Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2020 10:12:12 AM EDT
I finally got mine set up and adjusted and I have to say, Holy hell! I've been walking around in sweat pants for the better part of an hour and it's surprisingly comfortable. No weight on my hip, no leather straps crossing over my spine. It's not coming out in a hurry but it's a really comfy way to walk around with 4 pounds of steel.

With a half zipped sweatshirt it's actually concealing it very well.

For those of you that haven't made the $26 leap into historical holsters I advise you to try them out!
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly is a Taker Holster, like an under the shoulder Miami Vice style holster?
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought this would be pawn shop guy lol
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I finally got mine set up and adjusted and I have to say, Holy hell! I've been walking around in sweat pants for the better part of an hour and it's surprisingly comfortable. No weight on my hip, no leather straps crossing over my spine. It's not coming out in a hurry but it's a really comfy way to walk around with 4 pounds of steel.

With a half zipped sweatshirt it's actually concealing it very well.

For those of you that haven't made the $26 leap into historical holsters I advise you to try them out!
View Quote

Yes, I want one.   $26.00 Link please?   The one pictured above is $87.00
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Any issues with drawing it when not attached to a belt (i.e. sweat pants)?

I'm wearing shorts or sweats 95% of the time around the house so being able to carry at home hasn't worked well.  Occasionally I'll use my shoulder holster and G21 but it's big and bulky.  A tanker design to carry an officer size 1911 might be a better option even if I have to make the smaller holster myself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:02:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, I want one.   $26.00 Link please?   The one pictured above is $87.00
View Quote

@BillofRights here you go:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/shooting/holsters-belts/adirondack-leather?d=223&c=123&b=ADIRONDACK%20LEATHER

that's the same make/model as I have
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm wearing shorts or sweats 95% of the time around the house so being able to carry at home hasn't worked well.  Occasionally I'll use my shoulder holster and G21 but it's big and bulky.  A tanker design to carry an officer size 1911 might be a better option even if I have to make the smaller holster myself.
View Quote

@Brandi no real issue. It's around your chest and shoulder, so it stays put even not hooked into pants. And if you are used to getting your thumb up on the safety in your draws, as you do that you can push off the top of the holster as you see fit.

It's not crazy fast by any means, but I was just doing about 1.5-2 seconds from retention here seated, so that's cool. Whenever I get a new holster for a 1911 I carry it a bit with the hammer back, safety off (obviously empty chamber) just to make sure that my day to day activities don't manage to set it off or anything weird. No issues with some driving and some shopping, then messing around a bit in my shop.

all and all it's pretty comfy at 3 hours now.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 12:21:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine but sadly the bottom snap broke and I haven't been able to find a replacement snap.

I got the tool, and a kit, but none of the snaps have a post anywhere near long enough to go thru the thick leather.  It can be maddening trying to search for snaps too, as they use some sort of oddball sizing terms.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:01:58 PM EDT
[#10]
OP is correct - never found a more comfortable way to carry it. The military got that one right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

@Brandi no real issue. It's around your chest and shoulder, so it stays put even not hooked into pants. And if you are used to getting your thumb up on the safety in your draws, as you do that you can push off the top of the holster as you see fit.

It's not crazy fast by any means, but I was just doing about 1.5-2 seconds from retention here seated, so that's cool. Whenever I get a new holster for a 1911 I carry it a bit with the hammer back, safety off (obviously empty chamber) just to make sure that my day to day activities don't manage to set it off or anything weird. No issues with some driving and some shopping, then messing around a bit in my shop.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it XXL?
I am a big man.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is it XXL?
I am a big man.
View Quote

@Powderfinger it's very adjustable. I'm broad chested (thiccc) and had plenty of room to adjust either direction. Plus I was wearing it over a sweatshirt
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Big shoulder holster fan here. Best shoulder holster I’ve found is the Galco Jackass Rig comfortable all day and can be covered with an open button up. Sadly there spendy. Bad thing about the tanker is a lot of them cover the grip safety with the retention strap. Unfortunately hindering the grip of the draw and defeating a safety feature if you intend to carry condition 1.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks.

ETA: ordered
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#15]
If anybody wants a left-handed one then https://www.worldwarsupply.com/product-category/american/american-holsters/
has both the M3 and the M7 with the extra stabilizing strap.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:09:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it XXL?
I am a big man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it XXL?
I am a big man.

Blackhawk!
If it doesn't fit as is; If you can make a "silent sling" you can make your own straps that will fit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree about the comfort.

