Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2010 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#1]
just drove by on my way through. still no sign changes but there was a small work type trailer to the side and it wasn't looking neglected.

is eb the confirmed location ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Another update - roll off dumpster in front of the store filled with what looked like cardboard boxes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Another update - roll off dumpster in front of the store filled with what looked like cardboard boxes.

I appreciate the updates.

Link Posted: 8/24/2010 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i don't know why a company that could open a retail gun and gear shop wherever they wanted would choose to do so in one of the most restrictive states in the union, but, hey... good for you CT guys!

But, hey maybe your not sure of the gun laws in ct. If you may please present your interpretation of our restrictive gun laws. thanks

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:53:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Snapped a picture on my way by this morning.  Not much going on.  There is also a small enclosed trailer in the parking lot with a big Harley Davidson sticker on it.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't know why a company that could open a retail gun and gear shop wherever they wanted would choose to do so in one of the most restrictive states in the union, but, hey... good for you CT guys!

But, hey maybe your not sure of the gun laws in ct. If you may please present your interpretation of our restrictive gun laws. thanks

How about stupid rules banning semiauto rifles that have so called "evil" features when other similar rifles are perfectly fine or certain firearms that are banned by name when others that are just about the same are fine?  You asked this question as if you didn't know what he meant.  Come on.

Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

How about stupid rules banning semiauto rifles that have so called "evil" features when other similar rifles are perfectly fine or certain firearms that are banned by name when others that are just about the same are fine?  You asked this question as if you didn't know what he meant.  Come on.

The AWB is stupid but easy enough to work around.  Our carry laws are actually better than a lot of other states.  We are by no means the best and by no means the worst.  There are trade offs either way.  

If you don't have a full working undestanding of our laws the I would suggest to reserve commentary.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The AWB is stupid but easy enough to work around.  Our carry laws are actually better than a lot of other states.  We are by no means the best and by no means the worst.  There are trade offs either way.  

If you don't have a full working undestanding of our laws the I would suggest to reserve commentary.

I'll get right on that.  I read you CT guys bitching about your situation on a weekly basis here and when I make a slight comment you "suggest" I reserve comment?  Lotta nerve.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll get right on that.  I read you CT guys bitching about your situation on a weekly basis here and when I make a slight comment you "suggest" I reserve comment?  Lotta nerve.

That "bitching" is generally one clarifying the various gun laws and remaining rights for another CT resident or potential CT resident.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:28:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think it's too much nerve to ask someone not to speak on a matter they know little about.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:31:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point is that while yes the awb is very stupid, we have better gun rights in this state than most and just dont appreciate non residents coming in and slamming a business for opening in ct because of our gun laws. No they wont be able to sell a colt sporter, but alot of other ar-variants could and do get sold in this state. Just about every handgun could be sold in this state, along with a sound suppressor if you so desire. They will make plenty of money selling guns in this state.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My point is that while yes the awb is very stupid, we have better gun rights in this state than most and just dont appreciate non residents coming in and slamming a business for opening in ct because of our gun laws. No they wont be able to sell a colt sporter, but alot of other ar-variants could and do get sold in this state. Just about every handgun could be sold in this state, along with a sound suppressor if you so desire. They will make plenty of money selling guns in this state.

Who is slamming a business?  Nobody slammed them.  Some of us just find it a little curious, that's all.  I actually applaud them for having the stones to do this in uncertain times in an uncertain political climate.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Lets also add that we do not have any kind of magazine restriction (like our neighbors have). If one applies for a pistol permit they will get one unless they are prohibited by the eleven or so reasons (may take a while but you will get the license). While our state doesn't honor out of state permits there is a process to get a non resident permit (which is generally easier and faster compared to instate residents). Method of carry is not specified either by law or on permit so open carry or conceal carry for us. There are very few places we can not carry into. Pre ban items are allowed which bypasses (for the most part) the AWB restrictions. There is no ammo restrictions or permits required to buy or store ammo. One can also just get a certificate of eligibility to buy a pistol and take it home (they cannot carry with it) rather than the pistol permit. Our interstate firearms transport laws mirror the federal ones so none of the nonsense that potentially await those who transit NY (especially NYC) with handguns, or MA with banned firearms and ammunition (or even spent shell casings). We don't have any silly one gun a month laws. While we do have a waiting period (14 days) for long guns, those are waived with certain permits or job classifications.

