Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:56:17 PM EDT
[#1]
So how did the builds go?  Pics?

I had to work, but did heat treat some during lunch.....

SRM
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#2]
It was awesome.  Good turnout and the exchange of knowledge was great.

Rolando saved the day with the press and Kyle's flat jig worked well.  Kyle and his wife were really gracious to host all of us--a huge thanks to both of them.  I also really enjoyed meeting everybody.

My Tantal still needs quite a bit of tweaking, but I got it most of the way there.  Something is binding and we couldn't quite figure out what it was.  The trunnion doesn't seem to be sitting flat in the receiver and it's throwing everything off.  Hopefully a little file and Dremel work will get it right.

A couple of guys had cameras, so I'd expect pictures soon.

Looking forward to next time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never seen so many people so focused on one thing....Bend that flat and make it go bang...
Some need more work than others..
Kyle and his wife were excellent host...Everyone cooperated and helped each other out and one press did'nt seem to be that big of an issue because of the cooperation...But 2 couldnt hurt.
Next time.
You should of seen all the smiles when that made in china HF press should up...
Seems like everyone got  the opertunity to finsh the hard to do items....Bend,,,heat treat,,,
Spotweld their flats...
And to the  guy who dropped of the spot welder..For me that was the cherry on the cake..
See ya guys later can't wait till next time...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey all,

Thanks for coming out and making my first build party so fun.  Special thanks to XJ & UXO2 for the use of the spot welder , HF press, trigger jig & barrel tools, without you, the build party would have been a bust!!  Even though we never got a finished product, I think we did pretty good.

Someone did leave behind a Dremel Kit & Safety Lever.  If these were gifts, thank you  .  Seriously, let me know and I'll make sure they find their way home.

I'm looking forward to the next build party, maybe we'll get into some sand blasting and finishing next time   .

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I had tons of fun at the build party! I will post pics of my rifle when I finish getting it put togther.

Big thanks to Kyle for hosting and Rolando for bringing his press and walking me through so much of the build.

You guys rock!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, another couple of hours with the Dremel and file, and I think I have a working firearm.  Now if I just had some 5.45x39 to try it out . . .

I've had 1K on order from SG for over a month, but it stays backordered.

I plan to get it blasted, then put on some Duracoat.

In case you're wondering, compliance parts are:  G2 FCG, piston, and grip.   I plan to get a U.S. made brake so I can put the original grip back on.

Here's some pics:

Thanks again everyone for all the help.  I never could have done my first build and had such good results on my own.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Tyler,

That's one good looking build.
Hope the range report is just as good.
Let me know how you got it blasted and the results of the Duracoat finish.

Kyle
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice work Tyler, I've gotten this far.
http://i2.tinypic.com/oqcbqd.jpg

Thanks everybody for sharing your knowledge and tools!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:35:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice work--you'll get there and then it will be time to start on the next one.

I'm already contemplating my next build.  I may actually use one of the Nodakspud economy receivers unless we have another build party soon.  I wish I would have had another couple of flats to bend on Saturday.  Also thinking about buying a press.  Maybe I can work out a deal with Kyle to do some bending before the next big get together.

I'm thinking about just taking my project down to Hickman Rifles for blasting and parkerizing.  They do good work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Tyler,

Your receiver has a nice clean look to it, how'd you clean it up?
I'm game to get together for flat bending if you'd like, I might even be able to half's on a press .
The next build party may not be till mid-late Apr some time, March is pretty busy for me.
When I use my HF sand blaster on my kit, I'll let you know how it looks.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for hosting it.  Count me in for the next one.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:23:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Kyle--I just used some 400 grit sandpaper to take off the discoloration from the heat treating.

I'll let you know what I do regarding the press--I'll probably wait until HF sends me a 20% coupon which seems to happen about once a month.

See ya

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Did you guys heat treat the top rail or just the oin holes?

