Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 4:42:51 PM EDT
Copper fouling on a particular RIA barrel is ungodly compared to any other 1911 I own. JB to smooth it out inside or no?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's that rough, you might be better off lapping it with gritty bullets.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:14:12 PM EDT
[#2]
When the accuracy on my Sig M17 drops off I use the JB bore paste/Kroil swab followed by bore bright. Makes a big difference.
Those RamRodz disposable bore swabs work well for me
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]
JB Bore paste don't "smooth" things out. It's not a lapping compound. Don't know why people think it is. If there is a roughness in the bore, it will still be there even after.

However, I don't recommend JB Bore paste. I found that it requires too much work and it doesn't quite get everything out. I only recommend Boretech stuff these days. I have the individual carbon killer and copper remover products. Buy them separately then you're covered with just soaking. I usually use the carbon killer first, until it comes out clean, then go with the copper remover. Confirmed with bore camera that not a single area of carbon or copper left.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#4]
JB is good stuff, but not what I pick for copper fouling.  Use Wipeout or Patchout for copper fouling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Bore Tech Eliminator will get out the copper and the carbon.  But use a coated or steel rod and nylon brushes as it will color up from the rod/brushes/patch tip if you use a brass rod/brush/tip.  You want to know that any green/blue is from the barrel, not the cleaning tools.

JB doesn't smooth the barrel out.  Tried it.  Working on a pistol barrel that looks like part of a miniature WW1 Artillery battle was fought in there.  JB didn't do anything for it.  I even put JB on a bore mop, put a patch on that and used a drill to spin it in that god awful nasty rough chamber and it didn't faze it.  Next step is to use some of the valve lapping compound I bought awhile back.  Unless it shoots good.  If it shoots good, I'll probably leave it rough.  If not, I'll try to smooth it out.  Hard to ruin a barrel that won't shoot in the first place.

There's some bore scoping discussions going on in another forum.  One of the guys who shoots bullseye competitions is getting some really great performance (small groups) out of a couple pistols with barrels that are really rough and nasty looking.  I know my own P07 outshoots damn near everything else I've got and the barrel is no where near as pretty as I expected vs. the small groups.

A rough barrel will be tougher to clean well.  I think the Bore Tech Eliminator will make a quicker job of it for me.

You clean a barrel with Hoppes#9 and you think it looks clean and shiny.  Then you run some Bore Tech Eliminator through it and holy cow! look at that crap.  The blue/green of copper and the black/dark gray of carbon.

In the past I've used Hoppes#9, Black Off, Sweets 7.62 and another one I can't remember right now.  Nothing knocked that crap out of the barrel as quick/easy as the Bore Tech Eliminator.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You clean a barrel with Hoppes#9 and you think it looks clean and shiny.  Then you run some Bore Tech Eliminator through it and holy cow! look at that crap.  The blue/green of copper and the black/dark gray of carbon.

In the past I've used Hoppes#9, Black Off, Sweets 7.62 and another one I can't remember right now.  Nothing knocked that crap out of the barrel as quick/easy as the Bore Tech Eliminator.
View Quote

Tried the Hoppes 9 and it was like the stuff went bad or something with respect to this barrel. Works fine on any other pistol barrel I have but did almost nothing for this particular one.

Will pick up one of the different copper solvents you guys suggested and go from there.

Much appreciate the advice everyone!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Has accuracy dropped off due to fouling?  If not, I'd be inclined to take the Schuemann approach and not clean the bore until it does.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
JB is good stuff, but not what I pick for copper fouling.  Use Wipeout or Patchout for copper fouling.
View Quote

And then use actual lapping compound
(VERY fine grade) on a lap shaped to the bore and rifling.
You cast the lap in place in the barrel, then put lapping compound on the lead plug.
Clover Compound.
It is grease with silicone carbide added. Works well.

Be very careful.
You are removing metal.
It rarely takes all that many strokes to polish up the surface.

J-B has been the 'go to' way of cleaning barrels before using lead bullets for a long time.
You can polish out the slightest amount of copper fouling that remains.

If there is a lot of cooper Sweets 7.62 will etch almost all of it, but a final pass with J-B
is often still required.
A bronze brush and a very few passes usually does the job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top