BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ok, well since nobody else has brought it up, I will...

Has anybody put any thought into Safety issues that might be run into during the camping weekend.  In other words, do we have a First Responder, first-aid kit, capability or plan to deal with a ND, fire burn, wood chopping gone bad?  Anybody know where the closest hospital is?  You get the picture?

Also on a side note, due to the Hernando county Machine Gun shoot that same weekend there are going to be some of the key FDCC shoot organizers that will not be there.  Are you guys who are coming going to want to participate in the FDCC shoot, or are you all going to just watch?  If you guys want to shoot, I have someone who will make sure that FDCC is ready to run some COF's.  

Let me know who thinks what...

Hey all:

I am a C.E.R.T. member and as such, I have a rather large first aid kit that I carry with me, especially to shoots.  I intend to participate in the campout as well as FDCC.  Barring anything tragic, I will be there with my supplies.  

As the unofficial medic of FDCC, I am prepared to deal with most things barring an outright gunshot wound, such as burns, lacerations, abrasions, shrapnel wounds, etc.  In the case of an actual gunshot wound, I will do my best while others are dialling 911.  

-White Horse

p.s.  Hope to see you all there.

Seems like things are coming together.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Update:

Upon further review of the calendar, and checking in with the Minister of Planning, I will be arriving on Saturday afternoon.  So until then, y'all be careful, y'hear?

-White Horse
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#3]

deleted

I have a question.  What makes it so special about a Mormon telling somebody to stick it?  I mean like is that more special than when a Baptist, Episcopalian, or maybe a Catholic does it?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

deleted

I have a question.  What makes it so special about a Mormon telling somebody to stick it?  I mean like is that more special than when a Baptist, Episcopalian, or maybe a Catholic does it?

Mormons have the ability to stick it several more times than any of us married guys of other religions, so I guess he's just lording it over us.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

deleted

Mormons have the ability to stick it several more times than any of us married guys of other religions, so I guess he's just lording it over us.

Funny Ha Ha.    Hey Burney, does this mean you're not coming to  the shoot?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad there's so many trained medical people around to take care of me, I drink like a madman, and tend to get out of control easily.

J/K
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#7]
MormonComputerZ:

I'd really like to be there and meet you guys, but I'll be at the Hernando Machine Gun shoot liberating some lead.  I wish this shoot diddn't conflict with that date.  I think it's cool you guys organized this camp-n-shoot idea and the southwest FL bunch looks as fun loving as us FDCC members.

My prediction is everybody is going to have a blast.  I just hope we can do it again when everybody can be there.  Maybe we'll have you host us next time?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#8]
It's only an hour and some change from home, so I hope to make it Saturday, may or may not stay overnight though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
MormonComputerZ:

I'd really like to be there and meet you guys, but I'll be at the Hernando Machine Gun shoot liberating some lead.  I wish this shoot diddn't conflict with that date.  I think it's cool you guys organized this camp-n-shoot idea and the southwest FL bunch looks as fun loving as us FDCC members.

My prediction is everybody is going to have a blast.  I just hope we can do it again when everybody can be there.  Maybe we'll have you host us next time?

I'm really looking forward to it!  I think a ton of others are as well!

Quoted:
It's only an hour and some change from home, so I hope to make it Saturday, may or may not stay overnight though.

Oh come on!  Be a man!   LIKE ME!  LOL

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Tom,
I see you Deleted your Post. I will respond in Kind.

Regards.

Nigel
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Tom,

Regards.

Nigel
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Edited by Tom
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Tom,

Regards.

Nigel
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:43:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Tom,
Edited in the interest of inter group harmony,  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:52:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I'm so glad we're all getting along so nicely

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:30:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Well the Mods around here are tough like Chuck Norris
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well the Mods around here are tough like Chuck Norris

BAN HIM! BAN HIM!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, what do you know.  I miss a few days and all heck breaks loose.  That's a crying shame, that it had to happen.  I'm not gonna beat a dead horse, BUT do to all the comments about certain people being a "Tight Group", I just want to point out one thing,

This is the "Florida & Georgia Shoot & Sleep".  Since I have not been fortunate enough to shoot with any of the GA arfcomers or any of the SWFL arfcomers, I asked the Safety Question.