SRM
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#14]
We only heat treated the ejector & 4 receiver holes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I will be coming to the next one!  This time I will have parts too, not just to watch.  If I have enough warning, I can bring another press & mapp/oxy torch.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Good deal CSM,  I'm looking at at mid-end of April time frame.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Took my build to the range today for her Christening.  I had to hunt all over creation to find some 5.45x39 ammo, but finally came up with a hundred rounds for test purposes (from Dragon Man).

I lubed everything well and headed out to the Gun Club for some quality time with the new build.  I started out with 1 round in the mag, held the rifle out in front of me a ways and pressed the trigger.  It went bang, so I loaded 2 and did it again.  Much to my pleasure, it fired and cycled the next round into the chamber.  I fired that one, then popped in a fresh 30 rounder.  At the end of 70 rounds, the gun was shooting on target and it never hiccuped.  I couldn't believe that I actually built this thing and it runs.

Check out the .21 caliber holes:

Don't mind the large spread--I was hammering on the front sight the whole time trying to get things to center up.

I was all prepared to do some expedient smithing at the range, so I brought files, punches, etc.  Glad I didn't need them.

Since everything was running so well, I just drove it over to Hickman's Rifles to get it bead blasted.  Mike popped it right in the cabinet and after about 30 minutes, it looked like this:

Tomorrow night, I'm going to spray it with Duracoat.  Hickman's recommended not letting it sit around for more than a couple of days in this condition so it doesn't start to rust.

If you're going to take something in for blasting, I'd recommend completely disassembling everything prior--it will save you a few bucks.

I'm hooked--I already bought my next kit:  a FEG SA-85 from Centerfire Systems.  Haven't decided whether I will use another flat or one of the DCI economy receivers.

Again--thanks to everyone at the build party for all the help.  I couldn't have done this on my own.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome Tyler!!!

So beadblasted and Duracoated should keep it good? No parkerizing needed?

Mine still needs a bit of work. I need some more rivets and a squeezer, plus I still need to make the large hole in the receiver for the underfolder. I will post some pics when I get it more complete.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks!

Yeah, Duracoat will protect it.  Getting it Parked would have been better, but I'm impatient.  Hickman's collects jobs that need Parking and does them all at one time.  No telling when they would have had enough to do a batch.

Are you going to build your own squeezer or buy one?  It looks fairly easy if you have a grinder.  If not, Harbor Freight has a decent 6 incher on sale for $29 this week.

When I was talking to Jeff about underfolders, he told me when he built his, he had Hickman's drill the rear hole.  Their labor rate is $45 an hour.  I can't imagine it would take more than that.  Or you could just bastardize it and put a fixed or sidefolding stock on it.

Were the rear trunnion holes pre-drilled in your flat?  If so, you may have a problem.  I've heard of guys having to get the holes welded over before drilling for the underfolder.  

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome.  Looks like you done good.  Where did you get your parts?  I am trying to decide on a parts kit and reciever manufacturer.  

ETA: I read your post, but what is G2?  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#21]
CSM,

I got my parts kit from Armory Parts Exchange here in town.  He took over the old Gun Vault location at Constitution and Powers.  He's moving to Monument soon though.  His email is [email protected].

I got the flat and compliance parts from Tapco.

G2 is Tapco's Fire Control Group (hammer, trigger, disconnector).

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#22]
That looks really good Tyler!!!, Can you give me more info on where you got it sandblasted.  I keep trying to resist the temptation to have mine chrome plated Nigerian Ganster Style.  I don't know if I can though...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Hickman's Rifles did the bead blast on mine.  They only do glass beads--no aluminum oxide or sand.

They are at 411-B Tia Juana St.  The way I get there is to head west on Platte and right before the Fargo Pizza, turn left on Tia Juana.  The shop is just past the stop sign on the left.  They're closed on Mondays.  Best time to go is after 3pm because most of their smiths have day jobs.

They also do bluing and parkerizing if that gets you excited (not nearly as cool as gangsta chrome though).
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Tyler,

Any updates on how the Duracoating went?
What color did you choose?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm actually going to do it tonight.  I'm going to go with the HK semi-gloss.

I'll put up some more pics when I get it done and reassembled.

