Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When "Conservatives" talk about abolishing rules....

So you don't want to show ID when you vote. Your argument that its an encrouchment of gubmint is thin, at best. States have the right to run their elections in a manner they see fit.

And just because the states have the right to do something, does that mean they should?  The states have the right to have big governments.  Does that mean they should?

EDIT

Do states and governments even have rights?  Or is the word "powers" what we're looking for?

Correction noted. States have "rights" relative to the Federal gubmint. Powers is the correct term.

But to your other point, its purely a moral question. States have powers, but, should they use them? Well, ask your representative. Pontificating on a gun forum is interesting, but, running for office or supporting those that share your same point of view is the only way to change things.

Link Posted: 10/3/2012 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Correction noted. States have "rights" relative to the Federal gubmint. Powers is the correct term.

But to your other point, its purely a moral question. States have powers, but, should they use them? Well, ask your representative. Pontificating on a gun forum is interesting, but, running for office or supporting those that share your same point of view is the only way to change things.

All over that.
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 1:49:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When "Conservatives" talk about abolishing rules....

So you don't want to show ID when you vote. Your argument that its an encrouchment of gubmint is thin, at best. States have the right to run their elections in a manner they see fit.

And just because the states have the right to do something, does that mean they should?  The states have the right to have big governments.  Does that mean they should?

EDIT

Do states and governments even have rights?  Or is the word "powers" what we're looking for?

Where exactly are you going with this?  That government shouldn't take steps to ensure the integrity of elections?  I would argue that this is the very top priority of all levels of government.  You may be right about the requirement to use ID for so many things, but I don't see how you can be opposed to measures being put in place to prevent voter fraud, especially here in MN where we've seen it happen in front of our eyes.

Is requiring a valid ID the magic fix?  Of course not but it's an incredibly easy and basic first step, one that is so common in our society that it really calls into question the motives of those who argue against it.  I'm entirely in favor of disallowing the vouching system and same-day registrations, but having one certainly does not preclude the other.

Voting is a civic duty, and the requirements to show basic ID are not in any way onerous.  If a person will not take the time to validate their status as a voter, they are disenfranchising themselves.  Why should I have my vote negated by a bunch of illegal votes simply because some people don't care enough to take the time to get proper ID?
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]
EVERYONE has ID...

it is a non issue made big by folks that just like to argue...

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Where exactly are you going with this?  That government shouldn't take steps to ensure the integrity of elections?  I would argue that this is the very top priority of all levels of government.  You may be right about the requirement to use ID for so many things, but I don't see how you can be opposed to measures being put in place to prevent voter fraud, especially here in MN where we've seen it happen in front of our eyes.

Is requiring a valid ID the magic fix?  Of course not but it's an incredibly easy and basic first step, one that is so common in our society that it really calls into question the motives of those who argue against it.  I'm entirely in favor of disallowing the vouching system and same-day registrations, but having one certainly does not preclude the other.

Voting is a civic duty, and the requirements to show basic ID are not in any way onerous.  If a person will not take the time to validate their status as a voter, they are disenfranchising themselves.  Why should I have my vote negated by a bunch of illegal votes simply because some people don't care enough to take the time to get proper ID?

Would you care to discuss what steps would follow up this "easy and basic first step"?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 6:27:24 AM EDT
[#6]
GrandForks, do you have an ID or not?
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 1:57:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would you care to discuss what steps would follow up this "easy and basic first step"?

Steps such as verifying citizenship, residency and eligibility, which ideally would be linked to a person's ID card and would be signaled as a pass/fail to the election officials whether a person has already voted and if they are even eligible TO vote.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:50:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GrandForks, do you have an ID or not?

I do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 1:51:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Steps such as verifying citizenship, residency and eligibility, which ideally would be linked to a person's ID card and would be signaled as a pass/fail to the election officials whether a person has already voted and if they are even eligible TO vote.

So there are no subsequent steps.  "Basic first step".  Sounds like something I hear all too often in politics.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So there are no subsequent steps.  "Basic first step".  Sounds like something I hear all too often in politics.

there will be a lot more steps you don't like when the other guys cheat their way into office.
Link Posted: 10/9/2012 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I think its simple.   If you vote, without the eligibility to vote, mandatory death penalty.  If you assist said person in voting illegally, mandatory death penalty.  

If you make the stakes high enough, maybe it'll curb the problem.  

Link Posted: 10/9/2012 3:02:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think its simple.   If you vote, without the eligibility to vote, mandatory death penalty.  If you assist said person in voting illegally, mandatory death penalty.  

If you make the stakes high enough, maybe it'll curb the problem.  

It may just be me, but I think the death penalty may be a little.......lets say......too harsh.

Link Posted: 11/6/2012 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#13]
This is arfcom - everyone here has presumably purchased a gun 1 or maybe 85 times - probably showed your ID and got a background check performed a few times too.  Depending on when/where you bought it, you probably also had to have a "permit to purchase".  

When a libtard throws a hissy fit about "disenfranchising" voters - I simply as them "If vouching for someone is a good enough form of ID to register to vote, should it be a good enough ID check to walk in to a gun store and purchase a gun?"  It's really that simple.

To the OP's point though - I understand his point about not wanting to give more power to the government.  From a strictly philosophical level, we should not want the government to require ID to vote, if for no other reason than the government is granted power "by the people" not the other way around.  So on a philosophical level, I agree that requiring voter ID is not ideal.  However, in the real world, there's always a handful of morons that ruin things for every one else.  In reality, showing my ID to buy a gun is not an impediment to buying a gun, it's something that I accept and do as a responsible citizen because I don't want criminals to be able to buy guns.  

Same logic applies to voting in the real world.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Great response, n00b!
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Here we go - every US Citizen has a SSN or even with a government photo ID with a strip like driver's licenses do.  Punch in SSN or slide your ID cared into a computer at the polling center that says PROCEED or DENIED.  PROCEED - you go vote like normal.  If you requested early ballot, absentee ballot, criminal, voted at another location, deceased - the computer system would know and deny.  Simple.
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great response, n00b!

His logic is just far too sound. He must be a troll on another forum. I say lynch him...
Link Posted: 11/6/2012 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#17]
OP here. I held my nose and voted yes on this ammendment because it

was the right thing to do IMO, even though I was against it in the most part.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 5:26:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Me too.  Well, I was actually more in favor, but cheaters would just have fake ID's––maybe some already do.

Don't feel  too bad, even proposition 37 failed in california (mainly due to the "RIGHT WING CONTROLLED MEDIA AND RIGHT WING ELECTION STEALERS") per the Organic Consumers Association.
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Me too.  Well, I was actually more in favor, but cheaters would just have fake ID's––maybe some already do.

Don't feel  too bad, even proposition 37 failed in california (mainly due to the "RIGHT WING CONTROLLED MEDIA AND RIGHT WING ELECTION STEALERS") per the Organic Consumers Association.

That's one of the points I've been making, that we'd expand the reach of the State and it would be for naught!  Why is it that people suddenly become sensible once the elections are over?!?
Link Posted: 11/12/2012 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some people have no concept of political reality.  Rather, they can only see things through the prism of their silly two-party games...even though they're being kicked around by the left foot as well as the right.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So when you go into there and you tell them your name. They look it up, and it's already been signed by someone else, what do you do?

Discuss.

+1
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top