If my safety concerns bother anyone, well then maybe I should think twice about spending a weekend around them.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#20]
edited for the sake of "Harmony"

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:11:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
edited for the sake of "Harmony"

You guys are all so "harmonious" that I'm kinda worried about spending the night anywhere near ya'll.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:38:59 AM EDT
[#22]
I am so looking forward to this weekend.  I'm in need of an escape from "civilization".  Wish it was permanent.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:18:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If my safety concerns bother anyone, well then maybe I should think twice about spending a weekend around them.  

lighten up Francis......

Gotta love the Stripes reference.  I'm over it.  I was just very offended when a friend (who had previously offered to skip the MG shoot, just to make sure that there would be an organized FDCC shoot if necessary) got attacked over reiterating my point about Safety concerns for a group that not everyone knew each other.

But it is all good and harmonious...  Thank you SGB for the laugh, guess you guys aren't all Chuck Norris tough.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone from up there know how cold it might be during the night?  I got myself a sleeping bag but will that sufficient enough?  Just don't want to freeze my "how do you do" off while sleeping only to get up the next morning with a hurt back cuz I was shivering so much!

If it gets to cold Stang, you and your wife better move yourself over, cuz you'll have quite a bit of ARFCOMers jumping in!  LOL

Steve (darth_pavoris), are you coming to this still?  Bring the cooler / grill thingy.  I really wouldn't mind grilling up some steaks Saturday night while watching Dan get sloshed.

Lastly to everyone reading this thread and who might be thinking of coming.
Sorry for stirring up the pot.  I take full responsibility for starting it and ask forgiveness from all parties, especially Nigel and FlatTop.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:29:38 PM EDT
[#26]
I don't want to stir the pot up further, but since I started this mess, I would like to think that we can sleep on the ground for a couple of nights without a MASH unit in tow......

No offense to flattop's suggestions, and yes, things got a little heated, but it really ain't no big deal.We are all grown, so plan accordingly.

Let's have some fun, toast some marshmellows, tell some lies, and act like ADULTS......mostly!

jj
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Anyone from up there know how cold it might be during the night?  I got myself a sleeping bag but will that sufficient enough?  Just don't want to freeze my "how do you do" off while sleeping only to get up the next morning with a hurt back cuz I was shivering so much!

If it gets to cold Stang, you and your wife better move yourself over, cuz you'll have quite a bit of ARFCOMers jumping in!  LOL

Steve (darth_pavoris), are you coming to this still?  Bring the cooler / grill thingy.  I really wouldn't mind grilling up some steaks Saturday night while watching Dan get sloshed.

Sorry for stirring up the pot.  I take full responsibility for starting it and ask forgiveness from all parties, especially Nigel and FlatTop.

Huh? Me??
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:08:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Mormon,
I'll keep this on topic and try not to come accross as an ass...

SGB : Safety is a serious business, no such thing as a silly or useless safety question, your comment, whiel humerous, I think is a little off target.

Tom, I have got sun burnt in January in North FL and have experienced just above freezing , so plan accordingly..many locals are expecting kinda chilly weather.

Chris : Thanks Dude..I'm by no means MR FDCC , I am however very proud of my association with them, they have made me very welcome and are a great bunch of people. I try and help out at the shoots and happen to be one of the folks entrusted with the combination to the storage unit.
Neil (NewARguy) is MR FDCC and I have seen him walk on water

JJ : it's always nice to have a fall back plan. If everyone knows how to do the job of the other member in the team then we never lose the only guy in the team who knows how to use the shiny piece of kit.  You can never have enough Medics or Machine Gunners, especially if you have got shot.

Of course I will not be there and Whitehorse has the big Trauma Bag, I would humbly suggest however that Flattop (Chris) be nominated to find the local hospital and print out the mapquest directions to it.

Hope is all works out guys.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Gear to bring:

I've done alot of camping (boy scouts) Jan, feb are the 2 coldest months. I would expect temps to drop into the 20s maybe even the upper teens in lake city at night. Your average wally world 40-50 degree bag won't cut it alone.  Sports authority is now carring alot of decent camping gear. you should be able to get a 0-20 bag there for less than $50. or if you have a wally world bag already get another one and double up.

good news is with temps like that food stays cold in cooler.

cooking gear. you could eat sandwiches all weekend but i like hot meals and hot drinks when its cold like that. a propane or coleman stove would be a very good idea. firewood is likely to be scarce AND its been my experiance in those months open fires may be banned by the forestry service.  some basic cooking gear should be brought. if you are using propnae and wondering how much a double burner stove with both burners on high lasts 1 hour on a 1 lb can. I'll be bringing 2 20 lb tanks. one for my stove and lantern and another for the team ar-15 grill.

do not even think about bringing sterno. its usless and its VERY usless when its cold outside.

