Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/3/2020 9:37:10 PM EDT
Anybody want to do a small get together at a private range?  30+yd pistol and rifle, with a 100 yd rifle. We can basically do whatever we want and have fun (safely). Bring anything you want for those distances.  Your welcome to bring any steel or paper you have. There are a ton of spots for paper and a few built in steels but we can add whatever we want.  It’s at a private rec club that has a shooting range, I would technically be the sponsor, though there is no one there until roughly mid May so it’s free.  Please plan to be respectful and orderly even though we will be policing ourselves.  My membership depends on it!

If anyone is interested just reply here. I’m thinking a Saturday toward the beginning of February. If it goes well we can do it multiple times. My buddies and I usually do moving rifle drills and pistol competitions but it’s open for any fun stuff you guys can think up. There will be no one there but us.

ETA: there is a trap and archer range there as well.

GPS coordinates for visual on the range.

41.2908122,-88.1937052.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:34:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I would be interested. I can bring some steel so we could add the the steel already there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Count me in bud.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 10:29:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't join this year, but have a little guy, so pls keep doing this!

Hey OP - what is the age minimum?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I would love to, as I rarely get the chance to shoot outside.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds fun!
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet! I’ll get with my buddy and get back to you guys shortly. First week in feb is Super Bowl so I’ll be tied up. Second week may work though.  I’ll update everyone in a few days when I get back from work travel.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I would love to get invited. Would be great. Few rifles I need to get sighted in.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:07:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Great idea! I would be love to attend if room is available.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll make it if possible.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Getting together with my buddy today to work out the details. He has been there longer than me so he will have a better idea on how many people we can bring each trip. I don’t think there should be any issues either way though. We can go whenever we want so if someone can’t make it or there’s not enough room we will just go again the next weekend. My friends and I go about every other week.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#11]
On a side note.  We are going to shoot point blank tomorrow (Sunday) in Shorewood around 10 am if anyone wants to sling a little lead indoors.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Changed to 11am at Shoot Point Blank tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Changed to 11am at Shoot Point Blank tomorrow.
View Quote
Spent an hour at Point Blank Mokena this afternoon testing someone handloads and a new Pistol (S&W 380 EZ).

Replied to your PM
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Talked to my buddy, I think 8 people is the right number. The 2 of us make 10.  The goal is Saturday, February 8th around 10:00am but don’t put that in stone yet.

Please bring a holster for your pistol and a sling for your rifle.  We will be moving around and switching between the 2 while moving. I have an extra qd sling and Glock 19 w/ OWB holster if anyone doesn’t have that stuff. We can share too, I have no issues with anyone using my stuff on their turn. Just bring 5.56 and 9mm to fill mags you will use!
Bring enough ammo. Im guessing that I shoot around 300-400 pistol and 150-180 rifle when we go normally, maybe a little more. might be less taking turns with 10 people though.
There is nowhere to warm up and the only restroom is an outhouse about 1/2 mile away from the range.
We will probably be there for 3-4 hours. We usually go to my or his house to clean weapons, have a beer, and talk about guns when we are done.  You guys are welcome to join in that part too.

Our normal routine is;
Pistols on the line at random ranges using paper.  Lots of follow the bullet, dot torture, and other friendly competition type shooting.
Pistols shooting small and large random targets (from walnuts, slivers of clay targets, to bowling pins).
Moving rifle/pistol shooting at paper and steel (usually <40 yds).
Then move back to random pistol stuff.
Sometimes 100 yd rifle stuff.

Excited to mix it up and do any cool drills and competitions you guys know!

Quick reminder, we are not tactical ninja operator dudes with a ton of training.  We are average shooters and just do this for fun (and miss a lot).  We are also not cowboys and put a priority on safety.
I’ll get the final date tomorrow and let everyone know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Spent an hour at Point Blank Mokena this afternoon testing someone handloads and a new Pistol (S&W 380 EZ).

