Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:41:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about any shops in agreement here?

even if a shop were to be in agreement, it doesnt mean that they will transfer stuff

Even then, they still need to get authorization from DESPP. That's going to take more than an OLR analysis saying the law is "unclear" on the issue.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

even if a shop were to be in agreement, it doesnt mean that they will transfer stuff

Even then, they still need to get authorization from DESPP. That's going to take more than an OLR analysis saying the law is "unclear" on the issue.

DESPP doesnt ask what type of long gun, you give your info, get auth#, and go on your way..........

with that said, not many FFLs are willing to to put their lively hood on the line
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DESPP doesnt ask what type of long gun, you give your info, get auth#, and go on your way..........

with that said, not many FFLs are willing to to put their lively hood on the line

I put a call into one the other day that said they had been watching the internet chatter, and directly asked the state. Sounded like they were expecting a definitive answer, perhaps by the end of the week...

Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:05:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

'13er,

I know about prebans.. We all do. But my interpretation is that a bushy (example) preban can't transfer because it's banned by name. And a preban not banned by name with a regular upper would fall into the copies category, which are now banned.

Can you expand on the point you are trying to make?

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

53-202m specifically refers to section 3 and 4 of revision 1958, the laws in place on Jan 1 2013, notwithstanding ANY other statute (meaning all other statutes old and new do not apply). This means only the OLD list of names applies, the new named list does NOT apply. any pre-ban that is not named in the OLD laws list is transferable and exempt from registration.

notice what the very beginning of rev. 1958 (jan 1 2013 law) 53-202a section 3 states: "(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) [OF THE REV 1958 JAN 1 2013 LAW] of this subsection that meets the following criteria:"
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

'13er,

I know about prebans.. We all do. But my interpretation is that a bushy (example) preban can't transfer because it's banned by name. And a preban not banned by name with a regular upper would fall into the copies category, which are now banned.

Can you expand on the point you are trying to make?

Sec. 11. Section 53-202m of the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective from passage):

Notwithstanding any provision of the general statutes, sections 53-202a to 53-202l, inclusive, as amended by this act, shall not be construed to limit the transfer or require the registration of an assault weapon as defined in subdivision (3) or (4) of subsection (a) of section 53-202a of the general statutes, revision of 1958, revised to January 1, 2013, provided such firearm was legally manufactured prior to September 13, 1994.

53-202m specifically refers to section 3 and 4 of revision 1958, the laws in place on Jan 1 2013, notwithstanding ANY other statute (meaning all other statutes old and new do not apply). This means only the OLD list of names applies, the new named list does NOT apply. any pre-ban that is not named in the OLD laws list is transferable and exempt from registration.

notice what the very beginning of rev. 1958 (jan 1 2013 law) 53-202a section 3 states: "(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) [OF THE REV 1958 JAN 1 2013 LAW] of this subsection that meets the following criteria:"

excellent.   thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I put a call into one the other day that said they had been watching the internet chatter, and directly asked the state. Sounded like they were expecting a definitive answer, perhaps by the end of the week...

I wonder if DESPP watching internet chatter is any indication of the level of enforcement we can expect.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 9:33:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i think it might be worth it to sell my preban to finace the move out of CT...

My thoughts exactly...
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any news on this?

Link Posted: 7/16/2013 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any news on this?

Talked with them on Monday, they said they had not heard back yet. I was going to check back the end of the week to see what's what. If pre-bans are good to go, prices are going to climb quick!

Link Posted: 7/17/2013 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any news on this?

Talked with them on Monday, they said they had not heard back yet. I was going to check back the end of the week to see what's what. If pre-bans are good to go, prices are going to climb quick!

Who is "them" and who do "they" need to hear back from? No matter what "they" say, or what they "hear", the words in the pre-ban exclusion are clear...and must exist or there would have been an ex-post facto issue with the new statue as explained many moons ago.
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any news on this?

Who is "them" and who do "they" need to hear back from? No matter what "they" say, or what they "hear", the words in the pre-ban exclusion are clear...and must exist or there would have been an ex-post facto issue with the new statue as explained many moons ago.

Them/they is referring to my local gun shop. They called the state specifically requesting approval on transferring the Pre-94 bans. They are obviously waiting to hear back before they start issuing people more rifles and end up losing their license... or worse. And as soon as they do hear back, i imagine they will be the only shop transferring, for at least a few days, before rumors and facts spread far enough. In the mean time, i will gladly snatch up anything at reasonable prices BEFORE they skyrocket...
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#12]
So after reading all this above and all the "pre-bans" not having to be registered, is it safe to assume the following?

Would any handgun that is pre-1994 with threaded barrel need to be registered? Or an evil semi-auto shotgun that is pre 1994 that has an evil pistol grip and more then 5 shot shot mag tube? Assuming the above are NOT listed on the old 1993 AW ban?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 12:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They would still be considered assault weapons but 53-202m would apply in regards to transfer & registration requirements.
View Quote

So they would fall into the same category as pre-ban rifles and you could transfer them freely and not have to register them, correct?
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm an interested CASH buyer in CT. IF this is the case and people are selling, lemme know.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#16]
wow, pre-ban (94) lowers were selling for a premium already, I wonder what the prices will be now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My thoughts exactly...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i think it might be worth it to sell my preban to finace the move out of CT...

My thoughts exactly...

I sold 10 prebans and put it all down on a condo out of state.  

DO IT.  

Link Posted: 7/18/2013 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Them/they is referring to my local gun shop. They called the state specifically requesting approval on transferring the Pre-94 bans. They are obviously waiting to hear back before they start issuing people more rifles and end up losing their license... or worse. And as soon as they do hear back, i imagine they will be the only shop transferring, for at least a few days, before rumors and facts spread far enough. In the mean time, i will gladly snatch up anything at reasonable prices BEFORE they skyrocket...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any news on this?

They should call their attorney, the statue gives them approval, not the "state"...it's their attorney who should be giving them business/legal advice regarding meeting the statues...if the DPS gets pressure from certain people, what's to stop them from giving erroneous, incorrect or (illegal) guidance?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 8:50:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They should call their attorney, the statue gives them approval, not the "state"...it's their attorney who should be giving them business/legal advice regarding meeting the statues...if the DPS gets pressure from certain people, what's to stop them from giving erroneous, incorrect or (illegal) guidance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any news on this?

Ok... so still have not heard one way or the other on my place. Anyone know of any shops willing to accept and process the transfers? I'm ready to go shopping...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top