Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2023 4:36:32 PM EDT
which police depts and agencys used the beretta 92fs police special? or is there a list of L.E. that used them posted online anywhere? thanks!
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
We used the 96 for a few years during the 40 cal craze.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#2]
OSP, US MIL, LAPD, Ect....back in the day.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stryfe] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alacop:
We used the 96 for a few years during the 40 cal craze.
View Quote

AIM just put some LE trade in 96s up for sale
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 5:54:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#4]
I have a used 92FS (made in 2004) that I bought from a retailer in PA that, at one time, was a Marine Corps issued pistol. It still has the rack number on it. I also have a 96G (made in 1998) that used to be a Florida Highway Patrol pistol.
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The Beretta was quite popular in police circles back in the day.  The Police Special was just marketing.  I doubt any department specifically adopted the Police Special.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#6]
My department used 92 Centurions from 1993-2000.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have an NOPD trade in 92F. I had a trade in PS several years back. Belonged to some department in Arkansas. I can’t remember which.
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#8]
St Louis City PD uses the 92F.
University City PD uses the 92 with the rail,(92x?).
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 10:29:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quite a few.  It was pretty popular at one time.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I think police specials were more of a bulk buy budget option, cardboard box vs plastic type thing. They have the little shield on the slide with ps inside. Not other differences. Could be f, g, or d models.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 2:04:19 PM EDT
[#11]
LAPD and LASD were big users of the Beretta for many years. The police specials were bulk buys mostly coming with night sights so I'm sure those are the models they ordered.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:20:33 PM EDT
[#12]
NC HIGHWAY Patrol used Beretta 92F back in the 90s. I have one so marked.
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Departments around here have a wide list of approved pistols bc LE buy their own.  My dad carried a 92FS for around 29 of his 38 years at Harris County Sheriff's Office (Houston). I carried a 96G Elite for my last couple years at Houston PD.
Link Posted: 4/2/2023 7:38:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
I think police specials were more of a bulk buy budget option, cardboard box vs plastic type thing. They have the little shield on the slide with ps inside. Not other differences. Could be f, g, or d models.
View Quote

This. The PS came in a cardboard box with a PS engraved in the slide and three magazines as I recall. I was never a cop but my local shop was definitely fast and loose on who they considered to be qualified for the pricing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:54:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

This. The PS came in a cardboard box with a PS engraved in the slide and three magazines as I recall. I was never a cop but my local shop was definitely fast and loose on who they considered to be qualified for the pricing.
View Quote

Besides PS shield engraved on the left side of the slide, there is a P in a shield stamp on the right side of the trigger guard. That's the earlier PS model. Later one appear to have the normal slide and frame markings.

So, it is basically a marketing thing other mentioned. Exactly the same gun available to buy publicly and not designated for LEO only.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I carried one when I worked in law enforcement
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:07:15 PM EDT
[#17]
They were popular in Maryland law enforcement in the 90s, with factory being in Accokeek.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Czechers:
Departments around here have a wide list of approved pistols bc LE buy their own.  My dad carried a 92FS for around 29 of his 38 years at Harris County Sheriff's Office (Houston). I carried a 96G Elite for my last couple years at Houston PD.
View Quote

I thought this post deserved a pic of dad's well loved service pistol from our range trip yesterday.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/24/2023 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Pa state police carried the 96 at one point
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I remember Arlington TX PD using Beretta 92’s back in the 90’s. Seen footage from L.A. back then with the same. That’s all I got
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 7:58:45 AM EDT
[#21]
The question was who used PS Berettas, not just Berettas.  Reading is fundamental.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Not 100% sure what PS 92 is...

A friend who was on with Saint Louis City purchased a non-issued Beretta 92D, but it is not the typical 92D. The box says LET BER92D, SPEC0019B M92 Special-Saint Louis Police Dept.
It is marked 92G on the slide and the safety and decocker do noting. It does have a D hammer. Mags are marked LEO only (15 RD). It was quite the find.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By jrs93accord:
I have a used 92FS (made in 2004) that I bought from a retailer in PA that, at one time, was a Marine Corps issued pistol. It still has the rack number on it. I also have a 96GT (made in 1998) that used to be a Florida Highway Patrol pistol.
View Quote

How did a USMC gun end up surplus on the civilian market? Never heard of that?
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 7:33:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: scottrh2] [#24]
Originally Posted By FightingHellfish:

View Quote

The reason you have not heard of that is because it does not happen.  A 92FS…mind you not a M9…..with rack numbers does not make a Marine pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Good question. I have no idea. I was happy to pick it up for only $300.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 10:09:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By scottrh2:

The reason you have not heard of that is because it does not happen.  A 92FS…mind you not a M9…..with rack numbers does not make a Marine pistol.
View Quote

The information conveyed to me on this pistol was by the retailer/distributor in Pennsylvania. I know that they did get a lot of police dept. trade-ins. Of course, that still does not answer the question about it being a former Marine Corps pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
No idea whether Police Special were actually sold to any PD to fulfill LEO contracts, or just a marketing thing Beretta did. PS or not, it was just a regular 92FS with an extra shield rollmark on the left side of the slide.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 3:24:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BikKat] [#28]
I also have a 92G from my local Police department (Columbia, MO) with their shield on it, not sure if it says PS or not. I will look when at home tonight.