Are we as free firearms law wise compared to states like VT or NH, no. But for a fairly far left liberal state we are an oasis for gun laws compared to NJ, NY, and MA. Mostly people complain about the AWB and the pistol permitting process. People in other states just assume that our state is as bad as NJ, NY and MA.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:57:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Lets also add that we do not have any kind of magazine restriction (like our neighbors have). If one applies for a pistol permit they will get one unless they are prohibited by the eleven or so reasons (may take a while but you will get the license). While our state doesn't honor out of state permits there is a process to get a non resident permit (which is generally easier and faster compared to instate residents). Method of carry is not specified either by law or on permit so open carry or conceal carry for us. There are very few places we can not carry into. Pre ban items are allowed which bypasses (for the most part) the AWB restrictions. There is no ammo restrictions or permits required to buy or store ammo. One can also just get a certificate of eligibility to buy a pistol and take it home (they cannot carry with it) rather than the pistol permit. Our interstate firearms transport laws mirror the federal ones so none of the nonsense that potentially await those who transit NY (especially NYC) with handguns, or MA with banned firearms and ammunition (or even spent shell casings). We don't have any silly one gun a month laws. While we do have a waiting period (14 days) for long guns, those are waived with certain permits or job classifications.

Are we as free firearms law wise compared to states like VT or NH, no. But for a fairly far left liberal state we are an oasis for gun laws compared to NJ, NY, and MA. Mostly people complain about the AWB and the pistol permitting process. People in other states just assume that our state is as bad as NJ, NY and MA.

Thankfully we are better!  I love to complain about CT's AWB as much as the next pro-gun resident, but we do have a surprising amount of leeway in this state that our neighbors do not.  No way would I be caught in a situation having to move to MA, RI, or NY.  I would probably be stuck with only being able to keep an over/under shotgun, revolver, and a couple .22 handguns.

As a side note in regards to the permitting process, my wife submitted her permit application around 2 weeks ago and was called by Town Hall late last week because her prints were rejected.  This past Friday she went to DPS in Middletown to get her prints taken electronically, and Wednesday morning she got the call that her permit application was approved - that's 1 day for the state to approve it, and 1 day in the mail (Town Hall closed on Tuesdays) 2 DAYS TOTAL for approval.   She said that she wants to go to DPS on Friday and then on the way home detour to JoJo's and/or NGX to buy two (2) handguns so she can shoot them Saturday or Sunday.  She's already dead set on getting a small revolver for bedside and a slim semi-auto for carry. Good thing CT doesn't have a 1-handgun-a-month rule!  
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
As a side note in regards to the permitting process, my wife submitted her permit application around 2 weeks ago and was called by Town Hall late last week because her prints were rejected.  This past Friday she went to DPS in Middletown to get her prints taken electronically, and Wednesday morning she got the call that her permit application was approved - that's 1 day for the state to approve it, and 1 day in the mail (Town Hall closed on Tuesdays) 2 DAYS TOTAL for approval.   She said that she wants to go to DPS on Friday and then on the way home detour to JoJo's and/or NGX to buy two (2) handguns so she can shoot them Saturday or Sunday.  She's already dead set on getting a small revolver for bedside and a slim semi-auto for carry. Good thing CT doesn't have a 1-handgun-a-month rule!  

New Haven took six months to issue my local temporary permit in 08, got the state permit the next day and about two hours after that had bought two handguns and was shooting them at a local range about an hour later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thankfully we are better!  I love to complain about CT's AWB as much as the next pro-gun resident, but we do have a surprising amount of leeway in this state that our neighbors do not.  No way would I be caught in a situation having to move to MA, RI, or NY.  I would probably be stuck with only being able to keep an over/under shotgun, revolver, and a couple .22 handguns.

S&W 327

8 rounds of three fifty fuck you, and a gigantic tritium night sight up front.  

What the fuck were we talking about again?
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:38:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Dam thought their might be news,this thread had gone to hell quick
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
S&W 327
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8bdYFKk3OW4/TDZGEDCEaKI/AAAAAAAABKA/uw92OoEpmls/s800/img_0325.jpg

You should put that on a sign in your front yard.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:36:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

S&W 327

What the fuck were we talking about again?

Link Posted: 8/28/2010 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I heard they got a contract from the navy to teach different courses so thats why they are here in CT because it is centrally located with all the bases here in the north east.  I gues they figure they will open up a store on the side and also provide training to LEOs and civilians as well.  and if they are teaching the SRF basic and advanced courses they will need a larger facility then the old E & B, the current contractor doing that training uses a old school in Gales Ferry.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#21]
The old sign is still up, building doesn't appear to have changed any, nor any major changes to the property visible from the road. The dumpster is still out front as of this afternoon.

If someone DID buy the place they move awfully slow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Why is RI so much worse than CT? They have no AWB, and the only trade off is no NFA toys, like suppresors or full-auto. While a "shall issue" state the cities are rather tough on issueing carry permits unless you have valid reason, but anyone that meets the normal criteria can purchase, transport, and store any type of pistol/rifle. Also the waiting period is 7 days not 14.

