Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:36:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
me and my dad will be there to assemble PSL and Polish underfolder kits will there be tools to drill recievers and blanks?

Lookin' at the way it's goin', we're gonna have about 50 dremels and 20 or 30 drill presses

so yep, you'll get 'em done!

Be glad to have y'all, look forward to meetin' ya.

t
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
those with romanian G kits may wish to take them to a machine shop to get the barrel pins pressed out before the date arrives, i wish i had last time...

If they don't mind sacrificing the original pin, then drilling through (from both sides if necessary) with a 3/16" bit and then usin' a 3/16" punch knocks 'em out every time.

We ain't skeered of no pins!

Replacements are $4 from RPG. I have a few already and can bring them, we'll see if RPG wants to sell/donate some more.

t
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm being lazy here, but...

does someone have access to some Romy Kits or have another romy kit I can buy off you?  I'd pay more than what they're going for now and I'd pay for a receiver.

regardless I'll be there, since it's down the street from me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2007 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can also bring a Dremel, caliper, vise, punches, hammer, and a fan.  I'll see what else I can find to bring.  

See if you can find the other half of that AK

t

I'll have a flat by the end of the week.  My birfday is August 18, so I'll see if I can get a parts kit for my b-day.
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in.

I want to do the conversion on my Saiga 12.  I think I have everything except the rivits.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Coz, are you going to stock up on some AK parts of should I order some on line?

Thanks,

Thomas
Link Posted: 7/10/2007 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am in.

I want to do the conversion on my Saiga 12.  I think I have everything except the rivits.  Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Thomas

What do you need?

t
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I see there will be a park tank. Any access to a blasting cabinet? I have a Polish underfolder kit, reciever, and all compliance parts ready to assemble. Just need to blast and park 1st.
Link Posted: 7/13/2007 5:56:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I see there will be a park tank. Any access to a blasting cabinet? I have a Polish underfolder kit, reciever, and all compliance parts ready to assemble. Just need to blast and park 1st.

Someone mentioned a blasting cabinet in one of the threads, but keep in mind that we have 10 hours from start to finish. The other problem is having "enough" air compressor on site to push a blaster.

You might wanna hit up a local automotive starter/alternator repair shop, most of them have glass beaders.

You in Houston? Be happy to be add you to the list.

t

Link Posted: 7/13/2007 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Unfortunately, I have to come off the list.    My cousin is getting married in Louisiana, and apparently my family expects me to be there.    

Link Posted: 7/14/2007 6:26:29 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why would you need the go, no go guages? Is someone going to be putting on a barrel extension? Assembled barrels are already headspaced...but, bring em if you want...I may be able to find mine...but I never use em....

Plenty of used 20" pencil barrel uppers floating around.  Personally, I'd check if going on the cheap and using a used bolt from another rifle as well.

That's just me, tho.
Link Posted: 7/14/2007 8:03:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in.

Thanks,

Thomas

What do you need?

Email sent
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Have you guys thought of doing a Cetme or HK91 build party?  Anyone building those?
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be in comifornia, I just found out today. S$IT!
Link Posted: 7/16/2007 11:59:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know if ya'll remember me, but I'd love to get in on this.

schedule permitting, of course.
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 8:26:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/17/2007 12:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Have you guys thought of doing a Cetme or HK91 build party?  Anyone building those?

I need some help with 2 FAL's.
Link Posted: 7/18/2007 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I don't know if ya'll remember me, but I'd love to get in on this.

schedule permitting, of course.

Holler when ya figure out yer schedule, sure hope ya get to make it

t
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in.

Thanks,

Thomas

What do you need?

Email sent

I did the conversion on my saiga 12 a few months ago. Well, I watched another guy do part of it, and then I finished it.

Its not too bad. Hell, you don't even need to do rivets unless you really want to.  I just used some binding posts and screws on mine.  If I get crazy about refinishing it, I'll just have a buddy weld the posts in and spot weld the trigger guard in place before I refinish.

Other stuff you'll need are: Pistol grip, pistol grip nut, pistol grip screw, buttstock, and a trigger group.

All thats involved is removing the trigger guard and drilling another trigger guard rivet hole farther forward. On mine, the reciever already HAD the square hole cut for the pistol grip nut, so I didn't even need to do that.

