Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you, gentlemen, for answering my questions honestly.

I have but one request to make...

Tell us why you locked it.  If those reasons had been stated on the bottom of the post when it was locked, I believe that this whole 'insurrection' could have been averted.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh, and where the heck is Treetop?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:11:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:16 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1GUNRUNNER since we are splitting up the AZ/NM I nominate myself to be the new AZ Hometown Mod!!!!

All <---(commonfolk) to <--(a320az)..... Muahahahahahaha

Can I be your master at arms?

Everyone's jaw drops as it is now when I tell them I'm innocent_bystander. Not sure why, I'm really a nice guy?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid TREETOP has little free time since he got a full-time job last year.

We need to teach him how to find full-time jobs with unrestricted internet access....
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]

We need to teach him how to find full-time jobs with unrestricted internet access....

<<<Gettin paid to spread hate and discontent!
W00T!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The fact that somebody else mentioned that he knew someone that might want to sell it is irrelevent since that was not what the thread was about.

Because somebody got all power mad and locked the thread, the original poster never got an answer to his question.

You see, in your very own post you highlight (in red above...red is my doing) the offense to the CoC. Why are you angry about a situation that was not, in any way, inflammatory? Did it involve you? No. Did the original poster make contact, via email as per the request of the "power mad", with a party willing to sell a bowflex? Yes. Again, how does this involve you to the extent you get all bunched up over it? I really don't know.

My Personal involvement is that the locking was mishandled, it gave the impression that the original poster had done something wrong. This was a case where nobody was being hurt, it was not eating up a bunch of bandwidth, and it could have been moderated in 2 different ways, and the way that was chosen now effects one of the places I enjoy here.

1.) Ignore it, it's causing ZERO problems, and it may or may not be a violation of the COC. Just because somebody posted that they knew somebody that had one does not mean that the original question in the thread does not still need to be answered.

2.) In Blunt language with no explanation tell the participants to "Take it to Email", then lock the thread with no explanation.

One of these casue "ZERO" problems for the forum, the other seems heavy handed.

Yet in a forum where it is a KNOWN FACT that moderation, especially by outsiders, is resented, the heavy handed option was chosen, that is like smacking a wasps nest with a stick and then wondering why you got stung.

In reality I have no problem with the thread being locked, or the thread about pit bulls, what I do have a problem with is a moderator choosing behave in a way that will definatly cause problems, and then starting a thread using defamatory language (which just makes the problem worse) stating that if you people act like we know you will, you will be punished.

This never had to happen, and while the AZHTF, and maybe all the HTF's may be the ones punished, this problem today was caused by an out of state moderator, and the general anti-mod atmosphere in this forum was also cause by heavy handed moderation by an out of state moderator.

If this forum is closed, it will be the direct result of out of state moderators sticking their nose into our business.

Out of all the trouble on this subject, in this forum, this is the only time I have stuck myself into the battle. I am not one of the so-called "Bad-Apples" that you guys talk about, I am finally just fed up with it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Alright with a show of hands here(especially the ones involved after the fact in the mess) who did not know that we don't sell, make deals, trade, etc. in The Hometown Forums.

And with my "Take it to Email" comment (from the desenters now) thought that I meant anything other than just that?

Here's the issue:

It wasn't a WTB add.  Somebody REPLIED to it as such, but that wasn't the purpose of the question.  He was looking for a dealer.  No different than if someone asked where to find MRE's local.  (Oh, wait, someone did, just last week - and it wasn't locked)

If there was an issue with it, the correct resposes could have been:

-Deleted the WTS comment, and replaced it with '1GR: Sales not allowed in HT forum'
-Just delete the WTS comment, and IM the poster.

I'm sure there are others.  But what you did is lock the original posters comment, which only serves to hurt him, and not the person who actually has the COC violation.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#18]
This, and I dare say 99% of the other problems that we've had between Mod/Staff and the AZ Crew, could have easily been handled with a little more effective communication.