I'm wondering if you could just do your blasting in a big cardboard box with the Harbor Freight cheapie blaster so you wouldn't lose all your media.  Definitely have to wear a respirator though.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I have an old Army gas mask that would work for a respirator & eye pretoection
I was thinking of using some plastic drop clothes funneling down into a large tub for media collection.  I already have the HF cheapie blaster & 25lbs of aluminium oxide.  I may have a new project to tinker on this Sat.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:30:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Just finished the Duracoat.  

I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner, used the compressor to blow it dry, then sprayed it all down with Jasco Metal Prep.  The Jasco Prep is a Phosphoric Acid solution that is supposed to etch the metal and help the paint adhere.  After I let it sit for a couple of hours, I wiped off what was left and sprayed everything down with brake cleaner again.  I used my propane heater to warm everything up and mixed up the Duracoat.  

Took about an hour to get everything coated good.  It's hanging up in the basement drying now.  I'll probably wait a couple of days before trying to reassemble everything.  I've gotten impatient doing AR-15s before and dinged up the paint.

Here's a bad pic:

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:52:57 AM EDT
[#28]
That looks like a nice finish Tyler.
Great job!!!!

Hope mine turns out as good looking
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Tyler-

How much did the bead blast cost?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#30]
It was $45, but would have been half that if I had been smart and disassembled everything before dropping it off.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Well .....Tyler2you got his Tantal up and running....
Heres my ....was going tobe a ROMY pistol .....but I did'nt like the feel so I added a fake can to make it legal length.....
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/uxo/6a126bc4.jpg
i37.photobucket.com/albums/e94/uxo/fe7f853b.jpg
It has a Tantal side fold stock ,,polish laminated Handguards and a romanian leather sling that I got off the EE boards....
I was in a hury and used a Hi temp duplicoat paint....I ran out of air for my air brush....
But it will come off when I sand blast it....
For those of you still working on yours......Take your time to fit it all to gether....
A dremil is a GOOD friend to have around....
Thanks Kyle for your jig.....and garage
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice job--have you test fired it yet?

UXO2 is definitely right about the Dremel--there's lots of fitting to do with a bent flat.

Maybe next time I'll try building on a GT or DCI 100% receiver.  Probably not nearly as satisfying.

I think I'll also try a home Parkerizing on my next build.  Just need to find some stainless pans.

Take care all.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Head space is good....But tring to make time and find ammo......
I have a new 1mm  unmolested GT 7.62 reciver ...
I've been kicking around the idea of selling or trading....Have'nt decided for how much seeing that they are hard to come by...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#34]
I have been looking at the same thing.  Easiest place for stainless pans is ebay.  Look at used resturant equipment, stainless steaming pans.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:06:22 AM EDT
[#35]
UXO2,
that's a nice looking rifle you have there.  I've built 2 from the flats I bent at the build party and almost have a third completed.  I'm waiting on a range test before I put the semi-gloss black finish on.  The rifle I had completed before the build (my first build ever) may be able to be saved.  I did order a new bolt carrier and will give'er a try when it arrives, oh, I also put the hammer in correctly.  
Other than that, all has been good.   You're right about the dremel, great tool for the job.  I did order some more US compliant parts like gas psitons, muzzle breaks, time to throw them on.  Here some pics.

The fit is the best on the green furniture one, but the others aren't bad.
I'm waiting on a Romy sidefolding stock to put on the receiver/barrel peice I have.
Also, I'm planning on getting a black furniture set from K-Var, just haven't gotten round to it.

So who's going to be game for another build party in April?

Later all,
Kyle

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:33:08 AM EDT
[#36]
wow!  that looks fun... i know nothing about building an AK, but i would like to learn how.  maybe next time i can stop by to say hi and learn.  then buy a kit myself for a future build.  

what does the kit usually consist of?  and did you guys bend your receivers?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
wow!  that looks fun... i know nothing about building an AK, but i would like to learn how.  maybe next time i can stop by to say hi and learn.  then buy a kit myself for a future build.  

what does the kit usually consist of?  and did you guys bend your receivers?