Also, you just need to cut a little notch out of your US buttstock.  Takes 15 seconds on a bandsaw to make the cut.
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 4:15:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 4:18:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 5:53:45 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in.

Thanks,

Thomas

What do you need?

Email sent

I did the conversion on my saiga 12 a few months ago. Well, I watched another guy do part of it, and then I finished it.

Its not too bad. Hell, you don't even need to do rivets unless you really want to.  I just used some binding posts and screws on mine.  If I get crazy about refinishing it, I'll just have a buddy weld the posts in and spot weld the trigger guard in place before I refinish.

Other stuff you'll need are: Pistol grip, pistol grip nut, pistol grip screw, buttstock, and a trigger group.

All thats involved is removing the trigger guard and drilling another trigger guard rivet hole farther forward. On mine, the reciever already HAD the square hole cut for the pistol grip nut, so I didn't even need to do that.

Also, you just need to cut a little notch out of your US buttstock.  Takes 15 seconds on a bandsaw to make the cut.

Thanks Andy.  I should have listened more carefully when you explained all of that to me when I bought it from you!
Link Posted: 7/19/2007 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Well, count me in trueno.  I've got a Romanian G kit thats itchin to be put together.  I just don't have the tools or expertise to confidently do it on my own.

Tom, its no biggie.  If someone is bringing a drill press, a set of bits, and a grinder, thats basically all we need in the way of tools to do your saiga conversion.  Maybe a set of hand files, too.

Bandsaw isn't necessary to make the cut on the buttstock. It can be done with a hacksaw.

eta: Let me know if I can bring anything in the way of food/drink.  I'll be heading up from bee county, so I don't really care to haul a bunch of heavy tools that far.
Link Posted: 7/22/2007 2:44:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I have a pistol under construction on an FMP receiver, also have a 91 clone kit on the way. Be happy to chat with ya about 'em at the build!

t
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't have anything in need of building but I'm really gonna try and make it just to meet with old faces.

Link Posted: 7/25/2007 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Well, count me in trueno.  I've got a Romanian G kit thats itchin to be put together.  I just don't have the tools or expertise to confidently do it on my own.

Tom, its no biggie.  If someone is bringing a drill press, a set of bits, and a grinder, thats basically all we need in the way of tools to do your saiga conversion.  Maybe a set of hand files, too.

Bandsaw isn't necessary to make the cut on the buttstock. It can be done with a hacksaw.

eta: Let me know if I can bring anything in the way of food/drink.  I'll be heading up from bee county, so I don't really care to haul a bunch of heavy tools that far.

It is on then!
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 3:06:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there a rough idea of how many people are coming?
Link Posted: 7/25/2007 10:44:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a pistol under construction on an FMP receiver, also have a 91 clone kit on the way. Be happy to chat with ya about 'em at the build!

t

Well, I was just curious.  I won't be at the party as I'm only in TX during the week days.  I'm moving soon, but was just wondering as I started getting into some HK and Cetme kits recently.  Just bought a couple kits and some JLD Receivers.  

thanks though, I may PM you if I get stuck if you're available.
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Is there a rough idea of how many people are coming?

Hopefully everyone on the list including YOU!

t
Link Posted: 7/28/2007 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It is on then!

Spoke at length with Andre at the Pasadena show, he and Wayne are eager to do whatever they can to help the show...er...build party go smoothly such as offer tech etc. I've just about got him talked into setting up a table and holding a seminar of sorts. Hoping he'll share some of his AK experiences, he's got some pretty cool stories to tell, he told one today about how he, Jimmy, Ivan and Kalashnikov were hangin' out in Florida.
Seems that he and Mikhail's blond Russian translator hit it off very well LOL!

t
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Got a RomyG coming in this week, got it 95% + for $100 shipped. Other than that, nada. Will anyone have spare r922 parts and receiver flats? I just don't think I can get stuff mail ordered and delivered fast enough. I can dremel de-mill it beforehand to save time.
No real tools, just literally starting out, but can help with a fan and a folding table or 2. If ya'll want them for setting up a drink/food station outdoors. Can also probably rob a bunch of folding chairs from my City storeroom. I'd love to make it barring a City emergency as I'm not on weekend call that saturday. Even though its a 5 hr drive one way for me... which means, pregeant wife in attendance and a hotel room for HER comfort.
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Got a RomyG coming in this week, got it 95% + for $100 shipped. Other than that, nada. Will anyone have spare r922 parts and receiver flats? I just don't think I can get stuff mail ordered and delivered fast enough. I can dremel de-mill it beforehand to save time.
No real tools, just literally starting out, but can help with a fan and a folding table or 2. If ya'll want them for setting up a drink/food station outdoors. Can also probably rob a bunch of folding chairs from my City storeroom. I'd love to make it barring a City emergency as I'm not on weekend call that saturday. Even though its a 5 hr drive one way for me... which means, pregeant wife in attendance and a hotel room for HER comfort.

