Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2022 12:33:37 PM EDT
This will be the first hike of what will hopefully become an official chapter of the American Pioneer Corps.

If you aren’t familiar with APC, read up on the website here.

The plan is to begin hiking NLT 0900 Saturday morning. The trail will be posted closer to the date, but it will be around Johnson City, TN.

The goal is to complete a 3 mile hike in accordance with APC standards to achieve a Provisional Candidate rating. This requires a pack weight of 25lbs and a time limit of under 1 hour. If there is enough interest and participation we can opt to complete 6 miles with 35lbs in under two hours to go toward the Pioneer Candidate 3rd Class rating.

We will not be carrying long guns, so in accordance with the standards we will carry an additional 10lbs each. So, 35lbs total weight plus water for the 3  miler or 45lbs plus water for the 6 miler.

More reading on the APC rating system can be found here.

Please remember that the APC is an apolitical organization, so political discussion while acting on behalf of APC is not allowed. (See link above)

Also I recommend reading the posts by @Ben in this thread.

Ben, if I have left anything out that you would like posted here please let me know. A lot of us appreciate what you are doing with APC and want to see it grow and prosper. Thank you.

I look forward to seeing some of you guys again and meeting new people next month!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#1]
@arowneragain
@FBATFE
@Paulie771
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#2]
@mohawk17
@Merlin
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 12:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@mohawk17
@Merlin
View Quote
Thanks for the invite!  Unfortunately, the 5 1/2 hour drive is a bit too much.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Shiiiiiiit. That’s the weekend my little brother is getting married in ‘Nooga. Hopefully I can make the next or one in middle TN. Thanks for the mention.
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 3:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I will get it on the schedule and will update if I can’t make it.
I run and bike a few times a week but we don’t have much hiking in my part of Texas so i would have to opt for the 3mi only.
Any advice on gear/prep would be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to seeing more of East Tn and getting to meet some of you!
Link Posted: 9/5/2022 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a really long drive, and not the best weekend for me, so I decided to wait a bit before replying to the thread.

I'm not saying 'no'. But I do want to ask:

Anyone want to split an Airbnb the night before? If I was rested I think I could do the hike and drive home the same day. And I have a decently fuel-efficient car for up to 4 passengers (6 if you're REALLY SMALL).

Link Posted: 9/12/2022 1:16:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's a really long drive, and not the best weekend for me, so I decided to wait a bit before replying to the thread.

I'm not saying 'no'. But I do want to ask:

Anyone want to split an Airbnb the night before? If I was rested I think I could do the hike and drive home the same day. And I have a decently fuel-efficient car for up to 4 passengers (6 if you're REALLY SMALL).

View Quote

I've got a couch or tent spot for you if you want.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Would something like this be suitable for 35lb?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've got a couch or tent spot for you if you want.
View Quote

THANK YOU!

I have to be sure I can come before I commit. But that's a great option.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I definitely recommend something with a hip belt. I’m not familiar with that pack but try to find something rated to carry the weight you plan to hike with.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 3:35:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@Merlin
View Quote
I was planning for tomorrow at your place.  

This one is too far.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Humm....I am in east TN (eastern time zone) but way further south....like can throw a rock and hit GA.  I doubt I could make that trip.

As a note people are going to have to @ me as I don't usually go in the hometown section that much.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#15]
It will be the second weekend of Bear season with dogs. May want to carry some orange.

sounds interesting but i will be out hunting.
Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#16]
If anyone from the Knoxville area is wanting to go and would like to save a little on fuel, I will have plenty of room in my pickup.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey guys, we’ll be doing the Tweetsie Trail, meeting at the Johnson City trailhead.

More info on the trail.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#18]
It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to doing this more often.
I am good with a two hour radius around Knoxville for future hikes if we are wanting to do another one closer to some
of you that were interested but felt Johnson city was a little far.
I am also open to carpooling with locals to hikes that may be further away.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 2:59:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Great hike today! Wonderful to meet you guys. Looking forward to the next one. We gotta pump those numbers up though!
Link Posted: 10/8/2022 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Yep! Lol I’ll even wear a pack next time
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top