Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2017 3:52:30 PM EDT
I just put a Canik TP9SF on layaway at Buds.  I've watched nearly every on line review and they are glowingly thumbs up for this gun.  Also nearly every personal review I've read is favorable.   I am buying it because I only had enough budget for a sub 400 dollar gun.

I'm wondering if the majority of the reviewers are just like me, tightwads on a budget,and if they had the cash they wouldn't want a cheap gun like a Canik?  Or is the Canik TP9SF really a good enough gun to hang with the more expensive guns, and are they being picked up and appreciated by shooters who also have the more expenive higher quality guns?

BTW I'm an extremely casual shooter I only go out in the woods maybe a dozen times a year to plink.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Canik can hang.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
When I picked up my Shield, my FFL said take a look at the Canik... Nice feeling gun. Feels well made and looks like a typical rip on the Glock. He had it marked something like $269...so they must be cheap online...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:02:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked my first one so much I bought another one just like it.  Fantastic pistol.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
my FFL said take a look at the Canik. He had it marked something like $269
View Quote
Name of FFL please.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont think it is. Its a really great pistol for the price, and its something different to add to the collection.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:33:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Name of FFL please.
View Quote
I checked AIM after that comment....$319.... so I must have misread the tag unless it was used...was a pawnshop..
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I won't get rid of my glocks, but the trigger on my TP9sfx is amazing out of the box.  And it's accurate.  And it holds 20 rounds in a magazine.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I've owned 2 Caniks - TP9sa and a T-100.  Both great, exceptionally accurate.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Is this the next HS2000? I had one and loved it while I owned it. Springfield acquired them when they saw the groundswell of adoption and positive reviews.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Before my first Canik most of my handgun collection were $450-$1000 pistols with some C&R and .22 exceptions, got the TP9SA cause I wanted a cheap beater gun and heard it had a decent trigger, after first range trip was pleasantly surprised how good the trigger was, fed it a bunch of different cheap ammo which for the most part it ate up, had stove pipes with some freedom munitions and drt which seemed underloaded. Ended up picking up 2 more Caniks, T100 and an Elite both of them are great shooters too, though T100 has heavy stock trigger. I shoot the TP's better then 99% of my other pistols even with trigger and other upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought my TP9SA after all the glowing reviews about the smooth single action trigger and they didn't lie. I like a good trigger but hate dropping another $100 in to a new pistol to get one.

I like Walther & Walther clone pistols, previously had a Bersa Thunder hicap 9mm which was a Walther clone and while it was great pistol it was a little rough around the edges til it wore in.

The Canik is well finished and honestly, if no one knew what it was or how much it costs I think it'd fool a lot of people into thinking it's a much more expensive pistol. I also have an HK USP and was planning to buy the VP9 but decided to save half my money and take a chance on the Canik. So far I've not regretted that decision.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 9:15:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I really like the idea of getting something that is very good for a low price, even while being able to afford higher priced guns.

Canik is one manufacturer that really delivers in that department.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I've shot mine once, and thought it seemed as refined as any firearm I've ever shot - and I have owned something like 30+ different pistols over my 30 years of gun ownership.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I am impressed with my TP9SF Elite.  This is a quality made firearm.  It is a derivative of some Walther designs, though not an exact copy.  Mine has been totally reliable and is very accurate and the trigger is amazing for a factory, out of the box, sub $400 pistol.  I am quite satisfied with this purchase and will recommend Canik to anyone looking for a high quality, reliable striker fired handgun.  The price is simply an added bonus.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 1:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
My Canik SF Elite is amazing and accurate and so far very reliable.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I liked my first one so much I bought another one just like it.  Fantastic pistol.
View Quote
Ditto....shot my TP9V2...came home and ordered an SF.  Love 'em both.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#17]
The Turkish guns are a steal right now, great quality and a fantastic price. I have a Canik TP9v2 and it's been perfect. I also have 4 Sarsilmaz guns, a K2 45, a K2P, a CM9 G2, and a SR38 .357 revolver. IMHO, these guns are going to go up, way up in price. If I was to just pick one as the "best", it would be the CM9 G2, which is available at CDNN now for $259. Basically a clone of the CZP-07, it has one of the best triggers and a great grip.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I was looking at the Elite awhile back put people were reporting issues with them.  Ejecting issues If i remember correctly.  Sound like Canik fixed the issues?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Elite issues appear to be resolved, and were nothing more than a stiffer than necessary recoil spring.  Worked fine using warm loads, but had some issues with target rounds. Newer guns are shipping with the new recoil spring assembly and Century will send you a new recoil spring assembly if you end up with one of the original ones.