When the tonk issue came about, it was completely blown out of proportion. Ed asked that tonk not be used in a derogatory manner. Very few seem to have understood it that way. Just recently I had one of my posts edited because it was thought that tonk was a banned word. After a little clarification, (and confirmation w/ Ed) there was understanding. Case closed.

It would seem that there should be an aptitude test for being granted the "keys to the kingdom". If advanced reading comprehention and writing skills were required, perhaps some of the miscommunication and subsequent rebellion could be avoided.

In communication, perception is everything.

ETA: This is not directed as a slam on anyone. (Spelled out to avoid miscommunication)
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yet in a forum where it is a KNOWN FACT that moderation, especially by outsiders, is resented...

Well I'm here, as a matter of fact I came with the place, Original Equipment if you like, and I ain't leaving.

Go back and read my first post to the thread.

I and or the moderators are not going to be berrated each and every time something is done in here be it handled or mis-handled.  The place will go on with or without some of you, I hope with everyone but, it will go on.

This whole Hometown was my idea and I am not going to let it go down in flames.

This is the crux of the problem.  This whole 'insurrection' thing started because something was MIS-HANDLED.  Had Garryowen not been locked for doing nothing, we probably wouldn't be in the situation that we are now.  But now that that mistake has been made, it's important to carefully explain why everythings happening, because the reputation of staff was 'stained' in that incident.  Any further 'mis-handling' is just going to reignite the problem.

My solution to all this:  If there's a problem, IM the forum moderators with it.  Let them deal with it, because they have far more personal knowledge of the people in this forum than you could ever be expected to, and they can better predict what fallout their actions may cause.  Additionally, their reputation hasn't been 'stained' by and 'mis-handling'.

And if they don't have enough time to deal with it and need help from staff, then we should get a third mod.  (Note I say third, I think both Wiggy and Tree do a great job)
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:49:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
This, and I dare say 99% of the other problems that we've had between Mod/Staff and the AZ Crew, could have easily been handled with a little more effective communication.

When the tonk issue came about, it was completely blown out of proportion. Ed asked that tonk not be used in a derogatory manner. Very few seem to have understood it that way. Just recently I had one of my posts edited because it was thought that tonk was a banned word. After a little clarification, (and confirmation w/ Ed) there was understanding. Case closed.

It would seem that there should be an aptitude test for being granted the "keys to the kingdom". If advanced reading comprehention and writing skills were required, perhaps some of the miscommunication and subsequent rebellion could be avoided.

In communication, perception is everything.

ETA: This is not directed as a slam on anyone. (Spelled out to avoid miscommunication)

Communication - spelled out communication - is tremendously important in electronic communications.  You can't easily get 'tone' or 'body language' or any of the subliminal messages that are so easy in person or even in handwriting.  It's very impersonal, and that hurts the 'message' of what people try to say.  

Look how long it took to get to the bottom of 'why' the initial posts were locked.  What has that cost us?  How many pages, how many locks, and how many bans because the original message was misunderstood?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:55:00 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright with a show of hands here(especially the ones involved after the fact in the mess) who did not know that we don't sell, make deals, trade, etc. in The Hometown Forums.

And with my "Take it to Email" comment (from the desenters now) thought that I meant anything other than just that?

Here's the issue:

It wasn't a WTB add.  Somebody REPLIED to it as such, but that wasn't the purpose of the question.  He was looking for a dealer.  No different than if someone asked where to find MRE's local.  (Oh, wait, someone did, just last week - and it wasn't locked)

If there was an issue with it, the correct resposes could have been:

-Deleted the WTS comment, and replaced it with '1GR: Sales not allowed in HT forum'
-Just delete the WTS comment, and IM the poster.

I'm sure there are others.  But what you did is lock the original posters comment, which only serves to hurt him, and not the person who actually has the COC violation.

