Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2019 11:34:34 AM EDT
talk to me about lw commander. I have an early lw colt that I like however previous owner ground down  the tang and need to find a wide beaver tail or frame fix still comfortable to shoot but was thinking of replacing with ruger Any thought. how does it compare or should I spring for kimber[aghh]

(
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Red,
I just got the Ruger LW Commander in 9mm and am very well impressed. I don't have a lot of rounds down the tube yet but the first outing was flawless.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#2]
With the Colt, when fitting a new beavertail a jig is put in the safety hole in the frame and metal is removed.  Did the previous owner already do the work for a new beavertail?

ETA. Here's a picture of my LWT Commander that I fit an EdBrown beavertail, while not accurate to .000001, this gives you a practical idea of how much tang is left after being fitted.

How does that compare to yours?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 2:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the all steel Commander.  I like it.  Been reliable, decent trigger, decently accurate.  No complaints at all.

When I was Commander shopping I got to compare the Ruger and Colt side by side.  Ruger was nicer in every way, better, more modern features, and $200 cheaper.  The decision made itself.  The Colt was not impressive at all.  Polishing was only so so.  Blueing was meh.  Old sights, old safety, just everything like it came out of the fifties.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Tangs on a Commander are smaller than Government Models. Are you certain it was ground on?
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#5]
pretty close maybe just a few thousand more off who did work and about how much
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 8:06:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pretty close maybe just a few thousand more off who did work and about how much
View Quote
I did it myself. so cost was only the Ed Brown beavertail and the jig which is about $25 from Brownells.

If you decide to go that route, I've still got the jig, which I'd be willing to lend you.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
talk to me about lw commander. I have an early lw colt that I like however previous owner ground down  the tang and need to find a wide beaver tail or frame fix still comfortable to shoot but was thinking of replacing with ruger Any thought. how does it compare or should I spring for kimber[aghh]

(
View Quote

Really like mine,it's the 9mm version.  I added straight 8 night sights to mine, only thing I would like to change is I wish they did the round butt treatment at the factory
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:57:34 AM EDT
[#8]
If it does not have a steel ramp insert in the frame, use caution with non-captured followers in magazines, they can gouge the frame.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 5:28:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it does not have a steel ramp insert in the frame, use caution with non-captured followers in magazines, they can gouge the frame.
View Quote
IIRC, aluminum frame SR1911s all have either titanium inserts (.45) or ramped barrels (9MM).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top