User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I am a go for the 19th if need be.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 3:32:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What if the training date was moved to the 19th? Would more of you guys be able to make it?

I'd probably be able to make it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to work out attending as well. thevibe, check your messages.
Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:30:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Got you down Joker1!
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 8:14:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I almost forgot...are there any places where we can get lunch??
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Damm the good luck. My mother just sold her house. I will have to move her that weekend.  Damm I was looking forward to this. Keep me in mind and please let me know when you guys are getting together again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 6:09:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Damm the good luck. My mother just sold her house. I will have to move her that weekend.  Damm I was looking forward to this. Keep me in mind and please let me know when you guys are getting together again.

Congrats on the house!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Has the date been finalized?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey guys,

I have been a long time member but rarely post.  This training session has gotten my interest up.  I think it is a great idea.  Much better than just standing at the range burning up ammo.   I live in Lexington, have trained at a few schools around the southeast, and have been looking for a group of like minded individuals that are interested in training.  

What day did you decide to have the training session, the 12th or the 19th?

I have a few suggestions that you may want to consider.
•Have a safety brief before the shooting starts.  I recognize most know the four safety rules but it never hurts to refresh these in everyone’s mind.
•Have a trauma kit available just in case.
•Confirm who has had medical training, first aid, etc., and assign them duties if the worst happens.
•Confirm the location of and provide directions to the closest emergency room and designate at least two vehicles to transport any seriously injuries.
•And depending upon the number of shooters that attend, someone probably needs to assume the duties of a range officer.

Take care,
Stewart
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm on for this weekend! PM coming.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I have been a long time member but rarely post.  This training session has gotten my interest up.  I think it is a great idea.  Much better than just standing at the range burning up ammo.   I live in Lexington, have trained at a few schools around the southeast, and have been looking for a group of like minded individuals that are interested in training.  

•Have a safety brief before the shooting starts.  I recognize most know the four safety rules but it never hurts to refresh these in everyone’s mind.
•Confirm who has had medical training, first aid, etc., and assign them duties if the worst happens.
•Confirm the location of and provide directions to the closest emergency room and designate at least two vehicles to transport any seriously injuries.
•And depending upon the number of shooters that attend, someone probably needs to assume the duties of a range officer.

Take care,
Stewart

You make very good points, I already have several print outs of several safety rules. As well, a safety briefing will take place before any shooting. The instructors will do the ROing.

Kyfortean is a certified EMT, so we got that covered. The nearest hospital is 15 minutes away, worse comes to worse, Kyfortean and I will drive.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Take care,
Stewart

You make very good points, I already have several print outs of several safety rules. As well, a safety briefing will take place before any shooting. The instructors will do the ROing.

Kyfortean is a certified EMT, so we got that covered. The nearest hospital is 15 minutes away, worse comes to worse, Kyfortean and I will drive.

I was just gonna pop in and say I am in EMT but I see that has bee covered.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I almost forgot...are there any places where we can get lunch??

Options on lunch are to head back into Maysville, maybe Tollesboro (about the same travel time wise).  Lots more food options in Maysville.  

Of course bringing food with us is a valid option well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Take care,
Stewart

It looks like you have things covered.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Been awhile since I have been back in that AO. As far as lunch goes if I remember right as you turn off the main road on to Cabin Creek/Springdale Rd there is alittle mom and pop/gas station called A&A they use to serve old school sandwitches,chips,and cold pop. Not sure if it is still there. Tolleboro is just up the road and I think they got a couple of fast food places there. Damm I was looking forward to this but family first. Like I said let me know when the next one is and an AAR would be great too.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been awhile since I have been back in that AO. As far as lunch goes if I remember right as you turn off the main road on to Cabin Creek/Springdale Rd there is alittle mom and pop/gas station called A&A they use to serve old school sandwitches,chips,and cold pop. Not sure if it is still there. Tolleboro is just up the road and I think they got a couple of fast food places there. Damm I was looking forward to this but family first. Like I said let me know when the next one is and an AAR would be great too.

I had forgotten about the A&A.  They are still there and last time I was in there they still served deli sandwiches, burgers, etc.  Tollesboro has a pizza place, a BBQ place that is good but a bit more out of the way, and maybe a diner.  I say maybe on the diner because it frequently closes and changes hands, it makes money but a lot of people find the amount of work involved too much.  Being an area with a lot of farmers the breakfast crowd starts well before sunrise so staying open to cover the dinner hour as well puts your hours of daily operation over 12 not counting your morning prep and closing clean up and bookkeeping time.

But by the time you drive to Tollesboro you could have driven to Maysville.  It would depend on what everyone wants to eat really.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 8:53:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about using the cardboard USPSA targets that can be pasted when needed.  The hold up alot better than the paper ones.

Good idea! But I currently don't have any :(

If any body does...please bring some! We can all can chip in money for them

These guys are located in George townand have packages of 50 USPSA targets for 32.00 or 100 packs for 50.  They also sell pasters.  Maybe someone in the area or passing through could pick some up.  They are also a bit easier to throw together stands for since they are rigid.  I would certainly be down to throw in on them.  I would even be willing to buy some of the left overs if whoever picked them up sis not want them all.

