Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2018 2:00:06 PM EDT
I live on the east side of King Co. I typically run the federal 36 gr HP from Walmart for target ammo in my S&W model 18. Is there any other cheep .22 ammo I should give a try? Where is the best place to by it? I go through 550 rounds a week, so cheep ammo is my preference.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I just last week picked up one of the federal 550 round packs at the lake Stevens walmart for $20
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#2]
$95.  Federal® Bulk .22 LR Ammunition – Per 1,625
https://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2646717
Use "FREESHIP" for free shipping.

Not the Walmart deal, but still decent, and available.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always had good results with the Blazer Silver Box 22LR. Palmetto has been putting this stuff on sale recently, so I've been stocking up.

PSA: CCI Blazer 22LR 40GR
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know how close you are to a Sportsmans Warehouse but they have large inventories of 22lr again and the price is finally getting below 30 bucks for 500.

I know it has horrible reviews but we've been shooting a metric ton of Remington Thunderbolt the last year or two.   Even in competitions it's been very reliable for us in several different rifles and pistols.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know how close you are to a Sportsmans Warehouse but they have large inventories of 22lr again and the price is finally getting below 30 bucks for 500.

I know it has horrible reviews but we've been shooting a metric ton of Remington Thunderbolt the last year or two.   Even in competitions it's been very reliable for us in several different rifles and pistols.
View Quote
There is a sportsmans Warehouse down it Tacoma. I pass by there whenever I head to the south sound. I will check it out. I am not interested in any online ordering of ammo. The shipping costs, and hazmatt costs keep the price to high for me.....
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There is a sportsmans Warehouse down it Tacoma. I pass by there whenever I head to the south sound. I will check it out. I am not interested in any online ordering of ammo. The shipping costs, and hazmatt costs keep the price to high for me.....
View Quote
Lots of places have free shipping on ammo.  And I've never had to pay a hazmat fee on any ammo from anywhere.

Anyway the copper coated Federal 22LR has always been my favorite.  The uncoated lead Automatch seems to cycle fine but it's accuracy really sucks (especially for having match in the name).  Blazer is really good too, as well as all the variations of CCI.

Stay away from Remington golden bullets and stay FAR away from Remington thunderbolts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I only buy from those who offer free shipping and if they know what they are doing, there is no hazmat fee to charge.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got 5,000 rounds from PSA, free shipping, for $199.  Blazer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I just got 5,000 rounds from PSA, free shipping, for $199.  Blazer.
View Quote
I did the math. That is more expensive than the Federal with the copper plating that Walmart sells for $20/550. Do you feel it is better ammo, or that it shoots better in your gun?
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 2:47:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I did the math. That is more expensive than the Federal with the copper plating that Walmart sells for $20/550. Do you feel it is better ammo, or that it shoots better in your gun?
View Quote
I've been shooting the CCI Blazer Silver box 22lr for about 8 years now. Aside from Mini Mag, I feel like the blazer has been the most reliable through my 22 rifles and pistols. My last bulk box of federal champion had a very high number of bad primers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 5:29:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Ive been going for just over a month but Sportco in Fife had a good supply of .22 last time I was there.  Could always check out SGA as well

Sir James...
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
All my .22's shoot the Blazer ammo really well. It's good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 12:50:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
My cost was $199.00 delivered with no tax.  Was the $20.00 your out the door price after tax?  I didn't have to drive anywhere, wait in line, and I got 5,000 rounds at one time sent to my office at work.  No hassle, no fuss, no muss, no extra side trips for ammo.  Just had to cart the box out to my truck after my assistant signed for it.  Will they sell you 10 boxes at once or do you have to make multiple trips?  What's the cost of that?  You are correct, you saved about 4/1000's of a dollar per round, but did you really after taking these other factors into account?  I'm a banker and use math once in a while, and get paid for it.  (Just ribbing you a bit in good fun)

Blazer works great, and that Federal ammo does as well.  For me it came down to convenience, cost, reliability, and the ability to stack a few 5,000 round unbroken cases of ammo in my ammo storage.  I also wasn't in a hurry since I already have about 19,000 rounds on hand so slow shipping wasn't an issue.  Makes it easy to just order two cases a month for the next few months and I should be good for a very very long time.

One plus you did have is that you got to experience Walmart.  Sadly, I didn't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always liked CCI Blazers.  It works well with my Ruger 10/22s and S&W M41 and S&W M18.  So, at $199.90, of course I bought the CCI Blazers from PSA.

Then, I've also recently bought GECO Std Velocity 40 grn. lead from Target Sports USA for $205 a case.  Free Shipping when you buy it by the case.  I haven't used it in my S&W M41 yet.

Since you're shooting your 22LR ammo out of a revolver you may not care but, reliable functioning of my 22LR ammo has always been a priority for me.  BTW, during my testing, Fed Auto Match (not in the picture) didn't function as well and it's more expensive than the GECO or CCI Blazer.

Of course your results may/might/will probably vary.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've always liked CCI Blazers.  It works well with my Ruger 10/22s and S&W M41 and S&W M18.  So, at $199.90, of course I bought the CCI Blazers from PSA.

Then, I've also recently bought GECO Std Velocity 40 grn. lead from Target Sports USA for $205 a case.  Free Shipping when you buy it by the case.  I haven't used it in my S&W M41 yet.

Since you're shooting your 22LR ammo out of a revolver you may not care but, reliable functioning of my 22LR ammo has always been a priority for me.  BTW, during my testing, Fed Auto Match (not in the picture) didn't function as well and it's more expensive than the GECO or CCI Blazer.

Of course your results may/might/will probably vary.

https://s19.postimg.cc/whqs5qsoj/22_LR_Test_1.jpg

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. Out of the M18 I don't have to worry about reliability, but I am planning on getting a .22 LR conversion for my 1911. So, some day that will be a consideration.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can understand your situation.....
CCI SV was recently about $260 a case with free shipping from Brownells.
GECO Bolt is $205 a case at Target Sports USA w/free shipping.

Besides the CCI Blazer from PSA, I also stocked up on the GECO Bolt.

Aloha, Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top