Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I work in this industry and I don't expect prices to double... It is the cost of natural gas and the reluctance to use coal that is causing the problem. We are nothing like California... Deregulation is not the problem... I agree that it would be wise at this point to sign a contract at this point and lock in a rate.

I would disagree, if you have seen power this week and last, and when Nat Power tried to raise the rates, SMitherman (PUC COmmish) tried to tell them they couldn't ( He was wrong, but strong armed Nat Power) to the point they declared bankruptcy.

Then he said he would call all the retailers and tell them they could not raise rates.

Factor in the price caps at $2250 and $4500 for shadow prices, and think about it again.

Include the FACT that the PUC COmm said, IN MY PRESENCE, at an open meeting, that as long as we have 3-4 electric retailers (TXU, RELIANT, AEP, and an other) that we have competition, he knows that the new market will kill companies, and the price will go up, we are headed in that direction.

TXL

You are wrong in my informed opinion... That was a fixed price plan National's Customers signed up for long ago. They weren't trying to raise the rates on their current offers alone. Their actions were unethical and they deserved to go out of business. They were only able to offer those artificially low rates because they weren't hedged properly. They HAD to raise their "fixed rate" plans to stay in business. When the PUC prevented them from doing so they went under because they didn't procure properly. Hedging your procurement strategy with options and calls is expensive and they couldn't offer those prices and make a profit if they were hedged properly. They made a bet and lost, and their customers are suffering because of it. They should see a class action. The market didn't kill National Power Company. The PUC decision was to protect consumers from fly-by-nights, not to protect Reliant and others from competition. Your opinion seems ill-iformed and biased at best.

Biased, yes, ill formed?  no way in hell.

The PUC was wrong in their ruling about Natl power.  Anyone who can read the rules knows this is true.

They did not hedge properly, I agree.  I also agree they sold power priced too low.  However, the market is broken.  The increase in price caps was a recipe for rape.
"There has never been a megawatt worth $1000" (Former TXU Manager of 20 years)

TXL

Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:37:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I work in this industry and I don't expect prices to double... It is the cost of natural gas and the reluctance to use coal that is causing the problem. We are nothing like California... Deregulation is not the problem... I agree that it would be wise at this point to sign a contract at this point and lock in a rate.

I would disagree, if you have seen power this week and last, and when Nat Power tried to raise the rates, SMitherman (PUC COmmish) tried to tell them they couldn't ( He was wrong, but strong armed Nat Power) to the point they declared bankruptcy.

Then he said he would call all the retailers and tell them they could not raise rates.

Factor in the price caps at $2250 and $4500 for shadow prices, and think about it again.

Include the FACT that the PUC COmm said, IN MY PRESENCE, at an open meeting, that as long as we have 3-4 electric retailers (TXU, RELIANT, AEP, and an other) that we have competition, he knows that the new market will kill companies, and the price will go up, we are headed in that direction.

TXL

You are wrong in my informed opinion... That was a fixed price plan National's Customers signed up for long ago. They weren't trying to raise the rates on their current offers alone. Their actions were unethical and they deserved to go out of business. They were only able to offer those artificially low rates because they weren't hedged properly. They HAD to raise their "fixed rate" plans to stay in business. When the PUC prevented them from doing so they went under because they didn't procure properly. Hedging your procurement strategy with options and calls is expensive and they couldn't offer those prices and make a profit if they were hedged properly. They made a bet and lost, and their customers are suffering because of it. They should see a class action. The market didn't kill National Power Company. The PUC decision was to protect consumers from fly-by-nights, not to protect Reliant and others from competition. Your opinion seems ill-iformed and biased at best.

Biased, yes, ill formed?  no way in hell.

The PUC was wrong in their ruling about Natl power.  Anyone who can read the rules knows this is true.

