Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2020 9:59:35 PM EDT
Title says it all.

I’ve read some conflicting threads.

Are the Promag full-size 9mm mags good-to-go?

Or jamomatics?

WHAT SAY YOU!???
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never had anything promag work properly.

It's bizarre that company can survive while other brands fail.

Pass.

You can find legit used factory mags in the EE for 17-20 routinely.  And those work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#2]
No first hand M&P Promag experience but if they function well it'll be a first. I got burned by a bunch between 94 and 04. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/3/2020 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea how pro mag is still In business. I had to buy them during the ban (sig mags were like $100+), and every decade I think "surely with modern manufacturing they are up to spec now" and still get effed. Most recently a ruger mini-14 mag, as factory are unobtainium, and don't come in nickel.

never again.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The only after market mags that run great in an M&P are ACT mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The only after market mags that run great in an M&P are ACT mags.
View Quote

I disagree.  ACT mags work ok, but not great.  I've had several malfs using Act mags in at least 2 different guns.  I've had exactly zero malfs using OEM mags.

FWIW, a guy I shoot withbought a couple pro-mags acouple weeks ago because it was all he could find locally.  He said that he had no issues with them,  but he could not have fired more than a couple hundred rounds.  

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything but OEM.  If you want to save a few bucks, watch the EE or Aim Surplus for used mags.
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:28:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Title says it all.

I’ve read some conflicting threads.

Are the Promag full-size 9mm mags good-to-go?

Or jamomatics?

WHAT SAY YOU!???
View Quote

PM sent.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought one just because, "hey not everything they make can be junk".
Well to date the only malfunctions I have had are with that magazine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tried Pro Mags for an AK and they failed miserably.  How can a company screw up a mag for an AK?  For God's sake, uneducated cave dwellers can make AK rifles run for years and this company can't make a magazine to work in that rifle?
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two promag LCP mags that have worked without issue in my LCP II
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Promags are POS. I have owned some in the past about 18 years ago and I will nit buy their worthless trash magazines again. The magazines wouldn’t feed properly, period. Total garbage.
Link Posted: 12/11/2020 8:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
This is not an M&P story but it is a Promag magazine story.   A couple of years ago I was looking for some magazines for a Ruger P95.   A website was selling P95 “Factory” magazines for a decent price so I ordered a couple.   When I opened the package I found Promags.   I opened one just to see what they were like and I wasn’t impressed.   Attempts to load the magazine generated a lot of internal friction.   When I unloaded the magazine I removed about half of the bullets before the follower stuck in the magazine body and the rest of the bullets just slid out.   Smacking the magazine knocked the follower free and it slammed into the top of the magazine body.   I took it apart to see why it was binding and found that Promag had forced a round spring into the square magazine body.   The fit was so tight that the round magazine spring was forced into a “square D” shape inside the body.   That explained why the the follower was binding.   I have trouble understanding how a company could make something that bad.  

2HUT8
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
The only thing I can think of is that ProMag's cost to stores is so low, they want to stock them because they make great margin. Someone in the business could confirm or deny. Because they make really terrible stuff. Very simple single stacks sometimes work, but any staggered mags or those for a shotgun will suck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
My only Promag experience was negative. It wasn't a M&P promag however. Still, with used factory 17rd mags available from Natchez for $15, I'd personally stay away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:37:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I have no idea how they are still in business. They are shit, stay away.
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You lost me at ProMag.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Since nobody has told you yet....Promags are absolute junk across the board. They do not make a decent product and the company survives by newbs and people who don't actually shoot their guns buying their crap from CTD and trying to save a couple bucks vs OEM/mecgar mags.
Hard pass.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#17]
I don’t use them in mine.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:38:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Pro-Mag is a Complete HARD Pass from my experience.

Fool me once, shame on You.

Fool me more, shame on Me.

Don't know how they stay open, unless there really is a Sucker born every minute...
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I bought a couple of Promags in the late 90s during the ban era for a Taurus PT100. They were 11 rounders that had been modified to limit to 10 rounds. It took a while for me to figure out that there were two indentions on the sides of the mags that prevented the follower from going down all the way. I tried to drill out the indentions and the entire mag split in half. Good times.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:03:24 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought a full size Promag M&P 9mm mag to try it out.  After about 50 mag fulls the bottom of the mag left the gun during a match, I learned the value of always carrying a spare mag that day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
No experience with thecM&P, but fwiw I have a couple promag 50rd drums for the glock 22 and they work great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top