Air matress and an electric pump to inflat it. these things are the gift from the gods when it comes to sleeping on the ground. get a good one.

camping chair. bring a good chair! you don't wanna sit on the wet cold ground.

good places to buy camping gear in SWFL:

wal mart
Target
sears
and sports authority.

If you don't have any gear and are wonder what all of this costs:
propane lanterns start at about $20 i've seen before at big lots for $15
a propane single burner stove runs $15-20 an larger 2 burner $20-40
propane bottles are about $2 a piece. on a 2 nighter you'll need atleast one propane bottle for the lantern. the stove will probably only need 1. I'd play it safe and bring 4.

mess kits can be bought at wal mart for less than $20. i suggest paper plates and foam cups to keep  clean up down to a minimum. don't get plastic cups! your hot chocolate won't be hot for very long.

Tents can be had cheap. I've got a small one I got from sports authority for $10! expect $20-40 for a tent and $20 for an air matress. another $20-40 for a sleeping bag.

I know Stang1 and Mrs. Stang1 do alot of camping feel free to add to this list.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I know Stang1 and Mrs. Stang1 do alot of camping feel free to add to this list.

Or jump in their camper.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Suggestion for you tent guys/girls.............
Go buy an electric blanket It really works

We went riding at Croom a couple years ago, and the first night we were there, it dropped int the upper 20's, all we had were the 19.99 sleeping bag specials. We got in the truck!!!
Next day we went to Wally world, an got the blanket, put it under the sleeping bags, and we were nice & toasty all weekend

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Tom,

I am more than happy to say I am over it and will be there.  Just got my Blackhawk Omega VI and my BlackHawk Tactical Chest pouches .223.  So I'm geared up and ready to go.  

As far as Sleeping bags go I will try to find mine online and post some details, I have slept in freezing temps before and not had a problem with them.

Looking forward to meeting all of you guys.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe a stupid question, but here goes:

What kind of gear is recommended for the FDCC shoot?
I mean: My shotgun doesn't have a sling, do I need one?
Do I need a holster for my handgun, and what kind?
How many mags do I have to carry for my AR?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:20:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Dan, just bring what you always bring to our shoots.  You'll be just fine.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#35]
http://www.fdcc.us/info.html

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:58:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Shotgun, no sling?  No shotguns used at FDCC.

I would say you would want/need the following for shooting the COFs at FDCC:

Pistol, whatever holster you feel the most confident using,even seen a S&W 686 used, couple extra mags in a holder of your choice.

Carbine with sling of your choice, be it an AR, MP5, even seen a CETME used, couple extra mags with some sort of holder.

Pretty easy going, so whatever works for you.

I personally will be using the following, some of it for the first time:

AR-15 w/ single point sling with quick release
5 30 round mags
Glock 19 w/ 2 15 round mags and 2 17 round mags
Blackhawk Industries Omega VI for the Glock w 1 mag holder
Blackhawk Industries Chest pouches for 4 30 round AR mags and 2 pistol mags

For the rest of the weekend I wil be bringing the 870 and a 10/22 for fun.  Hope this helps out some.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#37]
Saw a movie somewhere, thought it was at your site, and the guys was using a shotgun for the last targets. Must have been somewhere else.....
Thanks for the info!

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shotgun, no sling?  No shotguns used at FDCC.

I would say you would want/need the following for shooting the COFs at FDCC:

Pistol, whatever holster you feel the most confident using,even seen a S&W 686 used, couple extra mags in a holder of your choice.

Carbine with sling of your choice, be it an AR, MP5, even seen a CETME used, couple extra mags with some sort of holder.

Pretty easy going, so whatever works for you.

