Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2021 7:37:28 PM EDT
I remember when I set up my 1.0 guns I used extra power striker springs because that was what everyone else was doing back then, you guys still doing that now? The springs in the 2.0 looked the same as the 1.0 so I grabbed and extra power from my parts box and threw it in, don't know if it'll make much difference but I don't think it can hurt.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the first I've heard of this and I've had several M&P's of various sizes over a decade. Never had a problem a striker spring would fix.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is the first I've heard of this and I've had several M&P's of various sizes over a decade. Never had a problem a striker spring would fix.
View Quote

Guys were thinking that the extra power spring would help if you ran into ammo with harder primers. Probably was more of a feel good thing than anything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a bunch of M&Ps and I have never had an issue with failure to ignite a primer due to a weak strike. Additionally, I would skip changing spring weight in a striker because it may have a negative impact in some other way. For example, shorter striker life, additional wear of the sear etcetera. The engineers employed by S&W figured it out and they put a decent warranty on their products.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't know that was a thing. Never had a problem with 1.0 or 2.0s.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Didn't know that was a thing. Never had a problem with 1.0 or 2.0s.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:54:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I had failure to fire issues with my 1.0 9MM FS M&P.  Two issues.  Neither of which was primers - but one of the recommendations 10 years or so back on the M&P forum was to replace the M&P striker spring(s) with Glock striker spring(s).  I had two M&Ps (9 and .40) so I just replaced both and those Glock springs are still in both slides.

Back to the failures to fire.  The stronger Glock striker spring did not fix the 9MM FTF issues.  The cause was two things.  Sear flutter and timing.  Getting some crud (funny looking debris in the well the sear spring sits in inside the frame as well as a new sear spring) fixed the sear flutter - indicated by no mark at all on the primer and a "dead" trigger after the next round was chambered.  An adjustment to the hoop/loop on the trigger bar fixed the timing issue - indicated by a small striker mark on the primer of the chambered round after hearing/feeling an odd click when pulling the trigger.  Striker would hit the striker block, bounce past and hit the primer, but not hard enough to ignite it.

I'm shooting that old 1.0 again now with a PC 5" slide/barrel kit on it.  Darn thing sat in the safe for almost 10 years while my CZ P07/P09 spoiled me.  

Different guns can be different.  My 9MM was full of problems.  The .40 was always good, even the trigger on the .40 was way better than the 9MM out of the box.  Just the way it is.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have around 10K through a few 2.0s now. Literally 0 issues with any of them. I wouldn't change it unless you really had a problem.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 2:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Hells no. I put an MCarbo lighter stroker spring and haven't had any issues with hard primers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I put an Mcarbo striker spring in my 1.0 PC slide (9MM) and the trigger pull went up 1/4 lb. vs. the stock striker spring.  Weird.  

I pulled it back out and laid them side by side and the Mcarbo spring was longer than the S&W spring.  Maybe the PC OR slides have a lighter striker spring vs. the standard M&P pistols.  I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I put an Mcarbo striker spring in my 1.0 PC slide (9MM) and the trigger pull went up 1/4 lb. vs. the stock striker spring.  Weird.  

I pulled it back out and laid them side by side and the Mcarbo spring was longer than the S&W spring.  Maybe the PC OR slides have a lighter striker spring vs. the standard M&P pistols.  I don't know.
View Quote

I compared the stock spring to an extra power and the stock spring was noticeably shorter.

I put the stock sitting back in the 2.0 but left the 1.0 alone.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I compared the stock spring to an extra power and the stock spring was noticeably shorter.

I put the stock sitting back in the 2.0 but left the 1.0 alone.
View Quote

That's super strange it went up. For me it lowered the pull lbs and zero issues with hard primers even with an Ed Brown skeletonized striker and Ed Brown extended striker block, which is supposed to assist in igniting harder primers and it has a noticeably cleaner break.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 4:47:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you guys having problems with steel cased ammo? I don't own a S&W M&P yet but I'm looking at a .45 shield. I shoot a lot of steel cased.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive never had a single striker issue in my 1.0
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#15]
As with most people here, never had a single issue with both 1st and 2nd gens on stock springs.  All while using a wide variety of ammo, including a bunch with shitty primers
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top