Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2023 12:13:27 AM EDT
I've never had issues deactivating the small nub on the Safariland holsters. I do however, occasionally fail to get the SLS hood open all the way with certain guns, my Staccato P mostly. My short fingers don't have the reach to throw the hood all the way forward when the web of my hand is in the beaver tail. Nub mod exists, surely an extension of the SLS hood thumb rest exists? Nope, not that I could find. So, I designed and 3d printed my own.

Enlarged, textured, and swept back toward your thumb for a more positive throw. I can reduce the layer height to get a cleaner print but honestly very happy with it. Printed in ASA, it'll resist UV damage and won't warp with heat. I have carbon filled nylon on hand to give a go for a final product. No modification to the holster required.

Edit: I use shockcord to tie my SLS hood and optic cover together. This prevents the optic cover from coming down inadvertently and snapping back up into place when the SLS hood is re-engaged. With the extra thickness of the thumb extension, I don't think the optic cover quite finds its way back to the full "locked" position. So, maybe some modification required. Mounted it is rock solid. You'll get more movement out of the SLS hood than the thumb pad itself.

Depending on interest, I may consider selling a few. Open to suggestions to modify the design, and may offer a few different variations.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 12:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Patent that yesterday

I'll take one
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#2]
OP just found himself a side business.

Thats pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I will probably make these available when I get them is PA6- CF Nylon. (Carbon filled Nylon). Stay tuned. Have a few different versions of thumb pad shape, I'm open to suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:05:41 PM EDT
[#4]
That's pretty slick.  I'd buy a few
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd buy a couple.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I HATE that Safariland rig we are forced to use...might need a dozen of those things.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the looks of that and would interested in one or two.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Please keep us posted
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the looks of that and would interested in one or two.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been testing it. Currently printed in ASA, it's performing great. I have a second thumb pad shape I made at the request of a friend. The nylon I ordered should be arriving this week, which should be even more durable, though I don't think it's even necessary. It's more temperamental to print with but if I can get it to work, it will be a better final product, which is what I want if I'm going to be sending them off to others. I'm running the ASA for now with no complaints.

This has also only been tested on the staccato 6000 series RDO holster to fit. It does not fit with 7000 series holsters for Glock or CZ p10 that I have on hand. I will check non-rdo glock 6000 series holster tomorrow

The second thumb pad shape option:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 3:02:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Update:

The carbon fiber infused Nylon material prints well. It's incredibly strong and a perfect match for this application. I made some minor tweaks, but with the new material I think this will now work with any model of Safariland SLS-equipped holster with the few tweaks I made. Note: this will not work in conjunction with Nub Mod as the Nub Mod makes the nub too thick to work around. The only tools you'll need is a 0.05 Allen key and thread locker if you want it. A pair of needle nose pliers do help insert the nuts into the base of the thumb pad as well.

$25 shipped includes thumb pad, securing bracket, three screws, three crush washers, three standard washers, and three nuts. It only requires two of each, figure I'd throw in an extra set to account for a lost small piece upon assembly. I can film a short video on how to install but it's pretty straight forward when you look at the pictures.

Note: 3d printers don't like 90° overhangs, because they print in layers. They have to print what are called "supports" to then print the initial layer of a 90° elevated overhang, otherwise they'd be printing in thin air. On the bottom side of these overhangs, the print will not look as nice and smooth as the top and sides. This will not decrease strength, it is simply a cosmetic blemish from the printing process. There may be slight variations in outcomes.

Pictures installed on 7000 series CZ P10c holster:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 11:14:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:12:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
please keep in mind for sale discussions outside the EE are a no-go

awesome job by the way!
View Quote
Roger that, my apologies. It wasn't originally intended to be
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:32:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Clamp on only?

Thought about a blind pin through the hood, to keep it from shifting?  Would require a hole punched or drilled through the hood.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
how about some video for those of us who are mentally challenged
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 12:56:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Clamp on only?

Thought about a blind pin through the hood, to keep it from shifting?  Would require a hole punched or drilled through the hood.
View Quote
It's more than secure, zero movement. The print itself wraps the hood, then the clamp just helps keep everything square. It's actually functional without the clamp, but together it's rock solid. When you actuate the hood, all the forces are handled by the main print. The clamp and screws don't bear any load, they just keep the bottom of the extension sucked close to the hood.

Pinning would be much harder and wouldn't be as tight as the clamp, because it needs to suck the print inward against the hood. Also getting a clean hole through it in the exact location to align with the print would be a pain for the end user, and you'd probably only have one shot to get it right.
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 1:15:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
how about some video for those of us who are mentally challenged
View Quote
If I find a place to market these, I'll have a YouTube video showing install. As far as function, it works the same as the regular hood, just a larger and more textured surface for more positive actuation. If you want a video showing that, I can make a short video demonstrating.

I have updated pictures I can post up, I dialed in the print settings and they are much cleaner now. I've printed probably 40 of these so far. I'm very happy with the final product.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I think its an exceptional idea. I've used SLS holsters as a tactical and patrol officer, and as an FPS subcontractor. Used SLS holsters with SP2340, G22 in Raptors and 96G in a 6004 drop rig.  My thumbs are screwy and something like this with maybe 3 different sizes of nubs would have been nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top