You sir may have just pulled the "state association error" that you are deploring .
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:35:09 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a range safety officer position for Salem, CT available on their website.   Apparently they are hiring.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 8:32:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Why is RI so much worse than CT? They have no AWB, and the only trade off is no NFA toys, like suppresors or full-auto. While a "shall issue" state the cities are rather tough on issueing carry permits unless you have valid reason, but anyone that meets the normal criteria can purchase, transport, and store any type of pistol/rifle. Also the waiting period is 7 days not 14.

You sir may have just pulled the "state association error" that you are deploring .

No AWB but no NFA? That's one helluva trade off! I think I'll pass on a move to RI since I have several NFA toys (just submitted applications for 4 more stamps in July).  MA and NY are certainly worse with their laws, while your explanation puts RI on the better side (and I would evidently be able to keep almost all of my rifles).   It's not all that difficult to get a carry permit in CT, just time con$uming although some towns give people a hard time about it.   I hope you don't have a wait even with a carry permit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No AWB but no NFA? That's one helluva trade off! I think I'll pass on a move to RI since I have several NFA toys (just submitted applications for 4 more stamps in July).  MA and NY are certainly worse with their laws, while your explanation puts RI on the better side (and I would evidently be able to keep almost all of my rifles).   It's not all that difficult to get a carry permit in CT, just time con$uming although some towns give people a hard time about it.   I hope you don't have a wait even with a carry permit.

Yeah for most it would be a welcome trade, but if you have them I'm sure you wouldn't want to lose them. Wish I had the money for NFA toys, SBR would be no issue, but silencers get pricey quick. No wait with carry permit which is nice.  To bypass both laws I have a pre-ban and will be moving back to the CT side soon .

How much can an RSO make working at a range?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that the real answer is to obtain secondary residence in a truly free state.  A bit of land with a modern log cabin or A-frame in NH sounds VERY tempting.  

The CT AWB compromise isn't that bad if you stick to the AR platform.  But there is a whole world of fun and interesting semi-autos that are on the banned by name list that I cannot buy.  FAL, FNC, Hk-91, Hk-94, SP89, AUG, SPAS-12, Feather AT-9, SAR-48, SIG 57, AR-180, the entire calico line etc, etc are all interesting firearms that I'd like to own.  Obtaining an AK pattern rifle in CT is also a big pain in the ass because the 47 is no good for us, and the 74 has to come into the state neutered, which drives up the price because someone outside the state has to make a small batch "ban compliant".

The features ban really pisses me off because I'd just sell my preban and my postban to buy a SCAR in a second if I could.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think that the real answer is to obtain secondary residence in a truly free state.  A bit of land with a modern log cabin or A-frame in NH sounds VERY tempting.  

The CT AWB compromise isn't that bad if you stick to the AR platform.  But there is a whole world of fun and interesting semi-autos that are on the banned by name list that I cannot buy.  FAL, FNC, Hk-91, Hk-94, SP89, AUG, SPAS-12, Feather AT-9, SAR-48, SIG 57, AR-180, the entire calico line etc, etc are all interesting firearms that I'd like to own.  Obtaining an AK pattern rifle in CT is also a big pain in the ass because the 47 is no good for us, and the 74 has to come into the state neutered, which drives up the price because someone outside the state has to make a small batch "ban compliant".

The features ban really pisses me off because I'd just sell my preban and my postban to buy a SCAR in a second if I could.

There are now ways to get clones of the FAL, HK91, HK94, AUG, and AR-180, and 74s aren't that expensive.

There will also be ways to post-ban a SCAR... just have to play with the muzzle and stock.

Don't get me wrong... the AWB sucks.  It isn't impossible to work around, though.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:44:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are now ways to get clones of the FAL, HK91, HK94, AUG, and AR-180, and 74s aren't that expensive.
There will also be ways to post-ban a SCAR... just have to play with the muzzle and stock.
Don't get me wrong... the AWB sucks.  It isn't impossible to work around, though.
- BG

Agreed.  But it really limits options. It is just frustrating.  Especially since FFLs have to receive the gun in a post-ban configuration.  It would be much nicer if an FFL could receive a gun with ban features and then make it compliant before delivery to me, as even the "clones" DSG, PTR, MSAR, Ak-74's, etc, do their ban-compiant rifles in small batches.

Anyways, I did drive past E&B a few times in the past few days.  Trailer has moved a bit.  Seems to be some movement and clearing out.  Not expecting much yet.  Just reporting in what I saw, nothing to see here.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Snapped another picture on my way by this morning.  New sign says U.S. TRAINING CENTER.

There's some sort of logo, but I couldn't really make it out.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#30]
If you google Blackwater, you get a link for blackwaterusa.com.  When you click it, it brings you here.  U.S. Training Center.

That logo looks like what I saw on the sign, though I couldn't make it out to well.

Looks like we have some coolness coming to our sleepy little area.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Is there a range at that location too?  At the link Taboot posted there is a Careers section.  Looks like a RSO is being hired for their Salem, CT location.  

