Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2020 10:33:08 PM EDT
Hi all,

I have a smith M 10-1 from the early 1960's.  I have owned it for many years and it's starting looking a little long in the tooth if you catch my meaning.  I world like to have it gone through, replace and worn parts have it re-blued.  I live in Houston, Texas.  Is any one aware for a shop local who can help or would sending to S&W be the correct path.  I plan to leave it to family so selling is not planned.

thanks for any input.
mac
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
If it was mine I'd change out the springs , maybe .
I think your family would want your old gun because because it was your possession .

Id rather have it passed down to me the way it was .

If you must reblue send it to Smith & Wesson and least they should do a good job .
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#2]
With decent refinishes going for $500 or more, and nearly perfect Model 10s selling for $600, it rarely makes sense to refinish one for cosmetic reasons.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Re-blueing almost never makes financial sense.  I've done it once, I don't regret it but will almost certainly never do it again.  Around here a decent blueing job will run about $250 for the basic and can climb higher.  The last I checked there's only one place in Iowa still doing it.  As far as parts it's highly unlikely it needs anything other than maybe a spring kit.  There aren't any known weaknesses in the Smith lock work unless the thing has a bazillion rounds through it.  I collect Model Tens.  I have a dozen or so that range from 1903 to 1988.  None have ever needed any parts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Fully agree refinishing is a waste of time and money. In my experience S&W K frames just don’t wear out. If the gun is functioning properly don’t do a thing. They are NOT like semi autos where replacing springs at certain intervals is advisable.
My go to S&W is a combat masterpiece made prior to model numbering around 1955. All original and runs perfectly. Not a beauty queen but I buy them to shoot not look pretty.
My primary bullseye competition revolver is a model 17 I bought used, again all original made in 1966, I have at least 100 thousand rounds through it with no maintenance beyond cleaning and oiling. I don’t even think I have had the side plate off sine I have owned it. I generally run about 1k between cleanings. And when I do clean we are talking about 5 minutes worth of effort
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the input,  I believe i will it as is and enjoy shooting it more.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Damn... I was thinking of buying a replacement
heavy barrel for my 10-7, maybe have the frame reblued and such.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Damn... I was thinking of buying a replacement 
heavy barrel for my 10-7, maybe have the frame reblued and such.
View Quote

Bad move for several reasons:
1) the frames between standard and heavy barrels are slightly different and the frame and barrels contours will not match up
2) a good quality reblue job will cost as much of more than just buying a second model 10 heavy barrel gun.
10 HB’s are pretty common and a nice example can be had for under $400 with a little patience and effort.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By captain127:

Bad move for several reasons:
1) the frames between standard and heavy barrels are slightly different and the frame and barrels contours will not match up
2) a good quality reblue job will cost as much of more than just buying a second model 10 heavy barrel gun.
10 HB’s are pretty common and a nice example can be had for under $400 with a little patience and effort.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By captain127:
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Damn... I was thinking of buying a replacement 
heavy barrel for my 10-7, maybe have the frame reblued and such.

Bad move for several reasons:
1) the frames between standard and heavy barrels are slightly different and the frame and barrels contours will not match up
2) a good quality reblue job will cost as much of more than just buying a second model 10 heavy barrel gun.
10 HB’s are pretty common and a nice example can be had for under $400 with a little patience and effort.

Yeah, I'm likely just gonna sell it and use the trade in value for a .357.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top