Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2021 8:44:02 PM EDT
Been waiting on lumber for our new build going on 2 months now. We are going through a semi-large builder(not cbh, Hayden, or Hubble) who claim that they are waiting on lumber.

We went into contract middle of January. Foundation, utilities, and flat work were completed first or so week of May. Crickets since.

I call BS on the shortage claims. I suspect it’s more to do with the increase in price of material (same specced home like ours is $160k more than it was at time of contract) and them waiting out as long as they can for them to decrease. Anyone see it that way or am I just a conspiracy nut and there actually is low inventory of lumber?

Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Every person i know in the trades says the lumber shortage is a huge deal, along with all the other materials.

What builder is it?
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 1:29:30 PM EDT
[#2]
They came back to me and said it’s specifically trusses. The gang plates for them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a shortage on mending plates but basically just a huge backlog on trusses.

They should've been ordered when you went into contract.

3-4 months out on trusses, we've been hand stacking all our roof framing rather than wait. Works fine for additions, not so fine for new construction being framed by crews who have never cut a rafter in their lives.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I know someone that was building, started a few months ago.  Trusses were delayed about 6 weeks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 4:00:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got a call from the builder, sounds like it’ll be another 3 weeks or so. They said they were getting 2 deliveries a week and recently for the last few weeks none. Said they are at 1 a week and we are no. 3 in line.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd been hearing that OSB, MDF, and plywoods that require resin adhesives were caught in that Texas winter storm: between pandemic and the big storm, the glue factory that apparently supplies a lot of the wood adhesives got shut down and we're now dealing with trickle down from that problem.

A quick google shows there some truth behind that rumor:

"Also, the winter storms in Texas believe it or not effected chemical production resin factories now not making the basic resins for glues, glues are products you know used for plywood construction OSB construction and that's a lot of the cost factors," said Gordon."https://wjactv.com/news/local/lumber-prices-skyrocket-as-shortage-continues

and

"Closures in Europe and in the United States and limited freight capacities on sea and on land have had a negative impact on the availability of raw materials essential to adhesive manufacturing.
Availability of raw materials essential to adhesive manufacturing had already been limited prior to the outages, the company said. The situation has been made worse by the recent severe winter weather in the U.S. South which has led to the loss of a large part of refinery and chemical production capacities in the U.S. According to the U.S. American Adhesive and Sealant Council, supply chains in and from the United States will take weeks or even months to recover."
https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/woodworking-industry-news/chemical-shortages-limited-freight-capacities-reduce-wood-adhesive

And other resin / polymer issues:
"But there could be a bigger problem looming from the Texas deep freeze: consumer goods inventory issues. About 85% of the polyethylene made in the United States comes from Texas."

https://www.wgrz.com/article/money/business/texas-deep-freeze-causing-issues-for-western-new-york-manufacturing/71-847a2484-2440-4c98-873b-981dc7cd8b40

Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Found this in my shop.  Figured I would give you guys a shot before I list it in the EE.  I will trade for 1000 rounds of 9mm.  Don't lowball me, I know what I got.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Also this is what they told me:

“Even if we get lumber delivered, we will not start building the home without trusses being readily available because of the risk that the walls and plates will start bowing and twisting in this heat.”

How true is the above? Or is this another excuse…
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:10:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Family member is building a house and I have been helping them out with a few things.  Construction has been progressing, but I have noticed there is no one there in the afternoons.  No surprise.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Also this is what they told me:

“Even if we get lumber delivered, we will not start building the home without trusses being readily available because of the risk that the walls and plates will start bowing and twisting in this heat.”

How true is the above? Or is this another excuse…
View Quote

You dont want walls up long without trusses.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You dont want walls up long without trusses.
View Quote

Got it. Thanks for the confirmation. I trust them but want independent expert opinions.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.  Toll Brothers/Coleman Homes across the road is having the same issues.  They've pushed some new homes back a couple of months due to shortages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top