UPDATE: It does not have the PS.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:28:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BikKat:
Not 100% sure what PS 92 is...

A friend who was on with Saint Louis City purchased a non-issued Beretta 92D, but it is not the typical 92D. The box says LET BER92D, SPEC0019B M92 Special-Saint Louis Police Dept.
It is marked 92G on the slide and the safety and decocker do noting. It does have a D hammer. Mags are marked LEO only (15 RD). It was quite the find.

Steve
View Quote

PS stand for "Police Special," the edition of the 92FS that's under discussion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#30]
@Miami_JBT
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:09:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Miami_JBT] [#31]
I have a Police Special. They're run of the mill Beretta 92FS, some were marked "PS" in a shield on the slide. Others weren't (mine was not "PS" marked). They came in a cardboard box and three magazines. At some point in their production, they came from the factory with factory Trijicon night sights installed. Mine is such a gun, it came with Trijicon night sights.

Here is an example of a "PS" marked gun and the packaging.

Other than the "PS" marking. Mine gun is exactly as seen in this example. Same box, same grips, same Trijicon night sights, same three factory 15rd magazines.

They were offered as a bulk deal to agencies and also an individual officer purchase program. The cardboard box reduced the overall cost and the gun was shipped with three magazines.

If an individual officer purchased one and was killed in the line of duty while using one. I recall Beretta would have donated $25k to the family of the officer.

A number of agencies issued them out. I personally know that the University of Florida PD issued Police Special Berettas since my gun was a UFPD Surplus Purchase. Again, the Police Special wasn't anything special. It was mostly a packaging and promotional deal. Internally, the guns are no different than any other Accokeek, MD
commercially made 92FS. Some guns were marked, most weren't. So, there are a ton of Police Specials floating around on the market as police surplus guns that unless you dig through Beretta's internal records. You wouldn't know since they're exactly the same as every other Beretta 92FS.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:40:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
I have a Police Special. They're run of the mill Beretta 92FS, some were marked "PS" in a shield on the slide. Others weren't (mine was not "PS" marked). They came in a cardboard box and three magazines. At some point in their production, they came from the factory with factory Trijicon night sights installed. Mine is such a gun, it came with Trijicon night sights.

Here is an example of a "PS" marked gun and the packaging.

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/13268/13828435_2.jpg

https://dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net/i/13268/13828435_1.jpg?v=8CF5F367EB31EB0

Other than the "PS" marking. Mine gun is exactly as seen in this example. Same box, same grips, same Trijicon night sights, same three factory 15rd magazines.

They were offered as a bulk deal to agencies and also an individual officer purchase program. The cardboard box reduced the overall cost and the gun was shipped with three magazines.

If an individual officer purchased one and was killed in the line of duty while using one. I recall Beretta would have donated $25k to the family of the officer.

A number of agencies issued them out. I personally know that the University of Florida PD issued Police Special Berettas since my gun was a UFPD Surplus Purchase. Again, the Police Special wasn't anything special. It was mostly a packaging and promotional deal. Internally, the guns are no different than any other Accokeek, MD
commercially made 92FS. Some guns were marked, most weren't. So, there are a ton of Police Specials floating around on the market as police surplus guns that unless you dig through Beretta's internal records. You wouldn't know since they're exactly the same as every other Beretta 92FS.
View Quote

Lol, I KNEW you'd know all about it!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#33]
This thread inspired me to dig out my LE surplus 92FS. It has the night sights and the PS marking. I never knew what the PS meant.

It also has some weird grip panels that are smooth but have a cosmetic “crinkle” look that I’ve never seen on other berettas.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#34]
This thread inspired me to dig out my LE surplus 92FS. It has the night sights and the PS marking. I never knew what the PS meant.

It also has some weird grip panels that are smooth but have a cosmetic "crinkle" look that I've never seen on other berettas.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/64501/982F3CCD-C0D7-4B0B-83CC-E34E841F7CAE_jpe-2829796.JPG
View Quote
Those grips were Beretta OEM and came on a couple of Italian made guns.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:09:23 AM EDT
[#35]
awesome info. i have several variations now of surplus ps in shield. did all have the warning retract slide text and skinny dust cover or do pre warning label versions exist?
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#36]
It looks like it has a straight dust cover like the M9.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AK47_COMMBLOC:
awesome info. i have several variations now of surplus ps in shield. did all have the warning retract slide text and skinny dust cover or do pre warning label versions exist?
View Quote
No, mine has the slanted dust cover.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top