Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2022 7:55:17 PM EDT
Canik fanboy bias aside (im one of them), is the elite combat, or other model, acceptable for duty grade/carry?

Ive had the sfx for a while now for competition. I love it, but i wish i could say i havent had any malfunctions. With around 2k rounds, ive had my fair share. The most recent trend is light primer strikes. Granted, I installed a spingco system in it, upgraded the trigger, etc. and i also dont screen the ammo that i put through it, i just train with whatever i have and whatever is cheapest. Restoring the springs to factory had drastically improved my light primer strike issue, but i dont think its completely resolved.

Anyways, I have a glock 19 gen 4 but want to sell it and get the elite combat. Are these comparable for duty grade? or should i just go for the glock 19 gen 5?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd let someone else be the Guinea pig.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Frankly, no matter how much I shot the ever-loving shit out of a pistol, when it comes to staking my like on a firearm, I'm going with tried and true.

I've heard good things about Caniks, but there's no comparison to the established track record of Glocks, especially the 19 and 17.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool range guns. Personally I would never carry one for defense of my life.
But you do you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 11:52:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got bout 5000 rounds thru 1 of 3 Elite Combats, no malfunctions. The other 2 have less than 1000. I've also shot it in competition, no issues. All stock except for a lightened firing pin block spring and a heavy weight backstrap. I'd say it's good for duty, competition or conceal carry. But you do you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sargent1992:Granted, I installed a spingco system in it, upgraded the trigger, etc.
View Quote

My 100% factory Caniks have run flawlessly, every one modified for competition, not so much.  I think adding the grip weight is the only modification I would ever except for Canik to be used as a defensive firearm.  The springco and the W74/commander spring recoil systems are notorious for requiring lighter striker springs to even run and go into battery, which ends up in another balancing act to prevent light strikes.

In that regard, Canik's are no different from Glocks or for that matter custom 1911's used as competition guns.  All the aftermarket things intended to make the trigger lighter or the gun track better in recoil are going to start aggressively degrading reliability making them unsuitable as street guns.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By billbotts:

My 100% factory Caniks have run flawlessly, every one modified for competition, not so much.  I think adding the grip weight is the only modification I would ever except for Canik to be used as a defensive firearm.  The springco and the W74/commander spring recoil systems are notorious for requiring lighter striker springs to even run and go into battery, which ends up in another balancing act to prevent light strikes.

In that regard, Canik's are no different from Glocks or for that matter custom 1911's used as competition guns.  All the aftermarket things intended to make the trigger lighter or the gun track better in recoil are going to start aggressively degrading reliability making them unsuitable as street guns.
View Quote

I bought a Canik Elite SC for EDC use and so far it hasn't had any issues. Time will tell though.

That goes for just about any brand. I've seen enough Glock pistols start to have issues when aftermarket parts are introduced. No matter what pistol you use for EDC, SD/HD, you will be better served leaving them as stock as possible.

Link Posted: 8/7/2022 12:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Zero malfunctions in about 800rds of a mixture shitty steel ammo and cci blazer through my Canik Elite. I also don't put any aftermarket parts in my carry pistols either.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#8]
At what point is a firearm considered "duty grade"?   99%? 99.99%? 99.999? 99.9999?

I've put at least 200 rounds through my Canik every weekend for more than a month now (IIRC) and I haven't had a single malfunction. So you could say I'm at 99.99% verified reliability.

Conversely, my M&P Shield ran like crap when I first got it, and would jam every few mags.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I've had  malfunctions with my glock 23..
I've never had a malfunction with my tp9.

Now to be fair I've had my tp9 for like 2 years and I've had my glock for like 20.

My point is Glocks do malfunction
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I read were some rental range had them and they were stock guns , ran and ran way better than they thought , no problems I have the tan combat elite never a problem with any ammo . I am starting to see mags around at the shop
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:00:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't own a gun that I can't have total trust in if I had to head out the door with only it.

I won't own a gun that has any type of failure rate beyond a reasonable break in period.

I own Glocks, Sigs, S&W's, Walthers, etc..... and I own seven Canik's currently. I would feel well protected with any of the guns I own, and especially with the Canik's.

Link Posted: 10/16/2022 1:10:40 PM EDT
[#12]
No reason to believe you can't trust it if it has never malfunctioned. If you keep it clean and lubed, and use quality ammo you are more than likely going to be well protected by it . Glocks ,S&W's, Sig's, and many others have been around longer and have developed a reputation for reliability, and  Canik is the new kid on the block.  Don't discount Canik's quality or reliability. I remember when Glock was the new kid on the block  or Toyota was the new kid on the block .
Link Posted: 11/13/2022 8:18:23 AM EDT
[#13]
5k+ rounds through 2 Caniks and zero malfunctions. Bone stock besides sights. I EDC my SA. I'll probably be swapping in a Sprinco recoil spring. We'll see if that wrecks reliability. As a stock gun they're as reliable as any gun.
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 10:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
5k rounds through one of my TP9SF, only malfunctions is from shit underpowered reloads I picked up off the ground at the range I work at. With factory ammo, just as reliable as a Glock.

Been a huge fan of Caniks since I've seen them run so reliably at their price point, and unlike late Gen 3 - Gen 4 Glocks, throws brass in a consistent 3-4 o clock pattern. With its superior trigger and match barrel I can shoot them more accurately than any of my Glocks as well. I now own 2 TP9SF and a METE SFT. I alternate between carrying my Gen 5 MOS G17 or my Caniks at work, depending on what I feel like shooting. I still CCW my Gen 3 G19 only because I haven't bought a Canik Elite model yet.

So to me Canik belongs in the duty grade department as well!
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I will say that case ejection is definitely better on the Canik versus any Glock I own. I had no problems finding all of my empties at the range. They landed in a nice small pile at 3 o'clock.
Link Posted: 12/26/2022 7:45:56 AM EDT
[#16]
They seem to go , the rental ranges use them and people shoot the crap out of them , no problems , the Turks been making arms for a 100 yrs , I think they are getting it right .
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the combat executive and its been flawless for 5k rounds.  Its one of the most accurate guns Ive owned.  I dont carry it but if need be Id send it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top