I wore mine for days without problems.  Appropriate since I was an actual tanker...

Still comfortable today despite me no longer being the skinny athletic type.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 2:27:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this an over 65 thread? :)
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:04:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm 37. 1911s aren't just for boomers
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not even 52 yet.

I should add that if you want to remain a skinny, athletic, ex-tanker...  Pay attention when the TC rotates the turret when you're checking the turboshaft levels.  Otherwise, you might end up jumping into a ditch instead of onto the back-deck like you planned and getting a medical discharge.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm not even 52 yet.

I should add that if you want to remain a skinny, athletic, ex-tanker...  Pay attention when the TC rotates the turret when you're checking the turboshaft levels.  Otherwise, you might end up jumping into a ditch instead of onto the back-deck like you planned and getting a medical discharge.
View Quote

@Z09SS thanks for your service and I’m sorry about your discharge. I am not skinny, no longer athletic and was never in the service.

I just happened to run across this searching for shoulder holsters and I have to say I like it
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 4:16:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@Z09SS thanks for your service and I’m sorry about your discharge. I am not skinny, no longer athletic and was never in the service.

I just happened to run across this searching for shoulder holsters and I have to say I like it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not even 52 yet.

When I tell the story in person, it's hilarious.  Typed out, it's tragic.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I like mine
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#24]
This thread has motivated me, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Tanker holsters are awesome!  I picked up a pair of "custom" ones years ago off ebay.  Both made from Ostrich leather.  One tan and one black.  For "around the farm" or range carry I can't find anything much more comfortable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:33:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I love mine but sadly the bottom snap broke and I haven't been able to find a replacement snap.

I got the tool, and a kit, but none of the snaps have a post anywhere near long enough to go thru the thick leather.  It can be maddening trying to search for snaps too, as they use some sort of oddball sizing terms.
View Quote

Look for Line 24 snaps.
Buy the length of post you need for the thickness of leather.  Many shoe repair shops and western goods store will sell them, and you can buy them in various lengths from Tandy and Springfield Leather in Missouri.

"Line" is a corruption of an old Swiss measurement system, "Ligne", still used in watchmaking.
In the US Line or "Ligne" snaps are available in Line 20 and the larger Line 24, with 24 being the size most used on holsters.
These are also often known as "Lift the Dot" fasteners.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:36:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Is there any modern versions for modern guns?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:37:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a dupe thread.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Best-Holster-Design-of-ALL-TIME/5-2402517/
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Look for Line 24 snaps.
Buy the length of post you need for the thickness of leather.  Many shoe repair shops and western goods store will sell them, and you can buy them in various lengths from Tandy and Springfield Leather in Missouri.

"Line" is a corruption of an old Swiss measurement system, "Ligne", still used in watchmaking.
In the US Line or "Ligne" snaps are available in Line 20 and the larger Line 24, with 24 being the size most used on holsters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look for Line 24 snaps.

Thanks so much for the info!

Sadly, I'm still right where I've started; with some idea of what I need but no details.  

This is typical: https://www.springfieldleather.com/shop-now/hardware/snaps-setters/line-20-24-snaps?page=1

No useful information.  Which one has a post long enough?  I could easily spend $40 for more of the wrong snaps, to fix a $30 holster.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 6:42:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is there any modern versions for modern guns?
View Quote

Bianchi has a strap kit for the M12 holster. That would take care of the M9 and M1911 and similar.
Bianchi has holsters similar to the M12 for some other models.

BlackHawk! has the holster I posted above. It doesn't have a belt snap though.
VTAC has what appears to be a better version.

gunfighters kenai

Alien Gear added one fairly recently.

Edit, and of course, Hill People.
I have both blackhawks, pistol and revolver, but it's my HPG that I actually use.
I'd spring for the aliengear if it was available in something other than black. Even if the holster was black and the straps and backer were some kind of camo, or earth tone.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:Appropriate since I was an actual tanker...
View Quote
Greetings from a fellow tread head.  I've got to be honest.  After carrying around a .45 in a GI shoulder holster 24/7 for an extended period of time (measured in weeks) my shoulder would be unhappy.

