Link Posted: 9/9/2007 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Whats that your holding a .25cal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2007 5:39:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate wheaties. Is cream o wheat OK?

Link Posted: 9/12/2007 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#7]
On a serious note it's not suposed to reach 90 degrees on Saturday.  I'll be wearing my winter gear  Seems like we can get back to four stages with no problem.  I have to give the saftey briefing at 4:00 so no big deal on time for me.  Can we get a sound off with who all is planning to be there?
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On a serious note it's not suposed to reach 90 degrees on Saturday.  I'll be wearing my winter gear  Seems like we can get back to four stages with no problem.  I have to give the saftey briefing at 4:00 so no big deal on time for me.  Can we get a sound off with who all is planning to be there?

Still nope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#9]
 Frank and I will be!
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#10]
my son's first birthday is saturday so I wont be able to make it.  Gonna try to take the wife to the range next week and let her shoot, she hasnt been in a while.  She likes the M4 and the Garand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]
In honor of the Kilt thread in G.D, I will be in my manskirt. Yes, I will have somthing on under it !
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In honor of the Kilt thread in G.D, I will be in my manskirt. Yes, I will have somthing on under it !

This conjures up images I don't want stuck in my head.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Well sorry Kimber won't be there...looking forward to the kilt (in a bad traffic accident sort of way).   Looks like it will be a small crowd.  I'll break out the baloons and everything, all stops for the coolest match EVER.  Just longer reset times.

Buzworm you going to be there?  Maybe bring some rifle plates?
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Dude -
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:24:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I hope we dont have the climb up the ladder stage
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I had really hoped I'd be able to make it to this months match if even only as a spectator. Doc says I still need more time to heal before I can walk without a walker though. Maybe by next month I'll be able to stand on my own two feet. Hope you guys had a good match.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 1:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
We missed you James, glad to hear you will be on your feet and soon.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I had really hoped I'd be able to make it to this months match if even only as a spectator. Doc says I still need more time to heal before I can walk without a walker though. Maybe by next month I'll be able to stand on my own two feet. Hope you guys had a good match.

James - I was wondering when we'd hear from you. Just take it easy and listen to the doc. There's always next month.

I saw the scores posted already. I guess the Wheaties worked... Congrats to Currahee.

Hey, incidentally, I got an e-mail from Andrew B this week - he's doing well and wanted me to tell everyone hello for him.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Congrads to Hale  it was a really good match. you wupped me good not counting that you where one of the R.O.'s and had to do all that running back and forth with the timer. thanks to Len & Wayne for being R.O.'s also. Andrew  you missed the best match ever. next month is our 1 year ann. for the rifle match. we have got to do some moving and shooting
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#21]
wish i could have been there.  Sounds like yall had a good time, especially Hale.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 8:53:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Video is up, and oh yeah...there is some kilt action near the end.  I almost didn't get it done 'cause I was surfing for one of my own.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxYccsFEZEg

I didn't feel paricularly inspired with the music selection, but guns are mentioned in each song.  No particular social or political undertones though
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No love for the videos?

Anyway a couple questions/ideas I would like comments on....

1st: How did we feel about the more tacticool no weapon past the cover?

2nd: I've been beating my head around on how to force a malfunction drill.  I don't want to buy snap caps for everything.  How about using a piece of empty brass loaded randomly in your magazine (an RO or someone would load it) then you are forced to stop, work the action then start again.

3rd: Who would like a T shirt for our 1 year aniversary next month?  They will cost about (under) $15, there is not enough time for discusion of design, it will probably be a brownish thing with some kind of design and lettering in a semi-bright color or black.  If you tust me to design it, let me know.  If I get a confirmed 10 orders I will get them made.

Of course I wasn't there but I still get a vote.

1-Good idea I think, but I also think we need to be careful that teaching "doctorine" does not become a theme of the match. Will we make them shoot around concealment next versus over concealment? Will we penalize them for not reloading before they move? The list can go on and on. I do not want to become IDPA-ish when it comes to freedom of movement.

2-I don't think we can possibly have snap caps for everyone who might show up to the match. ARs and AKs rule out there, but we also have David who shoots 9mm carbine, I'll eventually bring my garand out there, feasible we will get a 5.45mm AK. I just don't think we can plan for every caliber that might show up. The problem with the piece of brass (I think) is that the malfunction that will cause will be inconsistent. What I mean by that is the empty brass might chamer just fine. Then again, it might go half into battery, get crushed by the bolt, and lodge into the action. The actions required to clear the different malfunctions are night and day. One will take 2 seconds, the other will take 10 seconds. So shooters might get a "good" malfunction, and they might get a "bad" malfunction. We'll have to think about this one.

3-Shirts? Sure, I'm in.