I knew exactly nothing about building an AK when I showed up at Kyle's house last weekend. I now know just a little bit more than nothing, but that didn't stop me from starting a build. (I am still waiting on some parts, or I would be done).  What I am saying is, come to the next build and bring a kit with you!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#38]
what does a kit usually consist of?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
what does a kit usually consist of?

You will need a parts kit, a flat & rails, compliance parts (G2 fire control group, gas piston, and pistol grip), and a rivet set.

There are some links on the first page to some vendors. I got my parts kit locally, and ordered the rest from Tapco.

Romaninan parts kit = $100
Compliance parts = $60
Flat & Rails = $15
Rivet Set = $10
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 3:15:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Wow Kyle--you're one prolific builder!  You must be cloning those things.

Nice work.  Now the big question--do you have ammo to feed those things?

I'm still waiting on SG to ship me some so I can go play.  As it stands, I've got a whopping 20 rounds of 5.45X39 and 60 rounds of 7.62X39 to my name.  If only I had a 5.56X45 build.  I've got that stuff stacked pretty deep.

I'm in for the next build party and will have more tools to bring.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Yep, I have about 1K of 7.62X39 and another 2k coming from SG (sometime in 2006).
I scored 20 mags from SG last year, I think it worked out to be $3 per mag, screaming deal and the mags are in great shape, glad I got it when I did.  My main goal is to keep all the rifles the same caliber and build a wooden fixed stock, underfolder, sidefolder, green adjustable furniture, back furniture & pistol.  Then whatever my wife wants me to build for her.  I may build a few with different finished woods on them.  I want to take the Romy forward grip and shave it down to something smaller, like what you have.  With the build party and all the great people attending (so we don't individually have to buy every tool needed), the price of each individual weapon goes down the more you build.  So you spread the total cost of the builds across several instead of a couple, made sense to me .  That's how I justify it at least, ha-ha.  

Tyler, just give me a buzz when you want to get the flat jig.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Kyle,
Unless I am mistaken, I think she is more than capable of building her own.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:38:02 AM EDT
[#43]
SRM,

You're right, she is , but I may help.
How are your kits coming along?

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Well, I'm about done, still waiting for my shepards crook and hand guards (I really didn't like the ROMY front pistol grip), but then I'm ready for a test firing!
http://i2.tinypic.com/qx5iyg.jpg
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#45]
when is the next build?  a buddy of mine has his own automotive repair/performance shop and he's willing to host a build there.  now remember we know nothing about building AK's so we are looking for a lot of help and direction.  his shop is big enough and has tools, welder, etc.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
SRM,

You're right, she is , but I may help.
How are your kits coming along?

Just tweaking a few this week.

SRM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is a dumb question - I know nothing about building AKs - but isn't the receiver that you're fabricating the "registered" part of the weapon?  Are you creating a new weapon, or is it the fire control group or some other component that serves as the registered weapon?  Just curious about the legal aspects of this - I saw some parts kits at the Tanner show yesterday, but this is the first time I've ever seen how the building process works.  Very interesting - thanks for sharing the photos!

Dave
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:45:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey Dave,

You're right, the receiver we make is what would be considered the registered part.  But since we make our own receiver, we take ownership of the rifle, so we can never sell it or transfer it to anyone else.  You can build from a flat or pre-bent receiver, both are classified as 80% finished and don't require paperwork to build.  You can also purchase 100% receivers like you would a regular firearm and build a kit on that, but with a flat & rivet set costing $20, many build from that.

The 16 countable parts of an AK rifle. No more than 10 of these parts may be imported - Section 922(r)

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments(flash hiders, brakes, barrel extensions, barrel nuts)
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

Part #'s 1,4,7,8,9,10,11,12,13 are the most commonly available U.S. manufactured parts.

On a typical stamped receiver rifle you need to replace 5 parts with no muzzle attachment and 6 parts with a muzzle attachment.

On a typical milled recevier rifle you need to replace 4 parts with no muzzle attachment and 5 parts with a muzzle attachment, because there isn't a barrel trunion, it is part of the receiver.

When building an AK pistol, these regulations do not apply. You can not have a stock or forward pistol grip on a pistol.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top