They recently started making an Elite with OD green slide.

Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:19:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Grandmaster how can you tell if you have an original recoil spring.I just bought mine in the beginning of July,so far have 200 rounds through it no issues.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:35:04 PM EDT
[#21]
My TP9SFx  led me to buy an Elite.

I'm glad I did.

They are good guns.   No qualifiers about price point needed.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Grandmaster how can you tell if you have an original recoil spring.I just bought mine in the beginning of July,so far have 200 rounds through it no issues.
View Quote
I would suggest contacting Century Arms and see if they can tell you based on serial #.  Or you can also visit the Canik discussion forum at http://canikdiscussions.com/ .  There are a lot of knowledgeable folks there who might know when the recoil spring assembly was changed.

But if you have 200 trouble free rounds through yours, chances are you have the new spring already.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Should have new unless its been sitting a long time, mine was made in Feb and has new spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrwKWtMXy-o
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 4:56:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Elite issues appear to be resolved, and were nothing more than a stiffer than necessary recoil spring.  Worked fine using warm loads, but had some issues with target rounds. Newer guns are shipping with the new recoil spring assembly and Century will send you a new recoil spring assembly if you end up with one of the original ones.

They recently started making an Elite with OD green slide.

https://cdn.preppergunshop.com/media/catalog/product/3/7/37380.jpg
View Quote
I have been watching these since they first came in and that one has me possibly considering a buy. I still would like to see some long term shooting feedback from various sources.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is this the next HS2000? I had one and loved it while I owned it. Springfield acquired them when they saw the groundswell of adoption and positive reviews.
View Quote
I've been saying this for over a year.

The TP9SF is as nice or nicer than a lot of pistols costing twice as much.  Internally it is pretty much identical to a walther PPQ, to the extent that a TP9 slide functions on a PPQ frame.  

If it weren't a hassle to get them with 18rd mags here in CO from the cheap online dealers, I'd probably get one tomorrow.  

My opinion is based on handling and shooting pretty much every pistol in the segment while managing a retail gun store and range.  Were I still in the industry and therefore exempt from the magazine ban, I'd add one to the stable in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
IMO they are a great pistol, I have shot the piss out of mine with a handful of instances of the striker not cocking during rapid fire. It's accurate, it feeds anything even when caked with carbon, I just need to send it back to century to have the issue fixed. I didn't buy it for carry or home defense, just as a beater pistol. Every time I think of sending it back I change my mind as it doesn't bother me enough yet
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I have 2 tan SA's. Very accurate & great
shooters.

I have HK's USP's, FNX Tacticals, Glocks,
Walthers, My Canik's function & shoot
as accurately as any of those.

John
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:32:35 AM EDT
[#28]
It doesn't feel or shoot like a cheap handgun.

Trigger is great.

I have S&W, Glocks, Sigs, and I love my TP9SF.  

You'll be happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought a SFX locally today, so I must be a cheapskate.  Haven't had a chance to fire it, but from playing around with it and dryfiring, it feels like a good purchase.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Big "voluntary" recall of many models of Canik pistols announced on the 1st.

More abusive drop test nonsense causing failures.

Just do a search for Canik recall...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 7:35:13 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder what the abusive drops means. I can't find a video showing it.  Also the Canik is a Walter copy , I wonder if they all have the same issue.  David
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 8:16:07 AM EDT
[#32]
I suspect it has something to do with every monkey on the internet slamming pistols into solid things to prove that their Glock is better.

It's true that Caniks are loosely based on various Walther designs, but they are still just inexpensive copies.  If I read the recall correctly it's not the models with decockers, but I'm not expert on Caniks and their flurry of different pistol models.