Replied to your PM
View Quote
How do you like the EZ?  I’m an M&P fan. I’d like to get the 3.6” 12 rd sub compact.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 1:55:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Which club and how much is membership?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 3:55:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds really cool, I’ve never done any shooting and moving kind of stuff, would love to try.  I also have a new PA 2.5x to sight in.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 7:47:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

How do you like the EZ?  I’m an M&P fan. I’d like to get the 3.6” 12 rd sub compact.
View Quote
Actually shot really nicely. Trigger is pretty nice.
Ran about 40 rounds thru it

Slide grazed me very slightly (no blood) by my thumb. I’m not used to such a small grip
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Local outdoor rec club.  My wife’s pays the dues so I’m not sure. Around $300 I think. You have to be referred and there is a long waiting list from what I hear. Like packers season ticket waiting list long.

ETA. I think initial buy in for membership is like $1200 or so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 5:40:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Local outdoor rec club.  My wife’s pays the dues so I’m not sure. Around $300 I think. You have to be referred and there is a long waiting list from what I hear. Like packers season ticket waiting list long.

ETA. I think initial buy in for membership is like $1200 or so.
View Quote
^ You made my weekend.

I used to help run a monthly shoot (not quite as cool as your plan) at a club around here, so feel free to ping me with questions. I can't join you guys for the inaugural event, but if you guys repeat it, or say it grows to like a sat/sun thing because more than 8 guys want in, I can help onsite at some future point.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok.......help me brothas!!

I don’t own a sling for my rifle!

I’ll have to check if I even have any QD slots/etc on my rifle.

I’m gonna our in a order at Mid South shooters supply and they do have AR slings.

Which one?

Or Amazon/Ebay
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:50:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ok.......help me brothas!!

I don’t own a sling for my rifle!

I’ll have to check if I even have any QD slots/etc on my rifle.

I’m gonna our in a order at Mid South shooters supply and they do have AR slings.

Which one?

Or Amazon/Ebay
View Quote
Yeah, um, ya might wanna check on your attachment point system

Post a pic of your rifle for best results.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Looked at her last night before I went to bed

Magpul stock with slots for sling.  No QD points.
M-lok handguard with what appears to be a couple holes for QD but I’m not 100% sure.
They appear to be 2 different sizes

I may just go  paracord loops with snap hooks on the end of the sling.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:09:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

M-lok handguard with what appears to be a couple holes for QD but I’m not 100% sure.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's smart.

I typically buy higher end stuff and have an old MS3 I don't want to part with (here is a chinesium version to buy today) but I have used zip ties to connect to a rifle with QD mounts. It'll work for a day. You can also get the MS3-type with QD or different ends or adapters for a FrankenAR

But I also have non 'legit' 550 cord around an 'issue' type collapsible stock instead of a 'proper' ranger band to keep it in place, so maybe I'm not your role model
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 2:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Magpul has decent prices slings. You can just ends to fit your connections. If you want to stay QD and don’t want to replace your stock you can add a QD receiver end plate. Attachment Attached File

Edit. Magpie autocorrect. Hahaha
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#26]
For what it’s worth the have magpul and other brands of slings and connectors at Megasports on RTE 30 and the Shorewood Shoot point blank.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:07:59 PM EDT
[#27]
If there is room for one more please let me know!
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Magpul has decent prices slings. You can just ends to fit your connections. If you want to stay QD and don’t want to replace your stock you can add a QD receiver end plate. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/488146/1B78D545-C5FB-46C4-A94D-5357AD09FB42_jpeg-1232764.JPG

Edit. Magpie autocorrect. Hahaha
View Quote
Yeah - I bought the MS3 (original) and it came with an end plate. I was moaning about the cost until I installed it; the little metal loop that the sling attaches to could be used to fast rope. Quality costs
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 7:50:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Bought a cheap one off amazon. Snap hooks on both ends. It has some decent reviews (Kaylles?)

I’ll grab some paracord for the attachment point.

I’m more of a bench/long range/pistol shooter.

