Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good.  Everyone be careful driving up.  Someone bring an old mattress so if Bailagent100 falls out of his camper again he'll have a softer landing this time...

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What he said!!!  

lol
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:11:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Alright....I got the two (heavy) steel targets loaded up.  I'm also bringing a couple old wood pallets to use as a pistol target stand and/or fuel for the campfire.

The targets are made of AR (abrasion resistant, IIRC) 500 steel.  They'll take a lot of punishment but, please, guys, no A.P. or steel core rounds on these units.  They will pock-mark the targets so, again, no A.P. or steel core rounds, please.

I have a case of clay birds & a hand trap so bring your scatterguns 'n some target loads, guys.  Anyone else bringing claybirds?  90 birds won't last long with this many people coming up.

I probably won't get out of here until Saturday sometime...hopefully before noon.  

Bailagen100

Bringing up a case of pidgeons and some bio-degradable marking paint cans(empty)-they are fun to blast and sometimes they hiss and jump pretty well if ya nail them right. Dont worry-first rain and any paint residue is gone so we wont  make a mess and the tree huggers cant bitch.

Any other items that may be needed for a group?- I have a few BIG trash bags and 10 gal of wash water-spare tent possibly

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm getting packed up and will bring some paint for the steel as well.  I'm trying to sort out a tire issue I'm having right now with the car.  Leaving the truck with the wife so I'm going to try to get this thing plugged.  At worst I have a spare and a can of fix-a-flat.  I might pick up a small portable compressor as well.  Catch yall up there tomorrow or Sat!

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
What time is everyone going up tomorrow? Maybe we could meet and convoy up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:08:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Not heading up until about 1800.  I gotta run and try to get this tire fixed and then to grab some ammo before I head up.  I think it's leaking from around the bead somewhere...  

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Not heading up until about 1800.  I gotta run and try to get this tire fixed and then to grab some ammo before I head up.  I think it's leaking from around the bead somewhere...  

CMS

That works for me. I'm not off till 0500 tomorrow anyways. Gives me some time to sleep and get ready. EDIT: Also take your tire to Discount Tire. They will usually fix them for free.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah I might stop by there...the ones on the car now are shot.  They're bald and two don't like to hold air but only one of them is giving me real issues.  I'm just holding off a month or two for new ones because I gotta buy a new set for the truck first...and the car normally only goes 2 miles to work and two miles back each day.  Screw it it's a beater car.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Well if we do want to convoy up just name a time and place. Otherwise I'll see you guys up there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll post up tomorrow if I'm going to be able to.  Just depends.  If it takes a while to get the car ready then it will be dark by the time I get up there.  Definitely tying to get up there before then so I don't have to set up in the dark.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm heading up there early Saturday morning - probably not spending the night.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm going to go ahead and start heading up there now. I'll see you guys there.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Here now- nice spot- lil breezy but not bad. We are in the white F150 -green and grey tents!
See ya'll when ya get here.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Hockey got reception up there?  Now that's cool.

I'm going to display the Iltis at Chiik a Filet's Salute to Heroes deal  tomorrow from 1000-1400, then I'm coming up in my red Dodge Durango.   I msplaced my title paperwork so I wasn't able to get to the DNV this afternoon, and I can't chance driving it up there without papers....well, maybe. there's a new law that allows mil vehicles to not display state issued plates, you keep them in your ride then present to LEO if you get pulled over or something  Right now I;ve got repro Canadian DND plates......dunno, maybe I'll chance it, they have the Race to the Clouds antique car race to Cripple Creek, I'll blend right in.

Anyhooo, how does the tentage situation look?  I can bring an extra cot in exchange for a roof over our heads, Shebah Sue will lay right night to me on her woobie.....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Well just for a quick AAR...about 1/2 of us arrived on Friday evening and the other helf arrived on Saturday for a total attendance of about ten people.  It was a good turnout.  Friday I arrived pretty late (8pm or so) and proceeded to relax around the camp fire and BS with some of the guys.  Friday night was pretty cold.  I roughed it in my issue 3 bag sleep system and was still uncomfortable.  I ended up waking up with frost on my bag.  Saturday morning brought some firewood gathering and prep for shooting.  After breakfast we proceeded to do a little shooting on paper.  When Bailagent100 and Bettendorf arrived we has steel to shoot at and tossed that out there as well.  Snipershide member McCrazy came up and was kind enough to let us shoot some of his nice stuff as well.  Saturday ended with some plinking on 550yd steel with Bailagent100's M1Garand which is laser accurate.  We packed up the guns and broke out the food for some campfire cooking.  Bettendorf and myself made a two hour attempt to do some coyote hunting with no success.  Sunday morning everyone grabbed a bite to eat and we policed up our trash and brass, loaded up the targets, and everyone began to trickle out to head back home.  Overall it was a great weekend and I enjoyed everybodies company.  I'll have some pics up when Matt is able to email them to me.  I have a few on my camera that I'll get up online tomorrow as well.  If you took pics toss them up here.  The more the better.

On a side note....we may do another one of these next month.  Probably best to see what the weather does though because we could have snow up there in a few weeks.  I'll post up here in the HTF if we have enough interest to pick a date and go again.  I know a few people are in for sure.