Range Safety Officer
Department: Domestic Training & Operations

Job Functions:

Insure all safety procedures are being followed
Conduct range operations with general public
Document range and weapon usage
Inspect all weapons upon entry into the range facility
Assist site manager with all range related activities
May assist with retail sales
Other duties as assigned or required

Qualifications:

High school diploma or equivalent
Have NEC 0812
Have one or more of the following qualifications: Navy NEC 9502, Navy NEC 9518 or Instructional Delivery Continuum (IDC) Journeyman Instructor Training (JIT) (A-012-0077), Instructional Delivery Continuum (IDC) Journeyman Instructor Training (JIT),  Mobile Training Team (A-012-1011), Naval Leadership Facilitator (P-012-0045), Facilitator Training Course (P-012-0075), Nuclear Instruction Qualifications (NFAS) (A-661-0108), Nuclear Instruction Qualifications (NNPS) (A-661-0109)
CUIT certification in SRF-A or SRF-B is preferred
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:05:17 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Is there a range at that location too? At the link Taboot posted there is a Careers section. Looks like a RSO is being hired for their Salem, CT location.

Indoor pistol range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#33]
With all the cars/trucks in the parking lot today they might just be open.   I was planning to stop in on the way back but drove on by and traffic was nuts so I kept on going.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Ok guys got a little update. More to come later.

Good friend of mine was there recently for a VIP day. The indoor range is now capable of 5.56 shooting. They have some tactical gear in stock but can and will order just about They are still waiting on their FFL.

Not sure of full opening date yet..
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ok guys got a little update. More to come later.

Good friend of mine was there recently for a VIP day. The indoor range is now capable of 5.56 shooting. They have some tactical gear in stock but can and will order just about They are still waiting on their FFL.

Not sure of full opening date yet..

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Tell me about it. Indoor 5.56 talk about WOOD!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:04:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Drove by yesterday.  They were open but I didn't have time to stop in.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:29:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Is this the New England Relative Suck Thread?  

Gun ownership suck factor, in decreasing order:

1) Massachusetts (no explanation needed on gun laws, Barney Fwank)
2) Connecticut (permit required for handgun, at least it is shall-issue, stupid AWB's, most NFA ok, too many damn Noo Yawkers, we pronounce all of our vowels)
3) Rhode Island (lumpy CCW issuance, no NFA, but at least no AWB, better fishing than Mass as of late)
4) Vermont (yeah, no carry laws or AWB, but no suppressors allowed, fucking Bernie Sanders)
4) Maine (shall issue CCW which allows you to carry long guns concealed, NFA allowed, lobsters for the win)
5) New Hampshire (shall-issue CCW, no AWB, NFA allowed, but gosh-awful looking fugly fat chicks and dem-tardification by spreading Masshole infection, too fucking cold in the winter).  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Drove by yesterday.  They were open but I didn't have time to stop in.

They are open???? Going to go check it out now.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:21:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is this the New England Relative Suck Thread?  

Gun ownership suck factor, in decreasing order:

1) Massachusetts (no explanation needed on gun laws, Barney Fwank)
2) Connecticut (permit required for handgun, at least it is shall-issue, stupid AWB's, most NFA ok, too many damn Noo Yawkers, we pronounce all of our vowels)
3) Rhode Island (lumpy CCW issuance, no NFA, but at least no AWB, better fishing than Mass as of late)
4) Vermont (yeah, no carry laws or AWB, but no suppressors allowed, fucking Bernie Sanders)
4) Maine (shall issue CCW which allows you to carry long guns concealed, NFA allowed, lobsters for the win)
5) New Hampshire (shall-issue CCW, no AWB, NFA allowed, but gosh-awful looking fugly fat chicks and dem-tardification by spreading Masshole infection, too fucking cold in the winter).  

The bold red parts about CT are not quite true. One can move into this state with handguns and one is not required to get a permit to possess them after move in unlike MA where you have something like 60 days to get a permit to possess handguns after moving there. This state is technically a may issue state due to the "suitability" clause found in the state pistol licensing statute.

You also left out that CT has Chris Dodd, Joe Lieberman, and Rosa DeLauro.

Everything else though is spot on. And yes, lobsters for the win.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:23:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Just went and they were closed. I snapped a few pics though. Let me see if I can get them to work on my cell.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]

That's all I got for now.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:11:59 PM EDT
[#47]
No evening hours for the indoor range?  That's kind of odd, isn't it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:53:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

No evening hours for the indoor range?  That's kind of odd, isn't it?

Maybe they are still looking for a range officer? May not be running 100%. The place is only open 6 hours a day 5 days a week.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#49]

I drove down today as well and was dissapointed to see them closed.  There must have been someone in there because the sign with the hours was crooked when I was there in the AM.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Im sitting outside of Blackwater now waiting for them to open. Stand by for AAR.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top