Exactly, the thread wasn't a violation and really the post wasn't either.
It wasn't a big deal untill it was made into one on both sides.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And if they don't have enough time to deal with it and need help from staff, then we should get a third mod.  (Note I say third, I think both Wiggy and Tree do a great job)

Note if you guys would quit pushing the envelope at every turn, it would be a non issue as it is in all the other forums.

[busting chops] Hey, we're the only thing that stands between all of those other forums the Kaliban Liberals. How about a little respect for those of us "living on the edge".[\busting chops]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am afraid TREETOP has little free time since he got a full-time job last year.

On the explanation thing: True,but we were surrounded by AZligators and we  forgot to drain the swamp

Maybe we need to get a part time mod in here to take up the slack. I would do it as I'm in here a lot now that I'm back and used to run my own gun board in the past.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#28]
MR Avila,

I understand what you are saying and agree, I should have said "seen as outsiders by some"
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Lets drop this guys.This is a place for everyone to be friends,not create arguments.

I actually think we are moving beyond 'arguements' and into 'debates'.  

And debates are good things, not bad things.  Everyone learns, and more importantly everyone learns about everyone else.  That prevents these types of arguements from happening in the first place - it's a good thing all around.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
And possibly this forums.

The AZ Forum has became an embarrassment for me and the Hometown Community and it will end here today.  When I went to GB about the idea of a Hometown he was reluctant at first but, after much prodding he agreed if I agreed to run it.  For over 2 years it has really gone on without a hitch until recently.  I understand why some of you are pissed off because of previous actions that have taken place in here but, you can't mount a mutiny everytime something doesn't go your way.

So I will now have GB seperate AZ and NM from each other into their own forums.  If AZ continues to be a pissing fest like it has in the past, I will just ask GB to do away with it.

Before you are ready to spout off about this, think about how many other forums are in this community and the fact that none has had even 1% of the problems we have had in here.

I will be out for most of the day but, I sincerely hope things are better when I return.

None of the rest are half as much fun, half as interesting or generate half as much real world shooting and cameradery as this one.   This isn't the worst Hometown Forum, it's the best one.  It's too bad you guys don't see that.

A lot of us in Arizona are idiots.  Just let us enjoy our idiot forum, please.

One state blows you girls away!
Come by the Texas forum sometime.

Arizona & New Mexico

2059  Topics

27761   Replies

Texas

3280  Topics

39479   Replies

Yea, but if you take out the goat molesting and dallas cowboys topics we come out WAY ahead.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Arizona & New Mexico

2059  Topics

27761   Replies

Texas

3280  Topics

39479   Replies

"Must be Texans.  Lowest form of man there is."- Robert Duval
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Arizona & New Mexico

2059  Topics

27761   Replies

Texas

3280  Topics

39479   Replies

Hey, no fair, you're bigger.  

There are a handful of forums that are far more active than others, I think that both Texas and AZ qualify.  Besides, Texans are good people.  Except for that dang 30-06 thing.  You need to fix that.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I'd like to state an opinion here.

The AZ Hometown forum appear on the ACTIVE TOPICS board, which is read my a vast majority of Team Members as their primary logon board.

Many members here feel that if it piques our interest, we should be able to reply to any post on a Hometown forum, even if we do not live in that particular state.  ( I should point out that I am guilty of having  shat on the AZ Pit Bull threads, though I didn't mean to, but it happened, and I apologized)

Egro - just because you post it in the Hometown, doesn't mean that it's a "Members Only" board.

Not only is this the internet, this is ARFCOM, and as such, if you post it, they will come (from all over)

If you are set in telling members to stay out of "your" forum because we don't happen to reside there, I suggest that you start your own website.  Then you can turn into FA.com and self destruct on your own.

Just my .02
No flame intended
Sorry If I pissed you off
Too bad if I did
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yet in a forum where it is a KNOWN FACT that moderation, especially by outsiders, is resented, the heavy handed option was chosen, that is like smacking a wasps nest with a stick and then wondering why you got stung.