They did not hedge properly, I agree.  I also agree they sold power priced too low.  However, the market is broken.  The increase in price caps was a recipe for rape.
"There has never been a megawatt worth $1000" (Former TXU Manager of 20 years)

TXL

We'll have to agree to disagree... :)
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:50:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Fair enough, although I think you will agree, peeps need to get on contract.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

TXL

OH YEA! For sure. The sonner the better... If you can't get on one by July though, you may want to wait for winter prices, which should dip a little, but not back to where they were before.

Buyer beware though. If the price seems way lower than everyone else, it probably isn't hedged right. You can expect to be on POLR eventually :)
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Man, I'm glad to have found this thread.

Just signed a 2 year with StarTex for 14.0cents.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 11:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
just locked gexa at $.136 + $10 a month....

how did i do?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 12:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tag for tomorrow when im nnot f\drung

Alrighty then.....  

Here's a timely article from this morning's Star-Telegram. Link.

Surge in power prices may portend long, costly summer in Texas

Hmm, looks like I'm ahead of the times.

TXL

Looks like it. At this point I'm willing to buy you a six pack of that Pumpkin Ale youlike so much!
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:05:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TXL

I have a question, here.  I have OnPac for my business and its rate is .085 now, month to month which is very low.  I called OnPac about locking 1 yr.  The rep said she can lock for 1 yr with a rate of .11, but not at .085.  She suggested that I should check monthly bill and lock it if it starts going up.  
 My dilemma:  Lock now at .11 (and pay more) or take a chance, wait, save for now and it might shoot up to .15 and get rape.

I would take the 11 and know it's done.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 8:06:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

how did i do?

you did fine
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:57:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Some Texans Dumped By Electricity Providers
Jun 5, 2008 12:11 pm US/Central

AUSTIN (AP) ―

More than 30,000 Texas electricity customers have been forced into a state backup program in recent weeks after their retail providers defaulted on payments to the operator of the state's largest power grid.

The latest provider was Denton-based Etricity. The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which operates the grid for most of the state, said it switched about 12,220 Etricity residential customers into the provider-of-last-resort program.

While those customers may have to pay higher prices until they sign with a new provider, it allows them to avoid having their electricity turned off as Texas heats up for the summer.

The Public Utility Commission urges customers to shop for lower rates at www.powertochoose.org.

Two other companies, Pre-Buy Electric LLC and National Power Co., also stopped serving about 24,000 customers in the last couple of weeks.

Texas deregulated its electricity market in 1999 and allowed customers to start choosing their providers in 2002. Critics contend deregulation hasn't reduced prices as promised, and lawmakers disappointed with the results failed in an effort to revamp the system during the last legislative session.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#13]
What is TXU offering? Any promo codes available?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:38:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did i do?

you did fine

Well, maybe you did fine... $10 is double the normal customer charge... So let's say you use 1000 kWh's each month...

((1000*.136)+10)/1000= $0.146 per kWh

14.6 ain't bad, but it ain't good either... It's looking better every day though...

If you use 1500 per month you're looking at around 14.3 cents per kWh... The more you use, the lower your average price per kWh because the monthly customer charge is fixed. I'm suprised to see Gexa doing something like that. The idea from their perspective is to lure  customers with a low energy charge (13.6 looks good) and get their money back with a customer charge.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did i do?

you did fine

Well, maybe you did fine... $10 is double the normal customer charge... So let's say you use 1000 kWh's each month...

14.6 ain't bad, but it ain't good either... It's looking better every day though...

If you use 1500 per month you're looking at around 14.3 cents per kWh... The more you use, the lower your average price per kWh because the monthly customer charge is fixed. I'm suprised to see Gexa doing something like that. The idea from their perspective is to lure  customers with a low energy charge (13.6 looks good) and get their money back with a customer charge.

5$ customer charge, 5$ meter charge...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

how did i do?

you did fine

5$ customer charge, 5$ meter charge...

