Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2021 6:06:22 PM EDT
I picked up an M18 xchange kit to change slides on my M17 frame with manual safety.  I can't get the slide to go all the way back for assembly and it feels like the recoil spring assembly is catching somewhere (gets stuck about 2cm before reaching slide stop).  I put the M17 slide back on and performed FC to make sure I didn't mess up anything with the FCU assembly or takedown lever... what am I missing?

The manual shows that the compact recoil spring is supposed to be installed with "flats" vertical, but the pictures assembly doesn't look anything like the one supplied with the slide.  This is what I have

Attachment Attached File

thanks

B
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
It must be installed like this.  It can be picky too.  If it twists any, it'll catch and won't slide on.  

https://imgur.com/8taB7wb

*I can't seem to figure out how to attach and display an image
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I tried that orientation too and it definately doesn't clear the FCU at all.
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It must be installed like this.  It can be picky too.  If it twists any, it'll catch and won't slide on.  

https://imgur.com/8taB7wb

*I can't seem to figure out how to attach and display an image
View Quote

This is correct what he told you above. It is an alignment thing . It can be a little tricky until you get used to it, but it isn’t rocket surgery either. It will definitely clear the fcu. Talk nice to it when you line it up, she will fall into place.

Cp
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I tried that orientation too and it definately doesn't clear the FCU at all.
View Quote

It will clear it. Have faith.
Cp
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:29:10 PM EDT
[#5]
ok so after a few beers I was playing around... held the slide back and used my fingertips to twist the exposed tip of the rod and it went into battery.  Unreal it was this hard and shame on sig for having completely incorrect info in their user manual re: orientation of the flats on the RSA and their alignment with the barrel lug.  Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I believe there are about 5 evolutions or the captured guide rod. From a financial standpoint, I don’t think that is a big enough issue to reprint all the user manuals included. I’m not sure it’s fair to blame sig for your ineptitude. Sorry, but if you can’t figure out how to install a guide rod in your pistol, you may want to drop guns and pick up golf as a hobby.
Cp
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#7]
You’re cool man thanks for the unnecessary commentary have a great weekend
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:35:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You’re cool man thanks for the unnecessary commentary have a great weekend
View Quote

It wasn’t unnecessary. Multiple people told you the correct way to install the guide rod and yet you still blamed Sig for your inability to follow directions. Also, probably not a good idea to fuck around with firearms while drinking. Especially when it is clear you don’t really know what you are doing. Just sayin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top