at all are very low, but prudence is always, well, prudent.  Nobody wants to be a test case.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
My understanding that magazine ban dealt with intent to sell, transfer, etc.  Not ownership. Hence someone visiting and brings in a 17rd magazine, they should be fine.. but I'm not a lawyer.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 8:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My understanding that magazine ban dealt with intent to sell, transfer, etc.  Not ownership. Hence someone visiting and brings in a 17rd magazine, they should be fine.. but I'm not a lawyer.  
View Quote

Until 10 years down the road, if the law goes unchallenged, it becomes accepted knowledge in the LEO community that 10+ rd mags are "illegal" and you will get arrested when seen with one. Too bad so sad, now you have to fight it out in court.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:22:06 AM EDT
[#6]
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

The actual laws of the state.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone have a good link to Seattle city handgun laws? I know a permit is required for CC, but what about possession? Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Don't really know or care.

Concealed means concealed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't really know or care.

Concealed means concealed.
View Quote

Thanks- super helpful!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Since we’re discussing “tools” which might be carried on one’s person, if I recall correctly, Seattle does have a limit on blade length for knives, 3.5 inches IIRC for folding knives. Straight knife carry is prohibited, unless it’s being used for work, or something like that.

I trust that someone will correct or update us if this is incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
To be pedantic and incautious, the 1 July law bans "importation" which is not defined in the law itself.  Per the other statutory definitions, it is reasonable that importation requires the intent to sell, trade, or otherwise bring in for economic exchange.  It is not clear that possessing a magazine that is lawfully acquired out-of-state constitutes "importation."  It is not clear that if one were a WA resident carrying a G19 with a 15-round magazine on a road trip to OR or ID or wherever one would be in violation of said law for bringing the magazine back into the state.  The odds of anyone from any police agency caring at all are very low, but prudence is always, well, prudent.  Nobody wants to be a test case.
View Quote

The law specifically allows the WA resident carrying the G19 to leave and return with whatever they owned.

As for OP, it's an open question but I agree, wouldn't want to be a test case. One of the Democrat clowns also claimed that SB5078 doesn't prevent repairs during the floor debate and yet the plain language seems to prohibit them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top