Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 11/26/2018 12:35:55 PM EDT
...well, ok--they're NOT the original Mil. M2A1 ammo cans, but knock offs, like a lot of then are today.

My local Tractor Supply Company (Ravenna) had .50 cal ammo cans on sale this weekend for $7.99. They are TSC's "in-house" brand, labelled "Tree Line," with a "T-L" embossed on the can. They are advertised as:

"Corrosion resistant paint with a water tight seal."

The-above is also printed on the bottom of each can in a peel on label by the Chinaman.

TSC Treeline .50 cal Ammo Cans @ $7.99

So, I buy a couple dozen. In fact, I clean them out of their stock. Decent price, I thought. seeing as how other Chinese .65 cal cans are listed at $19.99.

Every batch of ammo cans I buy, I give them my totally un-scientific test as follows:

1. get clean 5 gallon plastic bucket
2. fill with clean water
3. plunge closed ammo can into bucket full of water
4. place small piece if 4 x 4 onto top of ammo can
5. snap lid on 5 gallon bucket (the 4 x 4 allows the entire can to go underwater)
6. wait 15-30 minutes
7. pull out ammo can and inspect for leakage, if any.

Some guys use their bathtub, 55 gal. drum, a feed or watering tub, whatever....

I've done this "test" with every batch of ammo cans that I've bought. All passed..

EXCEPT THESE FROM TRACTOR SUPPLY!

Opened the cans, and there was at least one inch and sometimes two inches of water in the cans!!! Earlier testing on gunshow cans:

Back we go to Ravenna TSC for a return/refund.

BUYER BEWARE OF THE CHINAMAN .50 Cal ammo cans!

P.S.
Grandkid asked me: "Gampy--whatcha doin'?" and I explained all to him.

Little tyke said: "Just pour a cup or two of water into the can. close the lid, turn it upside down, and see if it leaks."

Out of the mouth of babes! There is hope for me in the future of the world with smart kids like that!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw those posted online as well and was considering giving them a shot. I’ll pass now. Thanks for the report! Smart grandkid you got there.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I put an inch of water in my wally world cans and 2/3 leaked.
Haven't tried the TSC or Rural King ones yet.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My rural king ones seem to be difficult to open after the season change. I.e. the hot summer air condensed and is now a vacuum, thusly sealed.

They also seem to get that stale ammo can smell after a while.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
After searching high and low for good .50 cal ammo cans, I settled on the "Blackhawk!" branded ones offered by AIM. The best price by far, and made here in America.

I've seen those cans you've tested OP, I think I'll pass.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Roger that, Men!
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Price drop on these--(almost $2.00 less in a short time)--does TSC know something we don't know?

(I returned all of mine.)

TSC  "Treeline" Ammo Cans now $6.39 each
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Could.. not.. resist.

It came out to like $6.75/each after tax. Even if they aren’t completely sealed and waterproof they will work for the short term storage. I had to fo.

ETA: I read that someone said the seals on these are a bit stiff and attribute that to the problems you mentioned. Seems that one guy sprayed some CLP on the seals and let it sit a day. I believe he then wiped it off and applied some heat with a heat gun. Again, I’ll just use them for short term stuff so it doesn’t really matter.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top