CMS
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Had a great weekend and I want to toss out a couple of "Thank You's"
1- To CMS- Thanks for setting this up!
2- I neglected to thank you guys that are in service- THANK YOU!
3- Thanks for letting us share in the shooting and trying out some different weapons. My son still has a smile after firing a .50!

Great group of folks- really down to earth and great to hang around the fire and BS with them-you just have to be careful of the Rocky Mountain Tree Frogs!
Great spot to get some decent distance shooting. I even tried lobbing 1oz slugs from my 590 about 400 yards at a bush! Total waste of slugs but what the hell- it was fun and that's what this was all about.
My BIL shot a ton of pics and as soon as I can get with him I will post a few pics. It was very nice to meet everybody and spend a couple of nights away from the BS of town.
Friday night was a touch chilly and when I checked the temp about an hour after I woke up (sunrise) it was 36. Awesome day for shooting, about 70 during the day with about an 8 mph breeze.
Saturday night was still chilly but the humidity was lower so it didn't feel as cool, another great day on Sunday.

Thanks again to all and no, Bailagent didn't fall down, at least while we were there!
Probably won't be able to make another one before the snow flies plus I need to replace the ammo we burned up!
I almost forgot we got an awesome treat Saturday afternoon- A C130 with ANG markings was practicing high altitude/ terrain contour flight and we were treated to a low altitude (250-400') flyover of the camp and shooting area! Way cool even if you are not an aircraft nut. I just wish we would have seen him sooner and as everybody had ear protection in we didn't hear him coming. Quite the surprise!
If you ever get the chance to attend one of these camp outs do so- great people in a great environment and a good time!

Thanks again to all and- Wolverines
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Some pics of the crew and action.  Hope to do this again before winter blows in or at worst in the spring when the weather breaks.  Had a blast guys!  Good meeting those of you that showed up for the first time and for those who came before...it was good seeing you again!

CMS

(Thanks for the pics Matt)

Enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again for the good times guys!

Video:    http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/cms81586/?action=view¤t=DSCF8971.mp4

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone else have any pics?

CMS
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Wish I would have gone.....
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 7:56:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like a good time.  I like the tinfoil cookery:  throw it in; relax.
Link Posted: 9/20/2010 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#22]
We lucked out.  Yesterday Park county enacted Stage I Fire Restrictions.  I guess there won't be any camping until we can have a campfire again!

CMS
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I lucked into a decent Coleman cabin tent for $20 at a yard sale.......Any plans for another trip?    I'm going up Mt Evans with the Rocky Mountain Unimoggers first weekend in November, driving The Skunque.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 3:24:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Considering doing another camp out...have some 3 and 4 day weekends coming up soon in October.  Anyone up for some cold weather camping? It will be chilly... Looking at mid––oct...

CMS

ETA: On a side note... Not going up until the burn ban is lifted...cold enough there in the evening alone...without a fire to warm u up and for everyone to congregate around.  Whats yall's ferlings on this?
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 6:50:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Found the fire ring today, very nice spot.
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]
If the fire restrictions are lifted some time before there's a ton of snow up there I'd like to do a day trip/shoot and some cooking over the fire.  All depends on the county though.  Don't look like we've gotten enough precip to call off the ban as of yet.

ETA:  I stand corrected.  Just checked www.cofireban.info and Park County lifted their fire ban as of 13 OCT so who's up for a day get together or possibly an overnight "frozen nuts" shoot some time in mid-November?

CMS
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:06:37 AM EDT
[#27]
In with two steel targets
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:44:08 AM EDT
[#28]
I should be able to bring one steel target as long as bettendorf has no issue with me borrowing it.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#29]
I'll have to bow out of the November shoot.  The camper will be off the truck for the winter by then.

Will keep an eye out for word of the first spring/summer shoot of 2011.

Enjoy & don't get frostbit.

Bailagent100
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:05:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll have to bow out of the November shoot.  The camper will be off the truck for the winter by then.

Bailagent100

Wuss  You get the strippers?
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 7:20:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Strippers....mmmmmmm
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bailagent100

Wuss  You get the strippers?

Yes, the strippers showed up looking good.  Thanks very much!
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Just spent the day out there today...there's no snow on the ground and it's looking nice.  Might try to get something together in 2 weeks over Veterans Day weekend.  Any takers?  If so I'll start a new thread.  Thinking Friday the 12th to Sat the 13th.  Any later and it's going to be freezing at night.  I have 2 extra tents if anyone needs one.  In fact...I'm going to post up a new thread now.

CMS
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:16:00 PM EDT
[#34]
You know me.  I'm game
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#35]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=429778

Dude you were so close to winning the TNVC PVS-14.  Hell... you get a free patch now...better than nothing...
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=20&t=429778

Dude you were so close to winning the TNVC PVS-14.  Hell... you get a free patch now...better than nothing...

Holy shit dude.  Now I have to find out about the free patch!  Jonah
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Reading this makes me miss Colorado.  Grew up between the Springs and Placer Valley.  Drove 24 every weekend until I was in high school.  Wow, so many memories.  Spent over 30 years in the Springs.   Have fun at your shoot.  I'll be thinking of you!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top