Yes, but normally, the meter charge is bundled into the rate... Reliant covers the meter charge with their $5 customer charge, so what is Gexa doing with the extra 5 bucks? It doesn't cost $5 to bill a customer and send a paper invoice in the mail. See what I mean? The price point of .136 is what pops out at consumers and they don't always run the numbers to see that they are actually paying 14.6...
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just be very careful not to go with the lowest rate and end up on POLR (Provider of Last resort). The price for POLR is MCPE + 20% or more. I don't know for sure, but I bet those NPC customers will end up paying .20 cents per kWh or more in the hottest part of the summer.

I was with NPC. I did not know they were going out of business and was switched to TXU. Not until I called them to transfer my service to my new apartment. Called TXU my POLR rate was .245 kWh I will be on that for 3wks.

Signed with Reliant. They have or had an internet special 13.05 kWh + $4.50 service charge till OCt. 31st. Then it goes up to .145 kWh + $5.50 svc charge.

I wish I coulda kept MPC. I was at .119 per kWh with them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:35:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Just be very careful not to go with the lowest rate and end up on POLR (Provider of Last resort). The price for POLR is MCPE + 20% or more. I don't know for sure, but I bet those NPC customers will end up paying .20 cents per kWh or more in the hottest part of the summer.

I was with NPC. I did not know they were going out of business and was switched to TXU. Not until I called them to transfer my service to my new apartment. Called TXU my POLR rate was .245 kWh I will be on that for 3wks.

Signed with Reliant. They have or had an internet special 13.05 kWh + $4.50 service charge till OCt. 31st. Then it goes up to .145 kWh + $5.50 svc charge.

It's not often that I hate being right
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your tellin me. I moved to a crappy old aparment complex with lousy insulation. And its suppose to be between 90-95 for the next 3wks. Couple that with gas, and I may have to work a 3rd job.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your tellin me. I moved to a crappy old aparment complex with lousy insulation. And its suppose to be between 90-95 for the next 3wks. Couple that with gas, and I may have to work a 3rd job.

Well, the best deed you can do now is to share your experience and encourage your friends and loved ones to consider more than just price when they sign up. It's important to have many choices in a deregulated market, but some will try to undercut the market to gain market share. If you see a price that's to good to be true, remember that it's a gamble.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 8:31:15 AM EDT
[#21]
More TXU drama.

I got a bill from TXU for:
$200 kWh used
$300 deposit
$78 connection fee.

I don't mind paying the electric I used, but a deposit and connection fee when I did not have a choice in the matter?!?!? WTF over!!

So I call, got transferred a few time, put on hold for a total of 30+mins. Bottom line I am stuck with the charges.

I was told I needed to switch within 5 days. Well I was not made aware of the switch to POLR (TXU) until the 7th day. TXU will not budge on this

So now I am trying to get the PUC involved.

Any help or info regarding fighting this would be GREATLY appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
More TXU drama.

$200 kWh used
$300 deposit
$78 connection fee.

I don't mind paying the electric I used, but a deposit and connection fee when I did not have a choice in the matter?!?!? WTF over!!

So I call, got transferred a few time, put on hold for a total of 30+mins. Bottom line I am stuck with the charges.

I was told I needed to switch within 5 days. Well I was not made aware of the switch to POLR (TXU) until the 7th day. TXU will not budge on this

Direct used to have a no-deposit option, but they scraped it because they got burned too mnay times... You might try Amigo energy...
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#23]
I signed up for a 3 year contract a couple months back when oil crested $100/barrel.

I urge everyone to get as long a contract as they can.  