Global trades is local and could probably hook you up with most of what you need.
Link Posted: 7/29/2007 8:34:23 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Gosh, hate to put her through that much and you through the expense. Any other ideas/possibilities? Where are y'all located?

t

Link Posted: 7/29/2007 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I don't have anything in need of building but I'm really gonna try and make it just to meet with old faces.

Man, you know how a third hand is always needed, we'd sure appreciate any help you can offer and would be glad to have ya!

t
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'll have a flat by the end of the week.  My birfday is August 18, so I'll see if I can get a parts kit for my b-day.

You get ahold of that flat?

t
Link Posted: 7/30/2007 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

t

Yup.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:53:51 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

Great!

There aren't many but as soon as I can tie all the loose ends together I'll post an update on what tools are accounted for and a few logistics that we'll need to pay attention to.

Got a few more builders to add to the list also!

t
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#39]
By the way...where's all the AR builders?

t
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

Great!

There aren't many but as soon as I can tie all the loose ends together I'll post an update on what tools are accounted for and a few logistics that we'll need to pay attention to.

Got a few more builders to add to the list also!

t

I hope someone is bringing a bending jig and a press...
I thought I saw it on the list of equipment accounted for.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#41]
I've got one more coming with me, he has a romanian kit he wants to work on.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I hope someone is bringing a bending jig and a press...
I thought I saw it on the list of equipment accounted for.

We've got several 20 ton presses volunteered but only one will be needed, Turmantor is bringin' it, we'll use it for barrel work. As far as smaller presses, 2 would be good, we could do rivets and use flat jigs at the same time on those.

t
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've got one more coming with me, he has a romanian kit he wants to work on.

Cool! What can we call him?

t
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 2:31:20 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm gonna have to bail, gonna have to work all weekend to meet a deadline. I was really looking forward to get the ak finished too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 3:06:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I'm gonna have to bail, gonna have to work all weekend to meet a deadline. I was really looking forward to get the ak finished too.

Hey, let us know if your status changes!

thanks,

t
Link Posted: 8/4/2007 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#46]
i am going to try to attend.  i don't have an AK kit at the present, but would like to talk to those who do and see what is the best and where you get it, etc....  

i work 3rd shift so would it be better to get there early(8 or 9am) or mid afternoon(3pm-ish)?  

hope ya have a great turnout regaurdless!

S
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
i am going to try to attend.  i don't have an AK kit at the present, but would like to talk to those who do and see what is the best and where you get it, etc....  

i work 3rd shift so would it be better to get there early(8 or 9am) or mid afternoon(3pm-ish)?  

hope ya have a great turnout regaurdless!

S

You'll have a golden opportunity to learn and/or teach at this event. Whatever time is convenient for ya you can bet on plenty goin' on when ya show up. We have a 10-hour window to accomplish as much as possible si it might be a lil hectic...so don't get yer feelins hurt...nobody will be ignoin' anyone, they'll just be busy LOL!

So c'mon down and enjoy as much as you can,

t
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#48]
My flats came in, so I'll have my Romy G, compliance parts, dremel, drill/bits, angle grinder, punches/chisels, files, rivets. (Posted originally on other venue). Plan to be there barring flight delays from Afghanistan. Let me know what else I can bring--if I have it I'll bring it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:41:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
My flats came in, so I'll have my Romy G, compliance parts, dremel, drill/bits, angle grinder, punches/chisels, files, rivets. (Posted originally on other venue). Plan to be there barring flight delays from Afghanistan. Let me know what else I can bring--if I have it I'll bring it.

Furniture...lots and LOTS of furniture...

Hey, keep us posted, hopin' for stories of your "adventures"!

t
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top