Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2020 1:59:48 AM EDT
Let me start off by saying I dont know much about these guns.  I'm pretty knowledgable with guns in general but idk if these guns have any "quirks" and there maybe a simple solution.  Went to the range last week and a good friend got his dad said handgun and when they went to shoot, it would constantly get a jam.  The typical scenario was full mag, charge gun by hand by racking the slide and the round would feed fine.  After you shot that first round, the 2nd round would get "stuck" were the nose of the bullet would be almost straight up into the top of the barrels chamber opening, *if I had to guess, it was a good 70-80 degrees angle.   He first tried factory ammo and that happened.  He then tried some of my hot 115gr and 147gr 9mm I shoot and it did the same thing...first round chambered by racking the slide (or just hitting the slide release), fire, 2nd round jam.

He dropped the gun off to me about an hour ago but I won't have a chance to look at it till this weekend. Also it has the factory mags.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Did he try multiple mags and it happened in each one?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, he has 3 factory mags, all did the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Well curiosity got the better of me and I messed with it for alittle bit.   The 1st, and really only thing, I noticed right away was the trigger pin was sticking out about 1/16th or so of an inch.  I pushed it back in and there wasnt any binding or issue with it.

After I took it apart I noticed on the very bottom of the  barrels feed ramp there was the ever so small spur/lip.  I ran a bullet over it and you could definitely feel something was there.  Makes me wonder if the case may catch on it and cause the issue.

Besides that everything else looks fine.  I got to admit, it looks like a really easy version of a 1911.  I will see if I can polish out the lip first.  Worse case I'll take a fine file to it and knock it down.  But if anyone else can tell me to look at anything else, I'd appreciate it.  Would the recoil spring cause the issue?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:01:49 AM EDT
[#4]
New recoil springs first thing to try.  Start with highest and stop when you find the one that works.
https://www.gunsprings.com/BROWNING/1935%20(HI%20POWER)/cID1/mID3/dID5#42
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Will do, thanks.

The place that has the trigger pin also has factory recoil springs, so I'll have him get both.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#6]
What make and model of the BHP is it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What make and model of the BHP is it?
View Quote
I dont see anywhere it says WHAT it says.  Just the browning markings and it's in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it a high power that has a humped feed ramp to the chamber, or is it straight? If humped feed ramp, does the top of the chamber have the extension tab still in place?

The ramp is to assist the cartridge to clear the magazine, which forces the bullet to take a steeper angle. And the tab is to direct the bullet parallel to the axis of the chamber, which also affects the hookup of the base of the cartridge to the breach face and extractor. This limits bullet designs that will feed reliability, but the standard cartridge at the time was FMJ.

Many aftermarket barrels have straight feed ramps and no tab, and feed a larger variety of bullet shapes than the original Browning.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dont see anywhere it says WHAT it says.  Just the browning markings and it's in 9mm.
View Quote
There should be a serial number on the front strap.

Like the last poster says, old HiPowers are notorious for only doing well on FMJ because of the Feedramp angle/ shape.  If it's a MKII or newer that shouldn't be an issue unless like you say, has a burr.

Your symptoms are also classic signs of not enough lube, or a worn recoil spring.  OR, if the gun is brand new maybe some break in with hot ammo.  I don't thing HiPowers typically need a break in like a tight 1911, but it's possible.   Mine didn't.  My Hipower is also another gun that I've never had an issue with.  For the most part if all is working properly they are known to be reliable.

Oh yeah, one more thing.  Make sure you're not touching the front of the slide stop with your left thumb if you're shooting high thumbs.  That will induce cycling issues.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 9:51:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well the trigger pin and spring came in and I finally got a chance to take it to the range. Shot great.  Cant say what exactly the fix was, but if I had to guess, I'd say either the spring or the spring and polishing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Gooooood!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top