I picked the up B-21s since I need them for CCDW classes and I can use them for personal targets as well.  Plus they were cheap buying them 500 at a time.

I also need to pick up some cheap tarps or maybe some heavy plastic sheeting.  Dad asked that we try to minimize lost brass since lots of the space at the farm is used to bail hay.  I figured I could throw down the tarps to make it easier to collect brass for this purpose.  If any body has any spare tarps they would not mind to bring let me know so I don't buy as many.

I'm in Georgetown and will grab a 100 pack.

Nice, I'll pay for some!

Targets and pasters secured.  

Nice folks at Shooters.

Are we set for stands?
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
O
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about using the cardboard USPSA targets that can be pasted when needed.  The hold up alot better than the paper ones.

Good idea! But I currently don't have any :(

If any body does...please bring some! We can all can chip in money for them

These guys are located in George townand have packages of 50 USPSA targets for 32.00 or 100 packs for 50.  They also sell pasters.  Maybe someone in the area or passing through could pick some up.  They are also a bit easier to throw together stands for since they are rigid.  I would certainly be down to throw in on them.  I would even be willing to buy some of the left overs if whoever picked them up sis not want them all.

I picked the up B-21s since I need them for CCDW classes and I can use them for personal targets as well.  Plus they were cheap buying them 500 at a time.

I also need to pick up some cheap tarps or maybe some heavy plastic sheeting.  Dad asked that we try to minimize lost brass since lots of the space at the farm is used to bail hay.  I figured I could throw down the tarps to make it easier to collect brass for this purpose.  If any body has any spare tarps they would not mind to bring let me know so I don't buy as many.

I'm in Georgetown and will grab a 100 pack.

Nice, I'll pay for some!

Targets and pasters secured.  

Nice folks at Shooters.

Are we set for stands?

We've got tabacco sticks we were going to use to rig up as stands. If anyone has any, feel free to bring em! As well im bringing some fold out tables to use asbarricades
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#20]
I may grab some other stuff to throw together some stands when I make my run to Lowes to buy tarps to lay down.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Id love to come out and bring this set up just to piss off who ever is shooting next to me, but work prevails

Link Posted: 3/9/2011 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Id love to come out and bring this set up just to piss off who ever is shooting next to me, but work prevails

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_1044.jpg

Sweet!  Hopefully you can bring that up next time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 3:55:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a few stands I'll bring. Is any one from the Greater Cincinnati area? I'll have to leave a little earlier than I'ld like and would want to leave some of my gear behind if I can get it delivered at least part way home. So....who's closest to Florence?
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Not sure, looks like most of the guys are coming up from the Lexington area.  If we have to maybe I could arrange to meet you in the Florence area on a Sunday or something.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Naw. I wouldn't want you to make a special trip. I'm still working on the van (Unsuccessfully) so large amounts of steel targets aren't looking likely. I'm just bringing about 8 pvc target stands, sticks, shoot timer and a couple of steel targets if I can fit them in my tactical Camry.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Just a minor note. Don't go by the Google maps location for the Speedway station. It shows it about half a mile up the road from the intersection.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Alrighty gentlemen! Tomorrow is the day. Remember, it'll be swampy so wear your rain gear in case!

We're all meeting at the Speedway in Maysville and LEAVING from there at 8:30am.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just a minor note. Don't go by the Google maps location for the Speedway station. It shows it about half a mile up the road from the intersection.

Thanks for the heads up on that.  Internet directions and GPS devices can be spotty here.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alrighty gentlemen! Tomorrow is the day. Remember, it'll be swampy so wear your rain gear in case!

We're all meeting at the Speedway in Maysville and LEAVING from there at 8:30am.

Current forecast is for it to be partly sunny and and about 60 tomorrow.  It will however be VERY muddy in large parts of the farm so be sure to wear footwear you don't mind to get muddy.  If you have boots that are least partially water proof they would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Alright, I'm loading up now. I pieced together 9 target stands and am in the process of cramming some steel targets in the Camry. We should be able to vary set ups quite a bit.

Bring some leather gloves to help lug and set up targets. I've lugged them enough tonite (can't pull the car around back due to mud). Tomorrow I'm supervising!

Will someone grab a couple rolls of 3/4" masking tape to paste up targets? That'll help us keep things moving.

I would bring at least double the amount of pistol ammo. Shootin' steel is addictive and you can burn it up fast. Also bring .22 conversions for ARs if you got 'em. The steels not rated for rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Alright, I'm loading up now. I pieced together 9 target stands and am in the process of cramming some steel targets in the Camry. We should be able to vary set ups quite a bit.

Bring some leather gloves to help lug and set up targets. I've lugged them enough tonite (can't pull the car around back due to mud). Tomorrow I'm supervising!

Will someone grab a couple rolls of 3/4" masking tape to paste up targets? That'll help us keep things moving.

I would bring at least double the amount of pistol ammo. Shootin' steel is addictive and you can burn it up fast. Also bring .22 conversions for ARs if you got 'em. The steels not rated for rifle.

