Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:05:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Nice lookin' 1911. I love the things, but they don't like me. No matter what I do, the thumb safety tears a hole in the web of my thumb. I have had a number of them, All the same, even with plenty of good smithin'. Oh well, I can look and admire.
BTW, where did you pick it up at? Larry's, RGS, or Flyin' Clouds? I just picked up a Taurus 605 at Larry's and a Sig Mosquito at Flyin' Clouds. Santa was good to me this year.

If you make it to the next shoot I'll hand you one that wont bite

( no it's not for sale and never will be )
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

"A handgun should be used to fight your way back to your rifle" Clint Smith

The fight will probably be over before you have a chance to retrieve a rifle. How long does it take to fire two or three rounds? How long to run to your car from where you are right now?  Unless I’m just getting in or out of the car I am probably a minute of two away.  I think the context of the quote is your South American banana plantation is being overrun by guerillas, so you take care of the first wave with your pistol while you run naked from the hot tub to your gun rack and retrieve your M16 and twenty mags.

I heard he moved up here to Oregon, out in the sticks somewhere. How come he’s not in the forum yet?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:17:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I reverted back to a Glock 23 simply for capacity reasons.

I never understood that school of thought. I mean were does it end? Sure you can carry 3 mags and have uber firepower. Why not a G26 with G18 mags? Hell why not a m11 or tec nine?

Reality is you should be shooting to escape not shooting for an extended exchange of gunfire. I read somwhere that the average number of shots fired by sombody defending themselves was 2. I could go one but wont...

Again I just dont see the need in a CCW.

Simple - Meth heads in my part of the world tend to not go down with one or two shots; this info from Clackamas County Sheriff officers. They also tend to congregate in large groups of three or more. Thus the need for sufficient capacity (what every that magic number is). I do agree on the need to shoot to escape but more so my mindset is to shoot to survive. BTW - I only carry one extra mag. To further the point, I do not see the practicality in carrying an 18 round magazine as you mentioned. First that would require switching to 9mm and I will not do that. Second, it seems to me the G18 mags would not conceal well. The G23 with its 13+1 capacity conceals very well. Ballistically speaking the .40 SW is a very capable round.  In addition to the proven reliability of the Glock platform I am comfortable with my choice.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:27:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Meth head meet 230gr JHP.      

I've heard too many reports of 40 hits that dont seem to do as well as they should.   Breaking bone favors alot of momentum.    I lean towards heavier is better.   Hell if the .50GI was a common round/pistol I'd carry that.   As long as you dont significantly increase recoil I'll always take the bigger cartridge.    Capacity is of far less importance as long as there's enough to get the job done in the first place.   I'd feel as comfortable with a 45acp revolver as an autoloader if I could shoot it as well.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Someone say purdy 1911?
img294.imageshack.us/img294/3747/kimberwarrior1nk.jpg

Trip to the range, buddy?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never understood that school of thought. I mean were does it end? Sure you can carry 3 mags and have uber firepower. Why not a G26 with G18 mags? Hell why not a m11 or tec nine?

Reality is you should be shooting to escape not shooting for an extended exchange of gunfire. I read somwhere that the average number of shots fired by sombody defending themselves was 2. I could go one but wont...

Simple - Meth heads in my part of the world tend to not go down with one or two shots; this info from Clackamas County Sheriff officers. They also tend to congregate in large groups of three or more. Thus the need for sufficient capacity (what every that magic number is). I do agree on the need to shoot to escape but more so my mindset is to shoot to survive. BTW - I only carry one extra mag. To further the point, I do not see the practicality in carrying an 18 round magazine as you mentioned. First that would require switching to 9mm and I will not do that. Second, it seems to me the G18 mags would not conceal well. The G23 with its 13+1 capacity conceals very well. Ballistically speaking the .40 SW is a very capable round.  In addition to the proven reliability of the Glock platform I am comfortable with my choice.

[sigh]
Pointless to continue. You have your thought(wrong), I mine(right).
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From an arti on point shooting....

Remember these are also LEO shootings in which case they are intentionally going into bad juju areas.

I don't know where the requirement for high capacity mags came from. Not from serious gun studies as far as I know.

One of the findings of the study of 6000 police combat cases by the NYPD that the average number of shots fired by individual officers in an armed confrontation was between two and three rounds. And that the two to three rounds fired per incident remained constant over the ten years covered by the initial SOP 9 report. It also substantiated an earlier study by the L.A.P.D. (1967) which found that 2.6 rounds per encounter were discharged.

I agree that 10 is a good number. That is why my carry gun has 8 rounder in it backed up by 2 tens!

what was the date of that study?  

I was reading that the round count for NYPD was 5.something for years.  Then it went through the roof on the SOP-9 cards when they went from revolvers to autos with 15 17 round capacity... then the number went to 12.something average.  There was quite a bit of consternation about why cops were shooting so much until some genius connected the dots.    Those are average...  so when you are looking at an agency the size of NYPD, in order to get those high numbers there were a lot of guys using all of the bullets they have.  The gist of it was you will use every bullet you can to stop the fight...

