Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2021 10:20:39 AM EDT
I might end up with $400k for property, this would be from the sale of property in another state and I’ve been thinking about it for the last week.
Do I buy a condo to rent out?
Lake house for weekends?
Or buy hunting property?

Rentals mean I need to have a pro setup the accounts and deal with renters and taxes and I wouldn’t enjoy it until I’m retired and have that income.  Rates are low so maybe it’s smart.
The property being sold is very close to a lake but it’s 1000 miles away from me and I don’t see it now, nor do I care about visiting CA to see it.
Hunting property sounds like fun, but I bet it’s a lot of work. I’m not sure what kind of taxes I’d end up paying so a few buddies could take a axis deer and or pig a few times a year.  Is there a smart way to do it where the land can be leased out for farming on a few acres so it pays for the taxes?   Do I allow friends of family to shoot on the property?  What is the “convey 50% of minerals of any” mean?
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately $400k won't buy much anymore unless it is way out in the boondocks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unfortunately $400k won't buy much anymore unless it is way out in the boondocks.
View Quote

That is what I would be putting down on the property but boondocks isn't so bad unless it is on the border.  I was on one of those lots looking into mexico and deer feeders as far as the eye can see.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 1:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Really depends on whether you want it as primarily an investment or something you plan to regularly enjoy. If investing,  look for marketability as a rental. Lots of those in Florida if you want to occasionally enjoy a week there as renters pay for your beach side condo.

If you would rather have a place to shoot and do outdoor stuff, find some land with water and preferably with electricity close by. If it's decent land, you can absolutely lease it out for cattle or hay farming to more than pay the taxes. There are rules about leasing for hunting, but easy to comply with. If you lease it for hunting, i suggest you have releases signed and hunters purchasing insurance that covers you based on the written lease. Depending on where it is, you can lease it to multiple people for different purposes during the year, such as cattle, deer and turkey hunting, duck hunting.

If you plan to use it yourself regularly and have guests shooting, just make dang sure of having a safe backstop and supervise anyone of questionable skill or devotion to safety.

Sounds like owner is either willing to convey 1/2 of the mineral rights or 1/2 of the mineral rights he owns, which can be drastically different rights. Be sure and that point is often negotiable (up to the amount the current property owner has).
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Really depends on whether you want it as primarily an investment or something you plan to regularly enjoy. If investing,  look for marketability as a rental. Lots of those in Florida if you want to occasionally enjoy a week there as renters pay for your beach side condo.

If you would rather have a place to shoot and do outdoor stuff, find some land with water and preferably with electricity close by. If it's decent land, you can absolutely lease it out for cattle or hay farming to more than pay the taxes. There are rules about leasing for hunting, but easy to comply with. If you lease it for hunting, i suggest you have releases signed and hunters purchasing insurance that covers you based on the written lease. Depending on where it is, you can lease it to multiple people for different purposes during the year, such as cattle, deer and turkey hunting, duck hunting.

If you plan to use it yourself regularly and have guests shooting, just make dang sure of having a safe backstop and supervise anyone of questionable skill or devotion to safety.

Sounds like owner is either willing to convey 1/2 of the mineral rights or 1/2 of the mineral rights he owns, which can be drastically different rights. Be sure and that point is often negotiable (up to the amount the current property owner has).
View Quote

Sound advice.  I was considering helping out a few vets coming home and wanting to hunt but liability issues might make it difficult.  $400k isn't a lot, but would like to have access to hunting property and a place to shoot.  I guess its smart to find a place where the neighbors are full time ranchers so they can help keep an eye on things in exchange for free grazing or whatever its called.  No doubt, it needs to have water or it will be worthless.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#6]
---
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top