Personally I've always been leary of any striker fired pistol that uses a fully cocked striker, no matter if it has a trigger saftey dingus lever or not.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#33]
People knew it wasn't drop safe at least two years ago.

2 years ago a person dropped his canik and got shot with it. Luckily he was able to called for help or he would have bled to death. 

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?19776-ND-or-AD

http://monderno.com/monderno/canik-tp9-sa-safety-concern/

As for the PPQ vs Mallet

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?26913-Return-of-Mallet-Mallet-vs-PPQ
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:50:48 PM EDT
[#34]

To make it clear, the pistol would not discharge unless the striker channel block simultaneously malfunctioned.
View Quote
Another witch hunt.

Reminds me of all the BS about the old Audi 5000 "unintended acceleration", that could only be induced by radically modifying the transmission.

If you made a pistol, any pistol, 100% drop safe from any and all ways of dropping and otherwise abusing it, it would be so expensive no one could afford it, and so heavy it would probably be classed as a crew serviced weapon, and even at that, some fool would drop it and it would discharge, because fools are so bloody ingenious.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 3:04:03 PM EDT
[#35]
I used my TP9V2 in 4 USPSA matches last year.  About 150 rds per match.  I don't recall any gun related issues.  They fit my hands well.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I can also report that my TP9 SF is a very good weapon for the price. I’ll be picking up another one eventually.  One thing I like about Canik is they are constantly coming out with new models, new colors, new Updates, probably faster than any other manufacturer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:14:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I have over 500 rds flawless through my TP9SFx now and I just completed my first ever competition, with any gun, this past weekend, using the SFx.  Only thing I've done to it is installed green fiber optics in the front sight.  I placed 2nd in my class (Open) and 12th overall.  The TP9SFx shoots so accurately and recoil is minimal.  The only other gun I own that comes close to the accuracy is my HK VP9.

My next purchase will be the Elite.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:16:16 AM EDT
[#38]
New member here, and wanted to add my experience with the Canik pistols.

I purchased a TP9SF on a whim one day while looking in a local gun shop for a cheapish used full size 9mm (of which they had none available which is why I bought the Canik).  I came home and like the OP saw the reviews online to be very favorable.  The next day I went to my local range to shoot it, and Century Arms happened to be there doing a demo event for the local PD.  They had about a dozen TP9SF's on hand and when they discovered I had just bought one they gave my pistol a full quality control inspection and noticed that my firing pin block was an early production design and upgraded it for me right there as they had parts on hand for the demo guns.  They then gave me a free mag, as well as a couple free boxes of ammo.  In addition at the time of this occurrence I also got to shoot the TP9SFX about 8 months before it was officially released to the public.

I have since put at least 1000 rounds through the pistol consisting of a mixture of steel, aluminum, and brass cased ammo from a variety of different manufacturers and the gun has not had a single issue ever except a few hard primers with some Winchester White box from Walmart.  Other than that the gun has gone "bang" every time I've pulled the trigger and continues to feed and eject 100% reliably.  I have had two other people shoot it and they've both went out and bought one.

Another pleasant surprise to me was the incredible accuracy of this pistol.  I have a friend who bought an FN-P .45 ACP and swears up and down that there is no better gun on the market for reliability or accuracy.  I've shot that gun and while it is reliable and accurate, I can shoot groups with my Canik just as good (or slightly better), and I paid just over half what he paid for his FN.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#39]
I had originally not thought much of them. I don't care for the Walther copies with the slide mounted decocker. Today though I looked at a TP 9 SF. I was very impressed honestly. Local shop had a new one for $379, new. They had an Elite right next to it but I can do without the giant goofy looking slide release levers.

The gun I looked at was well finished out and had a very good trigger for what it is. If I was not as invested as I am in several other pistol designs- spare parts, magazines, holsters etc....I would probably buy one. I will certainly recommend them to people who are new shooters or looking for a "spare".