I personally will be using the following, some of it for the first time:

AR-15 w/ single point sling with quick release
5 30 round mags
Glock 19 w/ 2 15 round mags and 2 17 round mags
Blackhawk Industries Omega VI for the Glock w 1 mag holder
Blackhawk Industries Chest pouches for 4 30 round AR mags and 2 pistol mags

For the rest of the weekend I wil be bringing the 870 and a 10/22 for fun.  Hope this helps out some.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#38]
I've never seen anyone use a shotgun, course I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you can't.  

Anyways what kind of shotgun do you have, I ask cause I've been looking at the Blackhawk sling for my 870.  If I'm not mistaken it has the front mount adapter that mounts in between the magazine and the extension and then has a loop for the stock.  It is also the only one I have seen here in town locally.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've never seen anyone use a shotgun, course I guess that doesn't necessarily mean you can't.  

Anyways what kind of shotgun do you have, I ask cause I've been looking at the Blackhawk sling for my 870.  If I'm not mistaken it has the front mount adapter that mounts in between the magazine and the extension and then has a loop for the stock.  It is also the only one I have seen here in town locally.

Shotguns are not allowed at all on that range, sorry.  A rifle/subgun and pistol with a few extra mags (at least one) are all you need.  Bring some snacks and water to keep you going and be sure to dress according to the weather and expect changes.

Hope this helps.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks, all!

Shotgun: Winchester 1300 Defender

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shotguns are not allowed at all on that range, sorry.  A rifle/subgun and pistol with a few extra mags (at least one) are all you need.  Bring some snacks and water to keep you going and be sure to dress according to the weather and expect changes.

Hope this helps.

-White Horse

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:59:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

-White Horse

White Horse,

Are shotguns not allowed for FDCC or for the range at all?  Just trying to figure out if I shouldn't pack mine for that weekend.

Thanks,
Chris
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

-White Horse

White Horse,

Are shotguns not allowed for FDCC or for the range at all?  Just trying to figure out if I shouldn't pack mine for that weekend.

Thanks,
Chris

Same.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hope this helps.

-White Horse

White Horse,

Thanks,
Chris

The range rules posted by the state say no shotguns, I asked them why out of curiosity and they said the range is getting too hot with lead contamination.
The lanes have berms that you are supposed to shoot into but some the pellets are getting into the ground before the berm and folks are shooting at the ground not the berm also so when the EPA tested the soil it was high.

The berms can be cleaned and rebuilt and the lead removed the lanes its alot harder to clean and they don't want the range to get shutdown by the EPA.

Hope that helps some to answer why.

I don't make it over to the hometown forum much but I hope to be able to swing by and meet some of the other members. I'm local to the area so if anyone has any questions about the area Ill be happy help.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks a lot Dr. Zero!  That was full of information and it helped!  Thank you!

Now on a serious note...

Another person in my department thought it was a good idea to take a voice mail message I sent them, put it to WAV and send it to several ppl in the company.  How vindictive!  LOL  Great stuff eh!  

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:24:47 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Now on a serious note...

Another person in my department thought it was a good idea to take a voice mail message I sent them, put it to WAV and send it to several ppl in the company.  How vindictive!  LOL  Great stuff eh!  

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Now on a serious note...

Happy to help look forward to seeing you all there.

If someone has a small generator you could have a ak build while you were at it also
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Who's all ready for this?  I will be bringing the Southwest Florida Banner along to put on my Tent so ppl don't have a problem finding some ARFCOMers.  We should all come up w/ some kind of distinctive marking for our campsites so we all know when we pass a site that they're part of our group.  

I will also be putting a packet together and will print many copies for distribution to attendee's and will also post a PDF for download for anyone who wants to print a copy for themself w/o having to wait for one at the camp.  It will contain Safety Information (emergency numbers, directions, etc.) the itinerary for the weekend, important Cell Phone Numbers of ARFCOMers that will be on site, and a bunch of other crap inside.

Can't wait for this to happen.  I'm so looking forward to camping since I haven't done it in such a long time.  Anyone else going to this?  I have a feeling that there are unregistered users to this website that have read this thread and will show up.  Why don't you register up, introduce yourself, and give us all a shout!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Yeah what he said.  ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I promise to be nice and not cause any so come on down.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:28:01 PM EDT
[#50]
+1 We'll be nice...promise it wont hurt......for long.

Becoming a member is FREE mmmkay. FREE

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top