Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 8:14:56 AM EDT
Yeah, I searched, but because I am subhuman, I have limited search capability and found nothing for keyword magnetic....

What adverse affects does magnetizing the handgun's receiver/slide, through use of a magnetic holster or mount, have on the gun and its long term operation?  Are there downsides to these magnetic mounts, like this one: https://vulcanarms.com/collections/mounts/products/combo_pack ?

Are there other solutions to hard-mounting the pistol somehow inside a vehicle, that I should explore?  Its for an early S&W M&P .40.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#1]
This question has popped up a few times.  I’ve never used one, but the guys who have see zero issues.

Some have good luck with mounting a decent kydex holster in the vehicle, which would seem more secure.  Something held with magnets would probably go flying in a wreck.   I just keep mine in my belt holster.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I accidently magnetized a handgun slide/barrel by taking it a little too close to an NMR spectrometer a few times.  

It functioned fine, but would attract little bits of metal shavings or light ferrous objects if I wasn't careful.  I had it pick up some fine bits or metal from my workbench or something and they went on to act as abrasives on the slide when put into a kydex holster, so that was annoying.
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 10:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Ordered a magnetic holster.....learned that is bad- big mojo for my Pacemaker.....so just keep it on inside of my safe.....no touch chest area that way.... lesson learned...... signed, Heartbeat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top