Quoted:
Meth head meet 230gr JHP.      

I've heard too many reports of 40 hits that dont seem to do as well as they should.   Breaking bone favors alot of momentum.    I lean towards heavier is better.   Hell if the .50GI was a common round/pistol I'd carry that.   As long as you dont significantly increase recoil I'll always take the bigger cartridge.    Capacity is of far less importance as long as there's enough to get the job done in the first place.   I'd feel as comfortable with a 45acp revolver as an autoloader if I could shoot it as well.

BAH!  pistol is a pistol is a pistol...  

I decided years ago that .05 inches of wound channel isn't going to mean anything between 9mm and .45.   But I carry a .45 anyway.  

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How come he’s not in the forum yet?

I think he doesn't do forums.  

He posted over on glocktalk to clear something up one time.

If you have the money and inclination, get down there to take some classes.  Clint is a great instructor.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The gist of it was you will use every bullet you can to stop the fight...

Makes sense. I still dont buy into needing high capacity in a CCW. But, thats just my warped sense of thinking!

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:23:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes sense. I still dont buy into needing high capacity in a CCW. But, thats just my warped sense of thinking!

a guy I know was taking a close range gun fighting class and said he was seriously re-considering carrying his Kimber - thought he might go back to the Glock.  he came to this conclusion trying to shoot it out with 2 attackers armed with knives in the 3-5 ft range.   He came to the conclusion that 8 shots (not hits) wasn't enough to get the job done...  unable/difficult to re-load while getting stabbed.

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 11:08:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

a guy I know was taking a close range gun fighting class and said he was seriously re-considering carrying his Kimber - thought he might go back to the Glock.  he came to this conclusion trying to shoot it out with 2 attackers armed with knives in the 3-5 ft range.   He came to the conclusion that 8 shots (not hits) wasn't enough to get the job done...  unable/difficult to re-load while getting stabbed.

If your pistol runs dry in that close of an engagement it will become an impact weapon.  

I've done alot of close quarters drills and engaging 2 or more targets is not difficult if practiced.   How many do practice close-in drills on a regular basis?  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#13]
If you don't know how to shoot from retention, you should learn.

How many practice shooting laterally from a seated position?

My friend is a professional and he trains a lot so I'm sure he shoots at contact - 3 yards quite a bit.  But his conclusion was that practicing close in drills does not prepare a person for the targets to move around the 360 deg shooting range of life and try to stab him.  

Kind of like the first time you use SIM-guns...  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and a Sig Mosquito at Flyin' Clouds. Santa was good to me this year.

You bastard!  You bought my mosquito!!!!!!!  I was hoping that it would stick around for a few more days

Oh well, that's one I can order as well.  Nice pistol that sig is, hope you like it!
Oh, BTW, that's where I got my kimber.  Thats 6 guns from them this year and 3 in the last week!

If this rain lets up some, I will probably take the kids out to shoot it, this weekend. Should be a fun one for them (and me). Now, I just need to get a couple extra mags for it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
If this rain lets up some, I will probably take the kids out to shoot it, this weekend. Should be a fun one for them (and me). Now, I just need to get a couple extra mags for it.

Ha, that would be nice, this is unreal.

Hope ya have fun with it, that's a damn nice pistol!

Hope you can make it up on the 21st as well, that is if we decide where it is gonna be held at

I won't really know if the 21st is free, until it gets here. I'm just day to day, for awhile. Once things are settled down, I should know what free time I will have.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 2:35:39 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

[sigh]
Pointless to continue. You have your thought(wrong), I mine(right).

I agree, you're right...based on the facts presented I'm shit canning the high cap (standard) mags and going back to 9-10 rounders in my G22, 23, 27..Makes sense that way

ETA: My latest post was a cheep shot at sarcasm. I'll leave it posted but it lacks merit to support my orginal statement.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

ETA: My latest post was a cheep shot at sarcasm. I'll leave it posted but it lacks merit to support my orginal statement.

There is always a G36 SINGLE STACK
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Well, shot it today, wish I had better conditions to do it in.  First go out was just more of a load it and make sure it went bang thing, crappy weather.

Came home, got an issue with my new upper narrowed down, went back out.  Although not off of a bench, I could keep 8 in about a 5" circle off hand at 25yds, so I'm pretty happy with it.  

Oh, out of the 200rds thru it today, never had an issue with the devilish external extractor

Report back when you've got 2000 through it

My cheap MIM infested Springer GI is up over 2K now without a hiccup.    

I've got to shoot it more.   I'll load up 500LSWCs and see if it'll digest them all in one sitting.   For those who dont shoot alot of cast bullets that's a big issue because the waxy bullet lube gets all over the place and gets pretty thick and nasty.

Anybody know why my text looks different?????
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top