Attachment Attached File

This will be coming for sure!
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm interested.  Please PM with details
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#31]
This sounds really fun, too bad I cant make it..Thanks for the invite......Have fun everyone.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok, I have to pare it down to 4 guys the first round. We’d  like to get a feel for it first time out for space and safety considerations.  Sorry for any inconvenience. We will go down the list of the first to reply:
Handyandy
Doorman
Bosman
Efxguy

If anyone can’t end up making it please reply and we will add the next one in the list.

Siggarreth, pennyless gamer, bssrf, eegs in that order.

Meet at the gas station off Rte 55 at the Coal City exit (Rte 113) Saturday, Feb 8th at 9:00 am. It’s about 8 miles south of rte 80. Feel free to bring any steel or paper you have.  I’m guessing we will shoot for about 3 hours or a little more.

Let everyone know ASAP so we can fill your spot if you can’t make. Next round we add a few more and rotate the other guys in if it all goes well!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:43:09 AM EDT
[#34]
@Muels
Can you IM contact info for any last minute instructions, ect?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Muels.....Thank you for organizing everything. This post is what finally got me to sign up on these forums. Coal City is really close to me. I completely understand the need to limit the amount of people though. Hopefully I'll be able to join you on your next outing. I hope you guys have a great time!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Any last minute drops please let me know.  I live 10 minutes from there in Braidwood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Muels.....Thank you for organizing everything. This post is what finally got me to sign up on these forums. Coal City is really close to me. I completely understand the need to limit the amount of people though. Hopefully I'll be able to join you on your next outing. I hope you guys have a great time!!
View Quote
Awesome! Welcome aboard. It appears I live right next to at least 2 of you guys. I’m in Wilmington.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I'll be there with bells on!

Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Just need @bosman to confirm and we are set for the first round.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:12:51 AM EDT
[#40]
I am planning on being there, this sounds like it's going to be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:09:54 AM EDT
[#41]
SBR's welcome?
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
SBR's welcome?
View Quote
Bring anything you want. We are full for the first trip but I’ll put you in the list for next time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 6:18:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Made sure some new loads for my AR are good and did some load testing for my new bolt gun today.

It was nice and quiet at the range today.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Hope everyone else has made sure all their stuff is sighted in and running good!!

I may go back down to the range next weekend. If anyone needs to test/sight stuff in let me know.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
I’m sighting in a new 1-6 tomorrow and verifying my other red dots.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Shot for 3 hrs at the range today. Ton of different drills. It was a blast.  Can’t wait to get the group together in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Made sure some new loads for my AR are good and did some load testing for my new bolt gun today.

It was nice and quiet at the range today.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/469047/C4F7D26B-C6F1-4CCA-90D4-0A903A8C3F60_jpe-1249506.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/469047/B68D6DC3-FDB4-47C8-B4E8-1258C33F1A3E_jpe-1249508.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/469047/74965461-506A-43EC-8994-6D26FA0483AB_jpe-1249509.JPG

Hope everyone else has made sure all their stuff is sighted in and running good!!

I may go back down to the range next weekend. If anyone needs to test/sight stuff in let me know.
View Quote
Hmmm, that range looks familiar ;)  Hi Doorman, we've met at the range.  Let me know if you're going this weekend.  I may join weather permitting.  I need to start practicing for service rifle
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Are those support beams downrange? Or does your range have multiple 'tees' per your handicap?  ????
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Hmmm, that range looks familiar ;)  Hi Doorman, we've met at the range.  Let me know if you're going this weekend.  I may join weather permitting.  I need to start practicing for service rifle
View Quote
@garbageman
I’ll keep you in mind. My plan is too go......work not getting in the way of course.
I remember chatting with you late last year.

Anyone else feel free to post up.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Are those support beams downrange? Or does your range have multiple 'tees' per your handicap?  ????
View Quote
Ha ha ha.......they don’t feel “ volley fire” is appropriate!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@garbageman
I’ll keep you in mind. My plan is too go......work not getting in the way of course.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@garbageman

Those beams are supporting baffles (walls) that keep people from being able to shoot high enough that their round will escape over the top of the backstop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top