We are in an economic SHTF.  
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#24]
WOW! I'm impressed with Reliant! They just called me to inform me that I was transitioned to their POLR rate of 20-some-odd cents per kWh. I expected this so I was not suprised. What's cool is that the offered to retroactively switch me from POLR to their no contract month to month plan at 15.5 cents per kWh. While that price isn't a world beater, I was pleased that they decided against collecting what they were legally allowed to collect (20 cents per kWh). This was smart on their part, because now I want to enroll with them under the assumtion that if this is the way they treat the customers being dropped to them, they probably treat their customers even better. Plus I noticed on whitefence that their rates were competitive. The most important thing to me was price, but after being pwned by National Power Co, I think I'll go with someone who actually knows what they are doing. I will be on Direct Energy's plan until I move, but they won't transfer my current price to my new home, so screw them. Most big providers allow you to transfer your current contract (term length and price) to your new address so long as it is in the same service area. I'm not even changing zip codes, so Direct was trying to shaft me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More TXU drama.

$200 kWh used
$300 deposit
$78 connection fee.

Direct used to have a no-deposit option, but they scraped it because they got burned too mnay times... You might try Amigo energy...

I already got reliant, but I am still in the hole with TXU for the 15days with them at the cost of $578
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I just signed up with Direct Energy and I had no deposit.  My service was switched to Amigo instead of a POLR thanks to NPC.
Link Posted: 6/9/2008 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
You guys getting the .138$ shouldn't complain.  That's unheard of around here.

Houston area, were lucky for $.157 from a known company.  You can get into the $.14XX range but it's the fly by night companies that will eventually go under.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#28]
for those looking for a txu code
www.txu.com/flexpluscashback should set up something around 12.5 per kwh.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Website states that code expired.

Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Who has experience with Direct Energy?  They are offering a 12-month fixed rate contract at 13.5 cents per kWh and $5.00 monthly fee.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Odd, it says on the sheet good till June 30th.
You can call and ask about the flexprotect + upgrade plan.
800-520-5121

Guess it also says they can cancel the offer at anytime.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Website states that code expired.

Link Posted: 6/11/2008 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Which TXU plan is the bestest?

TIA,
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 7:41:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Anyonewith direct energy?

Anyone know anything about them?
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a fact...we have it pretty good on Austin Energy.

Yup!
The last 3 months I have paid an average of $0.0855 per KWh. The price jumps considerably for any usage over 500 KWh per month, so I try hard to conserve.  

Under 500kwh/mo?  I need to see where all my energy is going because I am averaging about 1800kwh/mo over the last 13 months.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 4:19:42 AM EDT
[#35]
I signed up with Ambit Energy this past Feb and locked in $.109 per kwh for a year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 5:44:42 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I signed up with Ambit Energy this past Feb and locked in $.109 per kwh for a year.

I will bet one magazine that you'll be on POLR within a year.
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

1000 kWh - 17.4¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

i've been with Direct for several years.  Fair prices and no complaints.

I'm debating right now whether I should make the switch to Reliant Energy.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#39]
Is that what they quoted you? Or what you pay now?
I was quoted at 1500kwh at 12.5 thinking that was high since I only pay 11.something now.

Quoted:

Quoted:

1000 kWh - 17.4¢ Average price per kilowatt hour
Link Posted: 6/12/2008 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Anyone know anything about Gexa Energy? I have been on First Choice Power and hate it. But have been to lazy to change providers.

I have First Choice and they pissed me off so bad today I'm switchin'.   Got a bill for two months because the meter reader messed up back in Feb.  I'm sick of paying for my mistakes and then for everyone else's.  Seems that when you get a bill and pay it, that doesn't mean a damn thing, because they can come back at anytime and adjust a bill that is months old because of their fuck up.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
https://www.yeptexas.com

This provider has the lowest 12 month fixed rate 13.3 for my area. I paid $ 0.1368 last month for TXUs month to month plan(taxes included). Sound good until I saw this in the T&S agreement:

"YEP may disconnect service with or without prior written notice for any of the reasons stated in Section 25.483 of the Customer Rules and may also terminate
this Agreement without penalty in response to a change in market conditions."

What's the point of a fixed rate plan if thy can cancel it at any time due 'to a change in market conditions'?

