Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2020 11:48:01 AM EDT
I have years of practice with drawing from the hip between 3-4, usually OWB holsters. But recently we've been planning more road trips and I'm giving less and less of a shit about printing or people seeing I have a gun. I know shoulder holsters are great for driving and if you're seated a lot, so I'm starting to investigate getting something like that.

I have a shoulder holster for a steel 38 and I've never gotten it to feel like it vanished. I think it's the fat cylinder and wood grips but I'm unwilling to change those for historical reasons. So now I'm thinking about a vertical holster for a 1911. I was wondering if people have experience with these and tips or suggestions.

I don't want to spend $200+ on a quality rig and find out I hate it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Like most guys, I’ve had a wide range of holsters over the years. My Galco Jackass rig quickly became my “go to” shoulder holster when I was driving a lot.

ETA: I carried either a full sized 1911 or a Glock 35. The angle of carry and weight distribution with 2 spare mags on the off side worked well for me.

I was never real happy with the draw from a vertical shoulder holster.  

By a lot, I mean in excess of 50k miles every year.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 11:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Man I loved my Galco Jackass and my Ted Blocker Miami Classic. They were horizontal draw. For my GP100 I have a Bianchi 9R style (inverted) that’s great.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people go down the shoulder holster road.  Most turn right around and go back where they came from.  It works for some people in some situations, driving probably being the most common.  

The biggest problem with shoulder rigs is you can't go cheap.  You'll have $200 wrapped up in the project before you even know if you like them or not.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested in one for my 1911. I spend a lot of time with bulky jackets on, and a lot of time driving. Is the Galco jackass good? It seems to ride under the armpit pretty far, are there options out there that present the gun more at a breast position?
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Try a Craft Roto shoulder rig.  They are top notch.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:04:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm interested in one for my 1911. I spend a lot of time with bulky jackets on, and a lot of time driving. Is the Galco jackass good? It seems to ride under the armpit pretty far, are there options out there that present the gun more at a breast position?
View Quote

I have one. It is a nice holster. For what you said with regards to jackets and driving, that is the niche where it works well.

I rarely use mine. Haven't carried it in the last 3 years I'd say. If you are already used to IWB, a shoulder holster can be a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want this for long hours driving, why not a chest holster?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bingo. Vehicles (and hiking for civilians) are the only time I recommend a chest mounted holster. Personally I never recommend shoulder holsters. You flag everyone when you draw, and you still don't look like James Bond.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:09:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bingo. Vehicles (and hiking for civilians) are the only time I recommend a chest mounted holster. Personally I never recommend shoulder holsters. You flag everyone when you draw, and you still don't look like James Bond.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've not been looking at chest holsters because I like the idea of throwing a flannel or similar summer weight shirt over whatever I'm wearing at rest stops or gas stations and such. I give less of a shit about printing but not quite sure I want to be running around with a gun on a chest mount visible.

Since posting I did get a tanker style holster that I surprisingly like a lot. Seems to carry about where the shoulder holster would but will the weight just straight down on one shoulder.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you're flagging everyone while drawing you need some instructions on how to draw.

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you conceal it when you stop to pump gas or anything?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:26:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I just recently bought a Galco 'Classic Lite shoulder system for Sig P226, P220, etc' it fits my Tanfo Witness Polymer-frame like a glove. It was almost right away that I fell in love with it, after wearing around the house and getting it adjusted just right.

For 'winter' carry, it's one of my go-to rigs. Conceals decently under a simple zip-down sweatshirt, super comfortable, don't dig or pinch anywhere. The only 'upgrade' I'm doing with mine is adding a double-mag carrier to replace the single, got one coming from Falco Holsters (they do custom work). It'll be a horizontal-draw for spare mags rather than vertical as well.

Sure I used to share the same phobia that many comment about: "Bro you're flagging everyone bro!"

It's really a non-factor if you practice proper draw technique and use a dependable firearm. For the most part, Joe-public doesn't see/know you're carrying anything, so that don't matter. The only time you could potentially 'flag' people is during the draw, this part is the most upsetting/unsettling for most. If you have your own private range to train on, that would be a good place to practice drawing from concealment. Otherwise on most public ranges, probably not going to be able to do live-fire draw.

But in reality, people carry guns in bags, fanny-packs, purses, etc. With the guns facing horizontal "FLAGGING EVERYONE BRO!"... It's a concern, but nothing to live in morbid-fear over. Just practice drawing a bit, get used to the thumb-break style holsters. And if you want even more extra 'safety'; carry a gun with a manual safety and a double-action trigger. I know this goes against the hive (Glock 19 solution for everything), but a quality double-action (DA/SA) with a good ambi-safety is a solid choice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Put a jacket on. Maybe a heavier flannel with every other button buttoned so you can Wrestling Man ™ your shirt off if you need your gun.
Someone asks 'what's the bump on your chest?' you answer 'pacemaker'.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top