Link Posted: 9/16/2007 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I enjoyed the video and escpecially the transitions.  I'm all in for a shirt.  Maybe something in desert tan or OD, something like that.  Awesome shoot, wish i could have been there.  I'll be working during the next 2 rifle shoots, but off the pistol shoots.  Hopefully it will be cold for the december rifle match.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey, it's nice to be missed. I watched the vid and looks like ya'll had a great match. It'll be a while before I can run and gun like that. Congrats to Currahee on the win.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Im interested in the t shirt if it doesnt have any of that sissy green gun crap on it
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Were yall considering doing away with the no finger in the trigger guard rule while you are moving. Ken had said something to me about it. He said he wanted to do away with it in the rifle match and start moving and shooting more. He did not want to change  it in the pistol match because we have to many new shooters show up. Oh yea i noticed there was only 1 shooter who hit all 3 (8inch) 100yrd. plates with 3 shots and he was using iron sights.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I loved the shoot and video. Not breaching cover was good and I would like some shooting on the move. Malfunction drill would be nice but it should prompt  transition, not clearing. Put me down for a shirt,OD or Tan would be good, black is just too hot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Were yall considering doing away with the no finger in the trigger guard rule while you are moving. Ken had said something to me about it. He said he wanted to do away with it in the rifle match and start moving and shooting more. He did not want to change  it in the pistol match because we have to many new shooters show up. Oh yea i noticed there was only 1 shooter who hit all 3 (8inch) 100yrd. plates with 3 shots and he was using iron sights.

I think we need to say before a stage that "this is a shoot on the move stage."  If we start letting people run all the time with their trigger finger in the guard we will have an F-up.  The last stage this month was one that was prettymuch designed for shooting on the move.

Here is an option...we could change it to "finger in the trigger guard only when engaging a target" and that would cover all the bases (I think-but want input)
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I loved the shoot and video. Not breaching cover was good and I would like some shooting on the move. Malfunction drill would be nice but it should prompt  transition, not clearing. Put me down for a shirt,OD or Tan would be good, black is just too hot.

The dowloaded magazine covers the transition, like in stage one this match...wether you transition or clear would be, to me, situation dependant.  Engaging multiple targets close up from no cover?  If you run dry or malfunction you should go to the pistol.  If your engaging targets at 30+ meters from cover?  You should step behind the cover and clear/reload.  Mostly we're just trying to figure out a way to randomly throw ourselves off the shooting pattern and make sure you can manipulate the weapon correctly and keep driving on.

We're always trying to think of new things to do.  Sometime in the next few months there will be a throw a grenade in the house first stage...and I'm still looking for a LAW or AT4 tube to shoot a "tank" before we go to the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been procrastinating and I came up with a rough draft for the T shirt.

Of course if you don't want that logo I can change it

I was thinking...

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"

"Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast"

"MOLAN LABE"

"WGMATATS"

"I emptied two camelbaks and didn't pee all day"

Also, the "Gulf Coast Multigun Crew" could change but I kind of like that.

There would also be something on the pocket front.

Link Posted: 9/17/2007 2:57:02 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is an option...we could change it to "finger in the trigger guard only when engaging a target" and that would cover all the bases (I think-but want input)

Here's input - We're not doing it as long as I answer to the club for the match.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 3:29:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I like it with "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final" sense that is on all the video's
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I see a clear with cover. I like slow is smooth for the shirts. Maybe the front could be a crossed AR and AK (the better weapon on top).

ETA "Gulf Coast Multigun Crew"
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm liking this guy more, though it seems a bit more...militant, and even though it looks like an FAL.

The problem with crossed rifles is getting them to look right in one color, about the best I could do is infantry crossed rifles and I don't realy like that idea.  IT will probably just say "Gulf Coast Multigiun Crew" on the front pocket area.
I'll have to look at the price difference in pocket T -vs- non pocket when I get there.  I don't keep anything in that pocket anyway.

I have to get ten confirmed, minimum order is 12, and I'll only buy 2 myself.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's input - We're not doing it as long as I answer to the club for the match.

OK, let me clarify a little bit since I'm not running out the door and I think I understand the question a little better:

What we can not have is a shooter get complacent and think that it is acceptable to run from Point A to Point B downrange with his finger inside the trigger guard. This is simply a cardinal firearms safety rule. We are all aware that we get many shooters of varying skill levels and/or comfort levels with firearms and I will continue to preach finger out of the trigger guard rule during the match safety brief.

Now, we have stages that are freestyle or allow a shooter the lattitude to shoot "on the move". As Currahee stated, the difference here is the shooter has taken a proper sight picture, is aligned on a target he wishes to engage, and then takes his shots. His finger will then come out of the trigger guard as he continues to move towards his next target.

This is all accepted match format rules in the name of safety. None of it is re-inventing the wheel. We are all aware of what the intent of that rule is for, and what we are trying to avoid.

Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I'm liking this guy more, though it seems a bit more...militant, and even though it looks like an FAL.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v453/currahee/tshirt2wrk2.jpg

The problem with crossed rifles is getting them to look right in one color, about the best I could do is infantry crossed rifles and I don't realy like that idea.  IT will probably just say "Gulf Coast Multigiun Crew" on the front pocket area.
I'll have to look at the price difference in pocket T -vs- non pocket when I get there.  I don't keep anything in that pocket anyway.

I have to get ten confirmed, minimum order is 12, and I'll only buy 2 myself.

I'm liking this guy better. When I saw the first one I immediately thought "Randy Weaver" - don't ask me why.

I automatically associate FN's with the Rhodesian Army. So, the bit of nostalgia is just a bonus as far as I'm concerned. Just don't put a Blue Beret on him.

Put me in for 2 if you need to get the order # up. I could take or leave the pocket.
Link Posted: 9/17/2007 6:37:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Fast is fine but, accuracy is final by the great Bill Jordan echo's in my grey matter.

I'm not sure who all the players are here on the board, but I do know I enjoy the matches and they really are a day of platform testing, training, practice and many things for me and my son.  I've learned a whole lot about different hardware, ammunition, clothing etc. while doing these each month.  I hope they continue.

The video's are always enjoyable and my thanks to all those at the front who make the matches possible.

As for me, I don't need a tee shirt.  I just need these items ingrained in the collective grey matter to include my own at the matches.

1.  Treat all guns as if they are loaded.
2.  Muzzle discipline.  Don't let it cross what you're not willing to destroy.
3.  Trigger finger.  Off the trigger and outside the trigger guard until ready to fire.  I may have violated number 3 Saturday, but number two will keep you out of trouble if brain fart occurs.  Fortunately I didn't stumble or ND a round.  Maybe that hot range training helped or angels were keeping watch.  Who knows?

I'm even more fond of Number 23 posted at the range regarding the handling of firearms while others are downrange.  Major violation last week and God willing, I'll never see a .45 from that angle again.

As to the Bill Jordan and Currahee mottos regarding speed and accuracy, I'm looking to have the following engraved inside my eyelids before the next match.

1.  Front sight
2.  Trigger control

That's my focus for the next match and as the video points out, we need to still hear more of those simple (God help us, not from IDPA), but yes, simple IDPA commands
that got passed out a few months back before the ND fest in June and July,

Finger (I should have heard that from my R.O. if I was violating it)
Muzzle (Watch the video)
Stop (For those that don't heed  the above or who are heading into a dangerous behaviour)

Cover - If we are actually going to pursue the use of cover.

But that's just me and I could be wrong, I have been before.  Just in case for the short barrel weapons match, the second chance accoutraments may come along just in case.

One last suggestion for anybody performing as RSO's.  We should be watching the shooter, not the targets.  It's hard to do and you have to make yourself do it, but a millisecond is all it takes.  Fun's over whent the bleeding starts in my world.

Fire mission, fire for effect, one round, Willy Peter.

Last comment on the video Currahee.  I've got to explain to the world why I was chasing a guy wearing a skirt forever.

Bwahaaaaa!  have
Safety first, nothing else matters.

Signed,

Safety Nazi
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I'll take TWO, both in XL, and put frank down for one. If we can get kids sizes, I would like one of those too (Kaleb is 3T). My son loves the vids, he can name quite a few of y'all in any one of them.

ETA:  len223, I'm the one in the skirt.

Link Posted: 9/19/2007 3:29:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I will take 2 make mine  XL
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I will take 2 make mine  XL

Yup. Make both mine XL. Seems like everytime I get t-shirts in large they shrink after a couple washings.

Maybe I'll send one to Andrew B, but I kind of doubt he'll get to wear it for a while.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey, here's a late addition. On the pocket of mine, maybe it could say,

If slow is smooth I'm the smoothest Mofo at the match.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I'll take one more, for the wife, SMALL please.
Link Posted: 9/19/2007 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I wish a small would fit the wife.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 3:51:47 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I wish a small would fit the wife.

I  thought that was why she married you he he he

just kidding
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 7:36:15 AM EDT
[#46]
make mine an XL.  I got 2 dummy grenades from my dad's house and I am willing to buy a few more to use in the matches if that is what ya'll are wanting to do.
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#47]

I thought that was why she married you he he he

just kidding

I knew some smartass would say something like that.
Thanks alot Wayne
Link Posted: 9/20/2007 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#48]
in order to commermorate the 1 year anniversary, i am taking vacation from work Oct. 20/21.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Cool Kimber. it will be nice to have you.

There are some new pics up in the slideshow on the web page

www.gcrpc.com/combatshoot/
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#50]
I hesitate to give any input as I am still very new to the sport and probably dont know what I am talking about. However I in the intrest of saftey I think we need a blowout kit on the scene for these matches. I think you can over enphasise safety to the point that you make people tune it out. This would have a negative impact on safety. I blowout kit really could save a life if not the matches if there were an accident.

Currahee thanks for the video I like being able to whatch them when I don't make the match. I will be there for both matches next month.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top