And if you read further in their Terms of Agreement they can automatically enroll you in a new plan and then you need to give them a 30-day notice to terminate the plan or pay $150 fee.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

I use direct energy.

No complaints really...   Other than once your bill is 5 days late they begin calling you.

I couldn't tell you what my rate is.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#43]
If we are in a new neighborhood and have only 1 (one) Energy company to get power from, and they raise the price, isn't that price setting + gouging -- because they are a monopoly?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use direct energy.

No complaints really...   Other than once your bill is 5 days late they begin calling you.

I couldn't tell you what my rate is.

We got a letter from Direct Energy a few weeks ago stating a rate increase of 40% was comming down the pipe.  

We switched to Reliant Energy.  I don't have the rates here with me but I believe it was $.138 per kw/h until 10/31 and $.167 after for the remaining term.

I just checked the Reliant page and the rates today on the 24 month plan have gone up quite a bit since we switched.

ETA:  Thanks for the heads up on this TxLewis.  Without this thread, we wouldn't have been paying too much attention to this.  My radar was on and when we got the notice of price increase, we jumped on a deal with Reliant.....

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
We switched to Reliant Energy.  I don't have the rates here with me but I believe it was $.138 per kw/h until 10/31 and $.167 after for the remaining term.

I just checked the Reliant page and the rates today on the 24 month plan have gone up quite a bit since we switched.

I'm looking to switch from Reliant to Liberty.  Reliant has changed me into three different plans in the past three months.  I was doing month-to-month at 13.4cents, then in June they switched me to 14.4cents, and for July 15.7 cents.  All different plans too.  They just phase out one plan and force you into the newest plan.  I called to complain and they said I will go into a even newer plan that adjusts each month and BTW the rate will be close to 19 cents!   Time to bail.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm looking to switch from Reliant to Liberty.  Reliant has changed me into three different plans in the past three months.  I was doing month-to-month at 13.4cents, then in June they switched me to 14.4cents, and for July 15.7 cents.  All different plans too.  They just phase out one plan and force you into the newest plan.  I called to complain and they said I will go into a even newer plan that adjusts each month and BTW the rate will be close to 19 cents!   Time to bail.

Yep, same here.  

Damn shame I missed this two months ago!!

Any suggestions with their offerings now at 19.X cents and up??  
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same here.  

I dunno.  I'd suggest getting locked into to something.  Check out powertochose.org....

I checked the rates for Reliant that we signed up on.  It's $.134 per kw/h until 10/31 then it goes to $.157 per kw/h for the duration of the 24 month contract.  I'm sure we'll be provider shopping again in two years.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, same here.  

I dunno.  I'd suggest getting locked into to something.  Check out powertochose.org....

I checked the rates for Reliant that we signed up on.  It's $.134 per kw/h until 10/31 then it goes to $.157 per kw/h for the duration of the 24 month contract.  I'm sure we'll be provider shopping again in two years.

For crying out loud, Liberty just raised their rates today.  It was 11.22cents yesterday now it is 11.4cents.  I've tried contacting them via email and phone and can't get a hold of anyone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:55:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Alright, I tried and tried to convince myself to go with Liberty since they offer the lowest fixed rate electricity in my area, but they don't understand squat about how things work here in Texas.  After calling their customer service line, in Florida, they continually demonstrate clueless they are.  I won't do business with them no matter what rate they offer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Here's the one I use, I thought the Houston rate was high but for a 2 year it's about the cheapest thing out there right now.

Go to Energy tab and select Texas then Energy Rate Comparison and see all the compaines together.  I have been on Stream about a year and a half, they are I think the 5th largest retail provider in Texas.

You can switch on-line with your bill and zero switch fee, you can also call your meter company after the switch and ask for a special meter reading to speed it up.  I think the extra reading cost about $6.

http://jimball.igniteinc.biz/

Edit:  AR15texan, I also looked at Liberty rate and it's higher than the Stream rate.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top