Working around tanks required our full attention to avoid injuries.  We were on a tank table and a loader was taking a nap with his legs propped up on a box under the main gun when the TC reached into the turret and fully elevated the main gun using his Cadillac control.  Snapped the loader's legs.  I watched him getting dragged out through the loader's hatch screaming his lungs out in pain.
Link Posted: 12/19/2020 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
I love the tanker holster. I wore them when assigned to the AVLB and CEV as an engineer and also when assigned to the M88 after reclassing.
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I want to try to make a tanker one of these days.  I made this goofy thing based on a T33 holster I saw at a gun show.  It can go on a belt or have a over the shoulder strap attached.  It fits either a N-frame, K-frame, 1911, or Beretta 92 in it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Greetings from a fellow tread head.  I've got to be honest.  After carrying around a .45 in a GI shoulder holster 24/7 for an extended period of time (measured in weeks) my shoulder would be unhappy.

Working around tanks required our full attention to avoid injuries.  We were on a tank table and a loader was taking a nap with his legs propped up on a box under the main gun when the TC reached into the turret and fully elevated the main gun using his Cadillac control.  Snapped the loader's legs.  I watched him getting dragged out through the loader's hatch screaming his lungs out in pain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Appropriate since I was an actual tanker...

We were at the tail end of a three day alert/mini-field exercise.  I got sloppy because as soon as the bitch-plate was back on, I could curl up in the nice-warm turret for four hours.  TC was gettin' loopy at the same time because we were running 3-man crews at the time and everyone had extra work to deal with, he didn't even call "powered!" when he put the gun back over the bow.

I jumped off the turret into a nice deep German ditch.  The Army considered it service connected because I'd been complaining about shin splints for months and my TC's failure to let us know he was spinning the turret (he got a nasty letter in his file from it, but no loss of pay or grade).

I busted both tibias and fibias and did a number on both ankles.  I got very lucky that they managed to get most of it back where it belongs.  They're talking about upping my percentage because, as I get more geriatric, my gait that compensates for the injury is taking out my left hip and knee.

Which is the long way of agreeing, never give the tank a chance to bite you, because it will.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#35]
the tanker holster for those who misplace things.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#36]

Who makes that one? I've been looking for one but it seems that there are a whole bunch to choose from. I;d like to get one that's as close to origional as possible.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Who makes that one? I've been looking for one but it seems that there are a whole bunch to choose from. I;d like to get one that's as close to origional as possible.
View Quote

It’s in the link. Looks like El Paso saddlery. Mine is Adirondack leather out of NY
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:30:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It’s in the link. Looks like El Paso saddlery. Mine is Adirondack leather out of NY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks I'll check it out.
ETA: When I clicked on the SG link, it wasn't on there. It was their home page. Maybe they sold out or something.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I have the El Paso and love it. May check some others mentioned in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
the tanker holster for those who misplace things.
View Quote
Or the guys that really need both hands free and the ability to climb in or out of combat vehicles. Yes I know 99% of civilians will never have a need to climb in or out a combat vehicle while armed, but the tanker's holster has a purpose that it fills well. It will also work well for hunters climbing into hunting stands too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice thread OP, I agree and have been using my tanker setup for ol slabsides for a couple years now. To anyone on the fence, do it!!!
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
It will also work well for hunters climbing into hunting stands too.
View Quote

Another plus for both tankers and hunters is it can be worn over coveralls/overalls. No need for a belt.
Also can be easily drawn seated.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]
For those of you looking for a tanker holster for non-Army guns...

The same basic style is called an Alaskan holster.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
For those of you looking for a tanker holster for non-Army guns...

The same basic style is called an Alaskan holster.
View Quote

I thought alaskan holsters were more across your chest/sternum? My tanker rides at about mid rib cage under my left arm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Clicked on thread & only got 50% of what I expected to see!!

HAD expected to see a WW2 type M3
DID also expect to see the modified M3, with the straps cut down & re-sewn for belt carry

I used to make a few M3 holsters until the cheap Chinese ones killed the small market in the UK for such things
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 2:41:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I thought alaskan holsters were more across your chest/sternum? My tanker rides at about mid rib cage under my left arm.
View Quote
All of the issue tanker holsters I had sat on the left side of my chest and were not under my arm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#47]
You can adjust either to ride from mid-chest to under arm pit.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 5:21:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I took one of these holster did some cutting ,stretching and a little sewing. It works great for Glock21 with light.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 6:40:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I took one of these holster did some cutting ,stretching and a little sewing. It works great for Glock21 with light.https://i.imgur.com/CZg9fjK.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/4H5CXvL.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DP9Vtmj.jpg
View Quote

Awesome!

I’m actually looking for a small one for my 365xl. May buy an eBay version to cut down
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top