I own lots of really nice guns- Heirloom Precision 1911's, a Stan Chen 1911, Cylinder and Slide and Novak Hi Powers etc.....There is nothing wrong with the Canik as a "shooter" grade pistol.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
IMO they are a great pistol, I have shot the piss out of mine with a handful of instances of the striker not cocking during rapid fire. It's accurate, it feeds anything even when caked with carbon, I just need to send it back to century to have the issue fixed. I didn't buy it for carry or home defense, just as a beater pistol. Every time I think of sending it back I change my mind as it doesn't bother me enough yet
View Quote
I pulled the striker out of the slide and cleaned it, along with cleaning out the striker channel in the slide, and since then no more issues with the striker not cocking during rapid fire,  even when filthy. It's only been a few hundred rounds,  but I think it may be OK now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 12:37:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Its march...many rounds shot, some competition's   totally happy with.  It's a shooter.  My only question?  The holster has release on left side  I'm right handed...hmmmm?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Its march...many rounds shot, some competition's   totally happy with.  It's a shooter.  My only question?  The holster has release on left side  I'm right handed...hmmmm?
View Quote
They are just friction fit now.  Ignore the release, just tug it out.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the TP9SFX and for the money it's a very nice gun with lots of features.

Trigger really is great
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 9:17:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I checked AIM after that comment....$319.... so I must have misread the tag unless it was used...was a pawnshop..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Name of FFL please.
I get Glock for $398.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Another witch hunt.

Reminds me of all the BS about the old Audi 5000 "unintended acceleration", that could only be induced by radically modifying the transmission.

If you made a pistol, any pistol, 100% drop safe from any and all ways of dropping and otherwise abusing it, it would be so expensive no one could afford it, and so heavy it would probably be classed as a crew serviced weapon, and even at that, some fool would drop it and it would discharge, because fools are so bloody ingenious.
View Quote
You are 100% misguided about the Audi 5000 issues. None of the Audis were modified and most were new or near new. The issues was most of the drivers came from GM cars (mainly Cadillac)  and Audi pedal spacing is closer than GM. The drivers really hit the gas and often hit both pedals at the same time. There was a detailed paper released a few years after it happened. It was the pre internet days. The company I worked for bought an Audi 5000 because of the performance and because they were cheap. It was a test mule. It was fun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2018 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#46]
The car that CBS's 60 Minutes show used to show that Audi's were the devil was indeed heavily modified.  Rerouted hydraulic lines to and from the valve body, and the pressure regulator was re adjusted, because it's the only way they could get the car to do what people claimed, without being idiots and hitting the wrong pedals.  In same vein as the BS about the Corvair that Ralph Nader spouted to make a name for himself.

There was nothing wrong with the Audi cars. (Well in that regard anyway, there was plenty wrong with them from a reliability stand point, we made a lot of money off them in the day.)  The problem is we let people get driver's licenses from Cracker Jack boxes in this country.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:28:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
And doubled the price.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Had I not gotten in on the PSA $550 VP9 Tactical deal, I'd have happily bought a TP9.  Nicer trigger than my VP9, flatter recoil too.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The car that CBS's 60 Minutes show used to show that Audi's were the devil was indeed heavily modified.  Rerouted hydraulic lines to and from the valve body, and the pressure regulator was re adjusted, because it's the only way they could get the car to do what people claimed, without being idiots and hitting the wrong pedals.  In same vein as the BS about the Corvair that Ralph Nader spouted to make a name for himself.

There was nothing wrong with the Audi cars. (Well in that regard anyway, there was plenty wrong with them from a reliability stand point, we made a lot of money off them in the day.)  The problem is we let people get driver's licenses from Cracker Jack boxes in this country.
View Quote
There were multiple incidents involving unmodified cars.  I guess you never heard of human factors and how things like offset pedals do not mesh well with live humans and cause/contribute to accidents.

@BlitzPig
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#50]
The TP9s are basically a Walther MMQ 2 clone made at a lower expense in Turkey with a profile that,
Well,
Turns away less people than the Walther.

Having subjectively less ugly looks than the Walther,
With objectively very similar trigger, function, and reliability,
Combined with a much lower price,
Has led to some decent opinions of them and more popularity than would have been expected.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top