If  I were king, I'd utterly destroy the wasps nest, not just poke it with a stick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:32:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Problem as I see it is Mods/Staff don't own up to mistakes like they should.

TKB1 and Aimless eventully did.

To much of an "Oh well" attitude IMO.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:41:34 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Note if you guys would quit pushing the envelope at every turn, it would be a non issue as it is in all the other forums.

Such a seemingly simple concept yet so difficult for some to grasp.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If  I were king, I'd utterly destroy the wasps nest, not just poke it with a stick.

but you aren't lucky for the wasps I guess
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#41]
You guys (I'll refer to ya'll collectively as "Site Management") seriously need to grow a pair and enforce the CoC as it stands, not "threaten to enforce it" which gives cause for the entire community to focus on arguments between Staff's "final (no really this time, I mean it) warnings" and those who you claim are violating CoC.

We see what's going on and you know us, we'll comment on it. Repercussions will likely end up throughout the site, and yet you'll lock all of them even though not one is a CoC violation, rather than locking those who you claim light the fuse.

The only thing wrong with this thread is that the fact that that it's here in the first place, and that's a sorry state of affairs for the site, in general.

Choose one of the following if you think this one's out of line too.

This should have been handled via IM.
Let the AZ guys fight their own fight.

Right now, site staff's trying to save face, at least that's what it looks like. If ya'll are going to enforce the CoC, then enforce it, don't do the dog and pony show beforehand. You would all have more respect from us as a whole if you just locked someone's account and said "I don't like him cause he's an asshole-that's why I locked him." Even if you were wrong, it would still show that you have the ability to make a fricking decision.

To paraphrase your own words, "it's gone too far." Is it really so hard to understand and abide by your own rules?

AZ guys...  Looks like ya'll are being singled out for no good reason.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey look....it's Boomer !!
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:03:09 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey look....it's Boomer !!

Yeah, imagine my surprise at seeing AZHTF problems spilling over into the WAHTF. Again. And you guys actually wonder why you're getting extra special atention.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#44]
When they AZ forum gets shut down are we moving to the Rocky Mountain States forum?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:13:54 PM EDT
[#45]

Just remember guys. A lot of you have met and made good friends because of this site.
A lot more good things here about the site than bad.

Very true legs.
Ya know, tempers are up, things are getting said that can't be taken back, and folks in general are getting a little more angry than this deserves.
I like a good fight as much as the next guy, but how about we take a break before someone says or does something way over the line, and causes a real problem?
This may be the internet, but it doesn't mean the words you type have no weight.
We can all stand together and work this out, or just fall apart.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:22:19 PM EDT
[#46]
What GS808 said
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Lets drop this guys.

And what exactly does that solve?

As far as I can tell the last issue just got dropped but it obviously didn't do anything to resolve the problems. Hence the problems continue.

The threat of shutting down the AZHTF wasn't a good move. Threats like that get people fired up. Especially in a place like Az. And shutting down the forum does nothing to solve the problem either but creates more.

Ed, might I suggest that instead of letting your staff/mods make threats that you actually listen to the people that are trying to tell you that there is a problem and deal it. Because until you do then the problem will always be here. And it will keep comming up time after time after time.

Also, since you said that actually very few people cause a problem here in the AZHTF that you deal with those individuals. But at least give those people a chance to correct their behavior if you haven't already done that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
When they AZ forum gets shut down are we moving to the Rocky Mountain States forum?

... Shut Down?

... Dang it,  I hope not, where'd this come from?- but just in case, I will make a few calls tonight to some of the AZ folks to the them know where to meet.

... Is this really where we are moving to - Rocky Mountain States Home town Forums?

... When is this scheduled?
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#49]
This HTF seems pretty dead:
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=6
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:59:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
This HTF seems pretty dead:
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=8&f=6

Hey, if they close the AZHTF then would should just take over that one.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top