Awesome news!
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:12:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Damm wish I didn't have to do the family thing. You guys are going to have a blast. Keep me in mind for the next one. Hey someone do an AAR for us.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:30:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:33:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks kyfortean and Dad for hosting this! Thanks theVibe for getting it together and solving some mysteries of the carbine.

AAR, briefly: It was muddy, it was windy.  Paper targets were blowing over and apart. Cardboard held up better. We sighted in ARs and got some trigger time with those. Worked on proper form followed by malfunction drills.  It got challenging when one at a time we would step to the line and had 3 F'ed up rifles waiting for us. We had to get 2 shots on target with each rifle after clearing an assortment of jams.

After a quick lunch we moved to pistol where we could use steel targets. I had set up a 100 yard torso target up when we were shooting rifle. I clanged it a few times with the GLOCK (I think I surprised a few people that had never tried at that range). Then it was on. We spent the next 45 iinutes with every one sucessfully connecting! Even Frinko was connecting with his Makarov.
We worked on engaging multiple targets at close medium and longer ranges while on the timer. Then integrated mag changes into the drill.
Next we had an engagement with a charging Pitbull. Everyone was able to connect on that.
Ran some Tueller drills with knife avoidance through movement.
Then everyone kinda did their own thing, clanging steel at their leisure with pistol or AR .22 conversion.
Getting out was fun as the river had rose and blocked our egress. Nothing a little 1/2 hour detour couldn't fix.

eddited for speling
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#35]
I am glad everyone had a great time.  I know I enjoyed it.

Future events should be even better.  We have had a lot of rain up here which left the place we shooting in very swampy.  We are also going through some flooding right now and we had to take a different route out due to rising water.  Everything should be dry next time which will make the experience much more pleasant.

If I get the time to do so I will try and come up with a better system of target mounting in the wind.  The wind is by know means always that strong but when it kicks up light target stands have a hard time staying up.

I don't think we got a lot of pictures but hopefully Thevibe will get what we got posted up soon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:41:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Sounds like a great time
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#37]
I certainly had a blast! Learned a lot, including a number of things I thought I had pretty much down pat, but realized could use some very serious improvement. Some changes on the AK taken care of already, and I do believe I'll be bringing something else entirely pistol wise next time.

The detour worked out fine for me, actually. Might even have been a quicker route than coming in. Beautiful scenery too.

Thanks to all for great day!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I certainly had a blast! Learned a lot, including a number of things I thought I had pretty much down pat, but realized could use some very serious improvement. Some changes on the AK taken care of already, and I do believe I'll be bringing something else entirely different pistol wise next time.

The detour worked out fine for me, actually. Might even have been a quicker route than coming in. Beautiful scenery too.

Thanks to all for great day!

Yeah, coming in from Morehead the detour was the way to go.  As more people know how to find the farm things will be simpler on the organizational side.  Rather than having everyone drive into Maysville to meet folks take more direct routes.  The Speedway just makes a great meeting spot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:49:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Next time around let me know a little ahead of time and ill be glad to come out. Not on here near as much as I use to be

Oh and we should do night training sometime. I know some of you guys gotta have some NV

My 7.5 got a face lift as well
And a PVS-14 unit is on its way
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 9:17:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Next time around let me know a little ahead of time and ill be glad to come out. Not on here near as much as I use to be

Oh and we should do night training sometime. I know some of you guys gotta have some NV

My 7.5 got a face lift as well
And a PVS-14 unit is on its way
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_1049.jpg

D@mn chase that thing has come a long way since the first time I saw it. Looks great man.
Link Posted: 3/24/2011 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Already guys! Let's get another training session started. This time, it'll be in Mid-May. By then we should have a good number of people coming! We will know what to expect now that we have shot.

And the pics...well...I gotta dig through my computer to find them

So who's in? I will re-write the OP.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#42]
I am down to do it again, I had a great time.  Hopefully the weather will be a lot less wet this time.
Link Posted: 3/25/2011 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#43]
I am interested, mainly because it seems like a student/student situation and not a student/instructor one (not that Im entirely against that either)

My name is Ryan, I have never attended a formal combat class or school. I have read/watched a lot on the subject, done a lot of dry and live fire with partners and alone and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night

I can get lots of pallet sized pieces of cardboard for targets.
Link Posted: 3/26/2011 6:26:15 AM EDT
[#44]
Definitely interested. When a date is posted I will know if I can commit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#45]
@thevibe

No hunting to worry about in May.
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 4:38:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely interested. When a date is posted I will know if I can commit.

whats up TGmoore!!

haven't seen you in a while, hopefully we can meet up this next shoot

Sounds good I have a new battlecomp on my AR that needs to be run hard. I will be at Knob Creek next month. Most likely Saturday.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#48]
I am GTG for Mid May. Let me know.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Well shit, all this went down in my home town and I missed it. Damn you Unchle Sam.

My folks still live there and Im not far off, gonna make it a point if at all possible to make it next go arround.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Another local shooter would be great.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top